Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2020, 05:14 PM

346 posts, read 309,133 times

Advertisements

I've been needing help bad. I am single, 39.. MtF, I have the funds to start in a new place, but have had trouble securing an address.. once i can, I can get the process started a bit better. I been looking for living arrangements even in exchange for favors, a live in relationship, i wont get into specifics of those I look for but its been bad. Even getting rentals. I looked in Dallas, I now am looking in Omaha. I just want more space, places to see and go to.. I am going out of my mind around Portland.. I have no friends also. A lot of my family is aging as well. M mom and stepdad appear to not be leaving the NW as well but I fkn want to. Im not from here but been stuck here the last 2 years almost. So if someone can help, Id appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 07:31 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,059,379 times
I'm reluctant to touch this, but.

1. If you have money, I can only recommend using that to live vs your hinted at means. Using money sounds safer and healthier.

2. You can get an address by renting a UPS mailbox. They will do so with scanned and emailed(or faxed) mailbox agreements.

3. If by getting an address, you mean finding a place to live, zillow, trulia, rent.com, realtor.com, craigslist, etc all have options. It is never recommended to rent sight unseen. I typically scout out places on the map with a large amount of available rentals that suit my preferences and drive around to check them out.

4. Probably should rank a bit higher on the list---you likely need a job. It is likely more healthy and safer than your hinted at means of earning a place to live.

Old 08-14-2020, 01:38 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
I've been needing help bad. I am single, 39.. MtF, I have the funds to start in a new place, but have had trouble securing an address.. once i can, I can get the process started a bit better. I been looking for living arrangements even in exchange for favors, a live in relationship, i wont get into specifics of those I look for but its been bad. Even getting rentals. I looked in Dallas, I now am looking in Omaha. I just want more space, places to see and go to.. I am going out of my mind around Portland.. I have no friends also. A lot of my family is aging as well. M mom and stepdad appear to not be leaving the NW as well but I fkn want to. Im not from here but been stuck here the last 2 years almost. So if someone can help, Id appreciate it.
You're all over the place here so its very difficult to help. Basically, you just want to get out of Portland. Are you applying for jobs out of state? Are employers not considering you because you don't live locally? If you have funds, why can't you pick a city that has job opportunities of interest to you, rent a PO Box to gain a local address, stay in an extended stay hotel/motel while you apply, pack a car and leave?

Old 08-14-2020, 03:32 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Have you thought of a live in aide situation? Some older people, through an agency, will hire a live in aide to care for them and live there, too. You'd have a separate room and use of the kitchen, etc.

First, you'd have to become a CNA, take an aide course where you are. Get some experience. Then, if you moved you'd have that and could be hired by a Health care agency.

Here's requirements in Oregon.
https://www.nursinglicensure.org/cna...assistant.html

Here are free classes to become a CNA.
https://cnafreetraining.com/cna-training-in-oregon/

Old 08-14-2020, 08:47 PM

346 posts, read 309,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You're all over the place here so its very difficult to help. Basically, you just want to get out of Portland. Are you applying for jobs out of state? Are employers not considering you because you don't live locally? If you have funds, why can't you pick a city that has job opportunities of interest to you, rent a PO Box to gain a local address, stay in an extended stay hotel/motel while you apply, pack a car and leave?

Im not looking to complicate things and dont want people to complicate me. It seems like people in here are making this sound hard. I NEED A CHANGE.. and I WILL take a risk, even if I dont visit the place beforehand or have a job lined up. Life is too short to wait around. I hate Portland bad and if i get to the middle, at least Im closer to the NE if I have to visit and a plane wont be required.. Theres a lot im considering! I just need to get out of this hell hole and im not waiting too long to do it.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:55 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Im not looking to complicate things and dont want people to complicate me. It seems like people in here are making this sound hard. I NEED A CHANGE.. and I WILL take a risk, even if I dont visit the place beforehand or have a job lined up. Life is too short to wait around. I hate Portland bad and if i get to the middle, at least Im closer to the NE if I have to visit and a plane wont be required.. Theres a lot im considering! I just need to get out of this hell hole and im not waiting too long to do it.
Then I suppose the next logical question to ask is what was the point of your OP? Asking you a few rather important, clarifying questions (like whether you intend to get a job, some idea of your budget, what climate or other aspects of location matter to you) isn't trying to complicate you. Just the opposite. Don't know what's keeping you from hopping in the car and turning the key now...unless there IS in fact something specific you wanted feedback on.

By all means, if all you want to consider is how to get out of Portland this could solve your problem:

https://gisgeography.com/us-road-map/

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-15-2020 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues