Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:31 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,089,224 times

Advertisements

We've been trying to secure jobs so that we can move out of New England and down south. We've been wanting to do this for about 3 years now. The problem is now, my oldest is going into his senior year of HS. So any move we make before June 09 will result in one of us staying here with him and probably the other one (who finds the job) going to the new location with the other two. My middle is starting HS this fall and it's probably the ideal time to make a change. I worry if we wait another year, that he'll be too entrenched in HS and have a tougher time of it. Our youngest is still in elementary school but I think it will be hardest for her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:39 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese7 View Post
We are moving as well with 4 kids still at home. We have a 15 year old son he started High school this last year and will be in 10th grade. He is the kind of kid who has a few friend rather than many. He went to a really small high school and I;m concerned about that. He makes friends but is quite in school. I know it is hard for him, I would have had a hard time. When kids get this age you just worry period. I have three older than him all on there own. They stayed out of trouble made nice friend but I was there keeping an eye on them. I want to find a church and Like another poster said we are going from North to South. I think in the end he will be okay. My older two in school I'm not too concerned with they are both going into 1st and at that age they make friends easy.
North to South is a BIG transition especially for tweens! But in less than a year, ours managed fine and dandy. Provide the opportunity to keep in touch with the friends they left behind...phone, e-mail, text messaging, IM, etc. On their own, they will disengage, as they cannot be there on a blow-by-blow basis. A year ago my daughter who was 12 when we moved vowed she would never lose touch with her northern friends. Now, if and when she does, she could not even relate to their goings-on. She's had 3 schools in one year, in three states, so now she has a plethora of "interstate" friends she's boasts about. My son who had one best friend BFF up north was the one we were worried about. Being the shy one of the two, we thought he would flip. But the new friends and adventures plus a bigger house and more neighborhood kids than they ever were exposed to up north made up for all that and they both have adjusted quite well.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:25 PM

28 posts, read 77,580 times
Default moving kids

I noticed there was posts from March on from people moving like the woman who was moving from Minn. to Las Vegas how did these moves work out? I am looking to move Junior, Freshman and 7th Special Ed DHH have your children ajusted o.k. and are there things we should expect or look out for? Thanks.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM
Caa

940 posts, read 2,490,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
We are moving our 12 year old this summer. She will be starting 7th grade next year. What I'm mostly worried about is she will be going from a tiny, tiny private school to a public school that is 10 times larger. She is excited though, so I try not to worry. I also tell her that if she is uncomfortable or anything to let us know and we will find a private school for her. She wants to go to a big school to see how it is there and meet different types of people, but I am uncomfortable, I just can't imagine how it may feel to go from a school of 100 to a school of 1200. Also, more conflict, there are no trouble makers at her school now. But at the end of the day, I am the one more worried than she, which is a good thing.
Hi there. I saw your post and wondering how your daughter did. We are looking nto moving with a 11 year old and she is in a private school here in Baton Rouge and we are moving to Palm City Florida, and shes excited aand I am scared. What if this and what if that....what if the kids are all mean to her? I just et newvous for her, even though she is well liked and outgoing in her school now, how did your gal do? Thanks

Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Hi there. I saw your post and wondering how your daughter did. We are looking nto moving with a 11 year old and she is in a private school here in Baton Rouge and we are moving to Palm City Florida, and shes excited aand I am scared. What if this and what if that....what if the kids are all mean to her? I just et newvous for her, even though she is well liked and outgoing in her school now, how did your gal do? Thanks
We have moved twice since this thread started. My son had a horrible time the first move adjusting. He was bullied very badly his first year, came home crying all the time asking what was wrong with him. It broke my heart. Finally he settled in. Luckily my daughter had no problem adjusting. They were 8 and 6 at the time.

This past year we moved again and both kids have thrived. I think slot has to depend on the school and children they are surrounded by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues