Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 08:16 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,619,495 times

Advertisements

This is for a 738 mile move. All my stuff - 300 boxes, an upright piano I inherited from my departed father, and six pieces of furniture - is in a storage facility in Texas. I found an apartment in Missouri. I called a local mover in Texas and they quoted $5000 which seems high, to which they suggested I consider a van line or self-move using UHaul. UHaul I cannot do because I have no one to help me and I am not able to drive a truck due to being disabled. I am really flexible with the delivery time. I would appreciate ideas and advice to lower the expense somewhat. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 09:49 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
This is for a 738 mile move. All my stuff - 300 boxes, an upright piano I inherited from my departed father, and six pieces of furniture - is in a storage facility in Texas. I found an apartment in Missouri. I called a local mover in Texas and they quoted $5000 which seems high, to which they suggested I consider a van line or self-move using UHaul. UHaul I cannot do because I have no one to help me and I am not able to drive a truck due to being disabled. I am really flexible with the delivery time. I would appreciate ideas and advice to lower the expense somewhat. Thanks.
Pods.

https://www.pods.com/moving-services...=pods%20moving

Old 01-18-2021, 12:21 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,072,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I'd agree with PODS for the boxes and maybe some of the small furniture, but then you're still going to need a mover for the piano and big furniture.

OP, you didn't ask, but THREE HUNDRED boxes? Seems like an awful lot, depending how large each box is. Maybe it's time to pare down the hoard before the move? I'm sure you loved your Dad, but do you play the piano?

I'm still in the Executor stage, but if my Aunt's collection of dolls, glassware, and furniture ends up belonging to me, I'm going to reduce the volume by 90% BEFORE I move. Same with all my parents' treasures, the value of their "collecting" hobbies was during the time it gave them joy during the collection and ownership phase, which no longer exists for them. I've been detaching myself from the guilt that comes from not wanting to make their hobby MY hobby going forward - I've been storing my Dad's antique clocks for twenty-something years now, a whole bedroom filled with really nice antiques, which I rarely enter to view. The fairly recent revelation of what will happen to them when I croak, has given me the "permission" to find good homes for them now, well before that time. I'll probably keep the pick of the litter, but the rest? Buh, bye. Right after Covid.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:16 AM

2,719 posts, read 2,220,898 times
Doesn't Uhaul and Pod's have links where you can hire someone to load and unload?

Old 01-18-2021, 04:42 AM

I indeed play piano. I started when I was four years old and practiced at least an hour throughout my entire life. And still do. The boxes are all stackable - if I remember correct they are 14 in by 16 in. I am thinking about keeping all the 300 boxes in storage in Texas for a while but the piano and some small furniture is what I really want up here in Missouri to be comfortable.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:13 AM

6,823 posts, read 11,556,490 times
Why not consider a van line. Call local agents for Allied, North American, Atlas, Mayflower, etc. and get a couple quotes. I bet it will be less than $5,000.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:22 AM

50,384 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Doesn't Uhaul and Pod's have links where you can hire someone to load and unload?
They do, and we used them, but OP can’t drive it himself.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Why not consider a van line. Call local agents for Allied, North American, Atlas, Mayflower, etc. and get a couple quotes. I bet it will be less than $5,000.
Thanks! I am about to do that - I think maybe will contact Atlas and Mayflower.

Probably what I am going to do is go down to the Texas storage unit in March during spring break, hire junkhaulers to take away what I don't want or need, and pare it down to the piano and five pieces of light simple furniture. I know I need to pare down from 300 boxes down to 100 boxes, but considering the pandemic, and I have been working as an essential worker in a rehab hospital this whole time, I don't think that will happen for a year or so. I really need my piano here because it's my psychological support in these difficult days.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:07 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,072,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Thanks! I am about to do that - I think maybe will contact Atlas and Mayflower.

Probably what I am going to do is go down to the Texas storage unit in March during spring break, hire junkhaulers to take away what I don't want or need, and pare it down to the piano and five pieces of light simple furniture. I know I need to pare down from 300 boxes down to 100 boxes, but considering the pandemic, and I have been working as an essential worker in a rehab hospital this whole time, I don't think that will happen for a year or so. I really need my piano here because it's my psychological support in these difficult days.
Then you should absolutely keep it, no matter if it's a pain to move or not, LOL. Good Luck and God Bless.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:23 PM

Thank you for kind thoughts. I just called junkhaulers who will meet me at the storage unit in March during my spring break. Waiting for the van line to call me with a quote to move the piano and some simple furniture just to keep me comfortable after a long day of hospital work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues