Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,796 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice on a Chicago to Florida move. Our last move (within the city) we hired movers since our building gave us a mover credit. It was amazing not having to worry about loading and driving the truck. All our moves before this had been self-moves, so this was a treat and it might be hard going back to DIY moving, especially cross-country.

We are trying to figure out if hiring movers is economically feasible. From a few quotes, doing it ourselves and renting a truck is going to cost $1,800-$2,000. If professional movers is not much more than that ($600-$800 more) then it would be worth it. I’ve been quoted $3,600 all the way up to $10k for professional movers.

We have a 740 sq ft 1-bedroom apt and a bit more in a small storage unit (some furniture, large bins,). I don’t think we can do the pod type move due to our location in the city (high rise, no parking area).

Anyone have any affordable moving experiences and recommendations?

Ballpark estimates?

Would hiring movers just to load (and maybe unload) be worth it?

-Floridabound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 10:42 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
If you like the PODS/U-Pack container approach for the long haul part, consider hiring a local mover to pack & load your stuff at the apt, then they haul it to the container co's local terminal, and load the container there.

Old 04-14-2021, 11:24 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBound90 View Post
Looking for advice on a Chicago to Florida move. Our last move (within the city) we hired movers since our building gave us a mover credit. It was amazing not having to worry about loading and driving the truck. All our moves before this had been self-moves, so this was a treat and it might be hard going back to DIY moving, especially cross-country.

We are trying to figure out if hiring movers is economically feasible. From a few quotes, doing it ourselves and renting a truck is going to cost $1,800-$2,000. If professional movers is not much more than that ($600-$800 more) then it would be worth it. I’ve been quoted $3,600 all the way up to $10k for professional movers.

We have a 740 sq ft 1-bedroom apt and a bit more in a small storage unit (some furniture, large bins,). I don’t think we can do the pod type move due to our location in the city (high rise, no parking area).

Anyone have any affordable moving experiences and recommendations?

Ballpark estimates?

Would hiring movers just to load (and maybe unload) be worth it?

-Floridabound
I had a friend that moved out of Chicago recently across the country to another state a few months ago, and they used Allied Van's (obviously the local contractor in Chicago-she lives in Lincoln Park), and she said they were outstanding, and the move went super smoothly, she reported. Although I believe she mentioned that it was very expensive. I believe she said in the $8K range, but she said it was well worth it and if I ever need to move cross country, she recommended them.

To be honest with you, if you are moving across country, I kind of feel like that is when I'm most willing to eat the costs for peace of mind. Years ago when I lived in another city (on the east coast), I moved a couple times, and one time my friends and I did a local DIY move and I ended up with some pretty bad (although luckily somewhat minor in the grand-scheme-of-things) injuries. Another local move, I found one of the cheapest movers and unfortunately they were cheap for a reason. It was a nightmare: they came almost 2 hours late, couldn't get a hold of them, the movers were not professional at all, ended up with several damaged items, they didn't use any technology and were getting the math wrong on what I owed them, and to top it off, they double-charged my credit card. Needless to say, I usually go with the most organized and professional movers now and just eat the cost.

I did a local move in Chicago with 2 Men and a Truck and I loved them. Quick and easy. I believe they are national, although not sure how they are long distance.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2021, 05:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
When I moved to FL from MI I only brought the items I could fit in my car which I had shipped. I bought all new in FL. You stated you have a 1 bedroom apt so you may want to see if it is worth the cost to move the items

Old 04-16-2021, 10:21 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
When I moved to FL from MI I only brought the items I could fit in my car which I had shipped. I bought all new in FL. You stated you have a 1 bedroom apt so you may want to see if it is worth the cost to move the items
Hi there. That's good to know. The car shippers I had spoken to in the past all said nothing could be stored in the car for shipping. Did you use a nationally known shipper?

Old 04-23-2021, 01:43 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi there. That's good to know. The car shippers I had spoken to in the past all said nothing could be stored in the car for shipping. Did you use a nationally known shipper?
Some companies don’t allow items in the car. Some do but charge extra. Some only allow items in the trunk. I used to use a company regularly that is no longer in business. The last time I shipped a car from CA to FL they allowed items in the trunk for a fee. If you want I can try to find the number for the company. It was 8 years ago I used them. With auto transport companies I suggest you use a direct carrier and that the same driver transports your car for the whole trip. I had one experience and it was a company where they find a carrier to transport. My car arrived damaged in a major way and no one wanted to take responsibility. They each blamed each other

Old 05-07-2021, 09:27 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,375,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Some companies don’t allow items in the car. Some do but charge extra. Some only allow items in the trunk. I used to use a company regularly that is no longer in business. The last time I shipped a car from CA to FL they allowed items in the trunk for a fee. If you want I can try to find the number for the company. It was 8 years ago I used them. With auto transport companies I suggest you use a direct carrier and that the same driver transports your car for the whole trip. I had one experience and it was a company where they find a carrier to transport. My car arrived damaged in a major way and no one wanted to take responsibility. They each blamed each other
Very good info. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues