Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2021, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 8,077 times

Advertisements

After a tough year, I need to move to CA. The Yelp reviews are so marketing-heavy that it's hard to know what's real. I've gotten lot of cubic food estimates. I've found a few reviews that seem legit, but they're 10-15 years old! If anyone has had good or bad experiences with a mover, please share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 11:02 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbaneast View Post
After a tough year, I need to move to CA. The Yelp reviews are so marketing-heavy that it's hard to know what's real. I've gotten lot of cubic food estimates. I've found a few reviews that seem legit, but they're 10-15 years old! If anyone has had good or bad experiences with a mover, please share!
I suggest using a major van line like United, Allied,Atlas, Mayflower etc for an interstate move.

Also the estimates should be for weight, not cubic feet.

https://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5311

We used United Van Lines for our move from NJ to San Francisco. It was a mix of good and bad. I would definitely use United again but would avoid any packing services. Pack and label everything yourself. The key variable in a move will be the van driver. We had a great driver so it made up for a lot of the other problems.

Old 06-02-2021, 01:25 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I suggest using a major van line like United, Allied,Atlas, Mayflower etc for an interstate move.

We used United Van Lines for our move from NJ to San Francisco. It was a mix of good and bad. I would definitely use United again but would avoid any packing services. Pack and label everything yourself. The key variable in a move will be the van driver. We had a great driver so it made up for a lot of the other problems.
it's been many years but one of the major ones held me ransom the day of the move. they wanted to double or triple the price. the truck literally was sitting outside the house and i refused. used a local kid that was a nightmare for other reasons. possibly the problem was an estimate not in writing but i really don't remember. whatever it was i had no idea until the very day of the move. and i had to be out THAT day.

Old 06-20-2021, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,696 times
I need some legit companies as well. Moving from Minnesota to Phoenix in a few months.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:19 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
After a tough year, I need to move to CA...
Unless your stuff is objectively unique AND valuable ... don't drag it cross country.
Dispose of it as best you can right there in NY; maybe even sell some of it too.
Buy someone else's hand-off's when you get to SF. Use the moving money you save.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:51 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,241,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post

Yes, don’t go with anyone other than the major players. Mayflower was my choice, after getting burned (ie, furniture missing for 6 weeks) trying to save a few bucks. For some reason, it’s a very shady industry, stick with known entities.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:31 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Unless your stuff is objectively unique AND valuable ... don't drag it cross country.
Dispose of it as best you can right there in NY; maybe even sell some of it too.
Buy someone else's hand-off's when you get to SF. Use the moving money you save.
Ditto get rid of it. If you are driving rent a small uhaul for your personal belongings, if not driving box up and pack your personal stuff and UPS ground to SF.

That's an expensive move and the money you won't be paying to a moving company you can buy what you need out there

Old 08-26-2021, 08:50 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I couldn't agree more.

In many cases, it's cheaper to get rid of / sell stuff and buy new stuff in your new location.

I have a friend who moved cross country and a lot of his furniture was damaged or destroyed in the move. He got some of his money back, I think, but not all of it.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:21 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
Quote:
Check with UHaul. At one point, they were so desperate to get equipment back to CA, the prices were extremely low. You might rent one of their trucks for a cheap price.

Old 09-01-2021, 03:00 PM

14,478 posts, read 20,657,588 times
Try Uship dot com. Post your move dates and contents and let movers bid on your listing. Accept a bid that is within your budget and also reflects the feedback rating of the carrier. We have feedback over 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues