Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 02:26 PM

432 posts, read 416,571 times

Advertisements

I overnighted salmon from Ketchikan to New Hampshire once, it made it fine. - not 70 pounds though! $$$$$
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 03:29 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,724,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Must be some good fish. I would only move lobster.

It's halibut. Goes for about $25/lb normally, so I guess I've got about $1700 worth of fish.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:38 PM

30 posts, read 26,073 times
Some Home Depots rent out Honda 2000W Inverter Generators for $228 per week (3000W for $328). Maybe they will allow you to drop off at another location.

United Rentals is $170 per week for 2000W and $225 per week for 3000W.

They have daily rates too.

Some Budget car rental places have those Ford F150 pickups that include the built-in generator. I saw $126 per day.

Last edited by GypsyPeak75; 07-22-2021 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-22-2021, 06:47 PM

46 posts, read 29,585 times
How many pounds of dry ice were you planning on putting in? How big is the freezer? Any other frozen items with the fish?

I would not bother putting ice at the bottom. If I had some insulation, I would line the inside of the chest freezer then put in the fish - a protective layer (to separate the dry ice from the fish - even if it is in plastic bags) on top of the fish, then the dry ice. Throw a quilt / sleeping bag over the chest freezer.

I would check / add some more dry ice before going to the motel and again in the AM. Maybe research some grocery stores that sell dry ice midway?

Old 07-22-2021, 07:22 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,424,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes. Using a quantity of dry ice in any confined space with poor ventilation isn't a great idea. You'd need to leave a window open or keep the car's cabin ventilation flowing well.
In that case, the logical advice is "leave a window open," not MechAndy's dire "Do not keep the container inside of the car or SUV"

Old 07-23-2021, 01:47 AM

23,884 posts, read 33,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I have 70lbs of frozen halibut in a chest freezer in Chicago that I need to move to Texas. What's the best way of doing this? I thought about unplugging the freezer and packing it with dry ice. Would this work? How many days would it keep cold? I can make the drive in a day and a half.

I've had to keep meat and frozen veggies in a large wheeled cooler for over 24 hours due to our freezer icing up. Had to unplug it to thaw it out for the tech to come. I put water in large water bottles that are about a liter each but don't fill them all the way, I then freeze them to make ice to keep the frozen food cold. As long as it isn't opened, it all should stay pretty frozen between the frozen fish and frozen water bottles.

Also as mentioned, you may be able to get a car inverter but it may not be enough power to run the freezer.

I personally would go with a large cooler. They're made really well these days. I honestly don't think you'd have an issue. The worst that happens is some starts to thaw. It will easily refreeze when you get to your destination.

Old 07-23-2021, 10:04 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,724,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd42 View Post
How many pounds of dry ice were you planning on putting in? How big is the freezer? Any other frozen items with the fish?

I would not bother putting ice at the bottom. If I had some insulation, I would line the inside of the chest freezer then put in the fish - a protective layer (to separate the dry ice from the fish - even if it is in plastic bags) on top of the fish, then the dry ice. Throw a quilt / sleeping bag over the chest freezer.

I would check / add some more dry ice before going to the motel and again in the AM. Maybe research some grocery stores that sell dry ice midway?

I'm not sure how much dry ice. The freezer is a 5cu. ft chest freezer. and is about half full with fish.

I will probably drive 5-6 hours the first day, spend the night somewhere, then check the cooler in the morning. If the ice isn't doing well then I'll find some more to top it off. As soon as I get to Texas I'll bring the cooler in and plug it in.

I've got to get a few more things out of my storage facility, so I was going to rent a small van or moving truck and put the chest freezer in the back. I worked at a grocery store in college and whenever we had a hurricane with power outage, we would line the freezers with dry ice and everything stayed frozen, so I guess the same concept would work here.

Old 07-27-2021, 10:48 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,944,362 times
If it was me, I'd give it to friends as a farewell gift. All this dry ice and worry about it thawing at some point is too much hassle at a stressful time like moving day! There will be so many other hassles to deal with.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:07 PM

4,620 posts, read 15,000,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm not sure how much dry ice. The freezer is a 5cu. ft chest freezer. and is about half full with fish.

I will probably drive 5-6 hours the first day, spend the night somewhere, then check the cooler in the morning. If the ice isn't doing well then I'll find some more to top it off. As soon as I get to Texas I'll bring the cooler in and plug it in.

I've got to get a few more things out of my storage facility, so I was going to rent a small van or moving truck and put the chest freezer in the back. I worked at a grocery store in college and whenever we had a hurricane with power outage, we would line the freezers with dry ice and everything stayed frozen, so I guess the same concept would work here.
I think your idea will work fine. You can insulate the whole thing with newspaper, maybe put a little dry ice on the bottom, put in the fish, then fill the rest up with dry ice. The key is to not leave any air inside - air is the enemy of dry ice - so maybe crumple up newspaper to fill in any gaps (air pockets) and between the top layer of the dry ice top and the freezer cover. I would seal the cover's seams with duct tape or masking tape to keep put any air.

Old 07-27-2021, 04:54 PM

11,134 posts, read 7,191,653 times
Can't you just salt it and preserve it like they did in the old days before refrigeration? You could have portable fish for weeks!

Donating sounds great too, or a combo of donate and preserving/keeping, for the best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues