Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2021, 08:43 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,918,928 times

Advertisements

Will UPack, Pods, and/or Pack-Rat let you partially load a pod, take it away for a time, then bring it back to finish loading?

I'm wondering about emptying the house into the pod while popcorn ceiling is removed, new flooring. installed, and everything painted.

Then moving beds, table and chairs, rugs and a few other staging items back into the house while the house is on the market.

Have them take the partially loaded pod away. Right before closing, bring the pod back and finish loading it.

Is this possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 09:22 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,058,955 times
Not the same situation but when we were preparing for a move we rented 2 smaller pods rather than 1 larger one. The second pod was used for furniture which remained in the house until after the sale.

At the other end of the move, we had the pods delivered several days apart which made unpacking easier.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:19 AM

51,671 posts, read 25,918,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Not the same situation but when we were preparing for a move we rented 2 smaller pods rather than 1 larger one. The second pod was used for furniture which remained in the house until after the sale.

At the other end of the move, we had the pods delivered several days apart which made unpacking easier.
Good plan.

We will likely do that, and just store the beds, etc. in the garage.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 08-07-2021 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-09-2021, 04:40 PM

13,142 posts, read 21,082,041 times
They can drop off, pickup, store, drop off, pick up, store, drop off, pickup, store, drop off, pick up, store........ Just know they charge for each trip beyond the first drop, pickup, drop, so add that into your cost. However, since the cost of a single 16 foot container is lower than two 8 foot containers in rental, transit and associated charges, get quotes for all the options.

One item to also consider is due to the mass moving going on, in some areas, you may have a hard time scheduling multiple containers or multiple drops to meet your needs.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:48 PM

14,569 posts, read 12,232,301 times
Another caveat about the PODs concept... it doesn't really go door-to-door in all areas. We had a client use them when they moved from California, not knowing where they would end up yet, and the PODs people would only deliver the pod to a big city 100 miles away. They would not bring it out to more rural parts of WA. Clients had to drive to the pod, rent a UHaul truck, and move everything from the pod to the truck themselves, and then unload it again at their new home.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,711,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
They can drop off, pickup, store, drop off, pick up, store, drop off, pickup, store, drop off, pick up, store........ Just know they charge for each trip beyond the first drop, pickup, drop, so add that into your cost. However, since the cost of a single 16 foot container is lower than two 8 foot containers in rental, transit and associated charges, get quotes for all the options.

One item to also consider is due to the mass moving going on, in some areas, you may have a hard time scheduling multiple containers or multiple drops to meet your needs.
I know I’ve looked to rent Pods twice, and in both occasions, they had no smaller pods. The only options were the huge pods. So my guess is that availability for a single large pod will be better than for two small pods.

Old 08-10-2021, 09:03 AM

13,142 posts, read 21,082,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I know I’ve looked to rent Pods twice, and in both occasions, they had no smaller pods. The only options were the huge pods. So my guess is that availability for a single large pod will be better than for two small pods.
Good point; availability has doomed many a move recently.

I'll say this, with U-Haul's introduction of the metal/composite containers, their pricing on small containers is a very good deal. I think the only downside people had with U-Haul's boxes was the wood. Now with them being metal and/or composite, they are the most competitive for small containers and with greater availability.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:34 PM

7,530 posts, read 13,675,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Good point; availability has doomed many a move recently.

I'll say this, with U-Haul's introduction of the metal/composite containers, their pricing on small containers is a very good deal. I think the only downside people had with U-Haul's boxes was the wood. Now with them being metal and/or composite, they are the most competitive for small containers and with greater availability.
Don't forget ABF U-Pack's ReloCubes, which IIRC are larger than U-boxes, but smaller than the big PODS. And are all metal.

https://www.upack.com/how-upack-work...ving-container

Old 08-11-2021, 09:00 AM

6,355 posts, read 4,947,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Will UPack, Pods, and/or Pack-Rat let you partially load a pod, take it away for a time, then bring it back to finish loading?
I can't answer that question as I don't own a pod company.

Call up a pod company and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues