Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2021, 06:50 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Problem is EVERYONE is moving to NC and SC. It is so crowded and, we found, because we went looking around down there, filled with (sorry) obnoxious New England people. Really. And the Florida half backs who can't stand heat in the summer (imagine)

If you're going to move down there, try to be nice to the locals.

We moved from the west coast to the east coast knowing NO ONE here and haven't regretted it for one minute.
Couldn't rep you again so here it is.

I was looking in a particular area and have stopped, due to so many northerners heading there. Most important thing is not to move to a place and expect it to change to you. People moving from urban to rural often express shock and surprise at no sidewalks, no trash pickup, no streetlights and then clamor for these things. Don't.

I read a post from a guy who moved from CT to FL, and immediately got on the board of his HOA so he could "show them how it's done". Don't be that guy.

Moving away from family? I don't have kids, but I can tell you thought of moving away from siblings doesn't bother me. Moving away from parents apparently does, even though we don't see each other often.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:57 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
Thanks!! I will certainly be nice to the locals and do not plan on bringing any northern opinions with me. CT is certainly not a state I really agree with anything on.

I'm moving from a similar suburb here to one there. Not changing from city to country or vice versa. So it shouldn't be too much of a shock. I've visited Sc many times since we do have tiny bit of family there.

I do realize lots of people are moving South, likely for many of the same reasons I am. So I have no problem being in an area that has growth to it.

Thanks for all this input, it's great.

Old 11-25-2021, 10:10 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I've replied to this type of scenario many times. In short, be careful of moving to a very different region, with a very different culture. I/we found it to be very unsettling and even annoying. People think, act, react, very differently, to where you can feel like an alien or stranger in a strange land.

Sometimes, all the focus on politics and/or expenses can take your focus on cultural differences, which run much deeper. We ended up moving back to where we were from, despite the original complaints, which became of lesser significance.
I had the opposite experience. I grew up in the DC area and moved to the west coast when I was 30. I didn't realize until I moved that half the reason I was often so depressed in MD is that I just don't like it there. I felt "like an alien or stranger in a strange land." And it's not even something I can articulate - the place just never suited me. When I've gone back to visit friends and family, I can't wait to leave. There's nothing WRONG with it; it's just not "me." When I moved to the West Coast, everything about it just felt "right." It's been 32 years and I've never regretted taking the plunge.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:02 PM

28 posts, read 15,790 times
I wouldn't move further than 4 hrs from family.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:58 PM

6,575 posts, read 4,966,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Thanks!! I will certainly be nice to the locals and do not plan on bringing any northern opinions with me. CT is certainly not a state I really agree with anything on.

I'm moving from a similar suburb here to one there. Not changing from city to country or vice versa. So it shouldn't be too much of a shock. I've visited Sc many times since we do have tiny bit of family there.

I do realize lots of people are moving South, likely for many of the same reasons I am. So I have no problem being in an area that has growth to it.

Thanks for all this input, it's great.
haha I have the same feelings about CT most of the time It should help that you know the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorM View Post
I wouldn't move further than 4 hrs from family.
I have "days drive" in my head - so that's 10 hours give or take. I can drive longer but don't enjoy driving at night that much anymore so I try to think about winter daylight.

Old 11-25-2021, 09:14 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
I moved 6,000 miles from Ca to the Provence region in the South of France. I just got back after visiting my family ( mom dad, twin brother) in Nevada and Arizona.

Old 11-26-2021, 01:22 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I moved 6,000 miles from Ca to the Provence region in the South of France. I just got back after visiting my family ( mom dad, twin brother) in Nevada and Arizona.
I have a friend who recently announced she is moving to France. Maybe France is the new SC.

Old 11-26-2021, 02:08 AM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,407 times
You only live once. May as well live somewhere where you will have an easier, less expensive life. Your family will adjust to you moving away even though it may be rough at first.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:05 AM

1,912 posts, read 1,127,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
We are from CT, both myself and my husband have lived here all our lives. Our families live here or within a hour or two drive from us. We have 3 kids and are considering moving South Carolina. ( I should say we do have one set of parents down there, though where we are looking we'd still be 4 hrs away)

We do not have to move. However, my dh works remotely so he can keep his job and work from anywhere and I only work part time, which I can likely duplicate anywhere as well.

Our oldest is going off to college, so we will have one teen and a grade schooler left at home.

Here is our thought process: CT is getting increasingly more expensive, taxes are outrageous and our home is worth more then it likely will ever be if we sell soon. We also do not identify with most of the politics in CT and feel as though now is the time for something new. Our kids are on board as we've discussed this with them. BUT, my only hesitation is worrying if I will regret it. We see our families on birthdays and holidays mostly. Some of them we will see just because. I've never lived away from family but want to push myself to .ale friends and fit in more with the people around me. I don't even have any close friends and have lived here forever. I'm assuming we will come back to visit once a year at Christmas.

I was born in CT and always stayed because family was here and I don't want my kids to stay and feel the same way I do. I'd rather set them up in a state that's more affordable and if I do it now I think they will see it as their home and not CT. I could wait until they all leave the house and retire down there but then they may be settled in CT with their families and not want to leave. So then I'd be moving away from them (which would be much harder then moving away from siblings etc).

Have you made a long distance move with kids? Was it worth it? Did it feel like home? I'm struggling with this decision but need to make one soon.
I don't have kids and have not moved with kids, but:

1. South Carolina has low taxes and relatively low housing prices. But housing prices are not dirt-cheap. So it'll be cheaper than Connecticut, but it's not "nothing".

2. Unless you live in the Charlotte suburbs, the South Carolina-Connecticut trip will require a connection and some driving or other transportation in the ground. Charlotte-LaGuardia is a very, very heavily traveled route, with lots of quick flights, but if you'll be traveling from another airport in SC, it'll take longer.

3. South Carolina is more conservative politically, although it's certainly not a Democrat-free zone or anything; particularly in Greenville (city, not county), Columbia and Charleston, there are a good number of Democrats.

4. South Carolina is HOT. Greenville, not so much, but Columbia and especially the coast are boiling hot in the summer.

Have you considered New Hampshire? It has plenty of conservative people in it (but not as many Christians per capita as SC) and is close, and not HOT.

PS: South Carolina is VERY friendly. People will force themselves on you and become your friend, whether you want it or not. And prepare to be hugged.

Old 11-26-2021, 11:33 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,430,619 times
Yes, I've noticed that we would need connector flights in most cases to visit back home. It's certainly annoying, but not enough to hold me back from going.

I am mostly leaning towards Greenville suburbs!!

I'm more then happy with a conservative place, so no worries there.

I have not considered New Hampshire, mostly because we hate the cold and the snow...one small reason we want to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues