Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM

186 posts, read 1,062,371 times

Advertisements

Has anyone every hired a driver? We are one driver short. We have tried to come up with some creative ideas but nothing is working out so far. I know you can hire people to drive a truck for you. I was just curious what the expense was and also if you are responsible for them to return back. I wouldn't mind paying for a bus ticket but a flight is out of the question. We are moving 5 1/2 hours away if that helps at all.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 12:15 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,415,020 times
Advertise on craigs list, seems theres quite a few options there

Old 05-20-2008, 03:22 PM

319 posts, read 1,912,410 times
Do you have any friends/family who are up for an adventure? We have a friend that is willing to be the extra driver for the truck (and to keep my fiance entertained) on our 1,600 mi move in a couple weeks. We're all in our twenties, but he's willing to join us if we pay for his food (and likely beer!). He's lucky though because as an airline pilot he can fly for free to meet up with us and then go home. I'd much rather pay a friend all expenses and for them to have a trip then have a stranger have anything to do with my move.

I'd be very wary of letting anyone I don't know drive my car or a truck I rented in my name. Have you thought of shipping a car to free up a driver? Or, towing it behind the truck? Not sure what your set-up is, the size of your family, or how many drivers you have...

For 5.5 hours, if you had to make more than one trip it wouldn't be out of the question, especially if you could space out going back for the other car at least a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues