Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 07:23 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,199,915 times

Advertisements

Now that you've moved, does your new home still feel temporary? Like you are just there for a short time and will be going HOME to the house you just moved from because that is still HOME?

Does that even make sense?

Old 08-11-2023, 06:05 AM

7,243 posts, read 7,066,230 times
I get it. It takes a while to get that mental shift.

Frankly where we live now, even after 5 years, still seems a bit temporary. While I like our house, the area we live in seems lacking in several ways. I already know we will move from here someday. I find myself thinking of things I could do to the house - like upgrade the flooring upstairs - and I'm mentally weighing if I want to put that kind of effort and expense into a place I'm not interested in staying long term.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:31 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
We've been in our current house 25 years. Our kids grew up here. Before that we had lived in several states while in the service. Yet our current place isn't "home" to me. "Home" to me will always be one of two other places we lived. Not specifically the house, but the location. Both the others had the right combination of culture, nature, land, terrain, environment that said "home" to me. Living in those places was just different. Even just going back for a visit, it feels like I never left. Even though my body lives here, my soul will always live there.

Old 08-11-2023, 10:25 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Now that you've moved, does your new home still feel temporary? Like you are just there for a short time and will be going HOME to the house you just moved from because that is still HOME?

HOME IS WHERE THE CATS ARE!

Once they move in, that's the home and the place before is empty.....even if you are still moving cargo.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:21 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
After about 14 months, I still feel like I live in my current city, but where I moved from is still home. It’s less about the house and more about the social connections in my past city. Maybe it’ll change, maybe it won’t.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:41 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
After about 14 months, I still feel like I live in my current city, but where I moved from is still home. It’s less about the house and more about the social connections in my past city. Maybe it’ll change, maybe it won’t.
That plus the reasons behind moving to that place. I've moved a lot during my life mostly dictated by my career. Most of the places I've lived were stepping stones along the path to an ultimate destination. All those stepping stones felt temporary despite the length of time I spent standing on them. I didn't feel the urge to anchor myself all that much because the goal was still floating ahead on the horizon in my mind's eye. Some places I liked better than others, but they still felt temporary. I now live in a place that is as close to the imagined destination as I'm likely to get. The house itself (I've lived here 3 years) still needs work to make it feel as if it truly does belong to me, so it still feels a bit temporary. Just not in the same way. I don't adore the house itself. It's boring but efficient. Much of that is fixable. While it isn't my heart house, I do like its setting and the surrounding area. For the first time in my adult life I have no plans or desire to leave.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-11-2023 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-11-2023, 03:12 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I have to give it about a year for it to feel like home and feel like it's my house that I own. Before that, it will feel rather foreign like I'm visiting. Perhaps it's because after a year, I've lived there through 4 seasons, I don't know.

Old 08-11-2023, 05:25 PM

577 posts, read 299,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post

Our new home in a different city from where we were while I was working, felt like home from day 1 of the visit to see it.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:19 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I have to give it about a year for it to feel like home and feel like it's my house that I own. Before that, it will feel rather foreign like I'm visiting. Perhaps it's because after a year, I've lived there through 4 seasons, I don't know.
It's the same for me. I need to go through the seasons and holidays. By that time I'll have figured out where to shop for everything, have a primary care provider (family doc), someone who will give me a decent haircut, and some good restaurants. I've stopped rearranging things in the kitchen and closets. I really feel comfortable when I know the place well enough to not consult a map when a road is closed during an emergency.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:22 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I think I've moved too many times; no place feels like home.

16 years in my parents' house, then a bunch of rentals over ten years.
We bought a house, stayed 18 years, then rented around for three years, bought another house and lived there for 10 years, went on the road for a year, then bought our current home 5 years ago. Yes, it's home, but I'm not particularly attached to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues