Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 03:42 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I disagree with your first sentence. In some places it may be hard especially in a small town where everyone grew up together. But in a large 55+ such as The Villages or the original Sun City making friends is a breeze.
I disagree. In large 55 communities, you may know many people, through clubs and sports.....but friends? In large communities, there are just to many people, to fast paced, to get to know people.

Old 01-07-2024, 05:15 PM

256 posts, read 113,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I disagree. In large 55 communities, you may know many people, through clubs and sports.....but friends? In large communities, there are just to many people, to fast paced, to get to know people.
But the flip side of that is : with so many people, you are likely to find 1 or 2 that you have something in common with.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:11 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
1. and 2. don't surprise me at all. In fact people in tourist towns are often superficially polite and welcoming specifically because their livelihood depends on it. Living there is a whole 'nother ballgame to just being a visitor.

One thing I'll add is that getting repairs done can be more difficult in a small town or rural area. I have found that tradespeople are more lax about schedules and appointment times, etc. The only thing being in a hurry will get you is high blood pressure.

Also I'm somewhat disappointed to find that my area has been growing at a rate much faster than I anticipated. I'm already starting to feel the pressure of more traffic, longer lines, and more crowded conditions. I feel like I might be squeezed out of an area I had hoped to quietly enjoy for much longer.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehcsrop View Post
Good thread. I opened this because I think I need to move but have no idea where to go. I have had friends (we are all retired) move to a small town only to relocate to be closer to medical facilities.

Of course I understand the provincial thinking one would encounter in a small town. I'm Californian to the bone from the surfer age and I lived in AL for a year. Man did I get flack. The only thing worse would have been if I had moved down from New England. A doctor from Ohio seemed to be doing OK, but he was needed. I was not.

Moving anywhere from CA is asking for pushback so I guess I'll stay. How to downsize here is very tough. It basically means stepping down the financial/cultural ladder. That is not meant to be offensive.
We moved from Orange County to a small town in SC. Surprise surprise we've met many other refugees and we all love it here. My son moved to AL and they also fit right in.

None of us received any pushback coming from CA, so I can't really relate to your experience. Financially we're all in much better shape due to lower cost of living in about everything. Culturally? Not sure what you mean. We do like that our areas now are more diverse (more blacks, more elderly, more diverse income range) than CA.

As with any move to anywhere, you make your new connections and friends through work, school, kids' activities, church, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues