Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:29 AM

65 posts, read 211,309 times

Advertisements

Mu husband had taken a job in another state and went there to start the job. He is looking for a home to rent. It is too far for me to go there and we will join him in a few weeks. This is my second marriage and we have lived in 2 places in the past 15 years and we have kids. I hAve lived in more. I told him what I want him to look at and for. I know he has done his best and that it has been hard for him. But... yesterday he had two houses he could rent. Both were okay anf both were big enough. I can't see the homes so it is hard for me. He notices marks on walls things that are to me not that big a deal. I asked about storage and cupboards and did he look inside them. No, Closets how big didn't check. So we decided on the one house and I asked him to just take me on a walk through the house so that I could pcture it in my head. I have no idea what he is explaining to me. I got upset and he got upset. Anyway has anyone else had to have their husbands pick out there home to relocate and what was your experience as a women after you saw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:39 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,167,485 times
does he have a camera(digital or video) or a camera phone he can take and send some pics to you real quick?
And no, I've not had to deal with that but good luck to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan4 View Post
Mu husband had taken a job in another state and went there to start the job. He is looking for a home to rent. It is too far for me to go there and we will join him in a few weeks. This is my second marriage and we have lived in 2 places in the past 15 years and we have kids. I hAve lived in more. I told him what I want him to look at and for. I know he has done his best and that it has been hard for him. But... yesterday he had two houses he could rent. Both were okay anf both were big enough. I can't see the homes so it is hard for me. He notices marks on walls things that are to me not that big a deal. I asked about storage and cupboards and did he look inside them. No, Closets how big didn't check. So we decided on the one house and I asked him to just take me on a walk through the house so that I could pcture it in my head. I have no idea what he is explaining to me. I got upset and he got upset. Anyway has anyone else had to have their husbands pick out there home to relocate and what was your experience as a women after you saw it.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
This is a bad idea. My husband would not dare do this by himself. If anything, I had carte blanche ability to BUY not just rent a place, sight unseen to him. Perhaps you should have taken a weekend and flown over there to help select the house. If it isn't too late, I suggest you do. Men just don't look for the things that are important to women.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:23 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
does he have a camera(digital or video) or a camera phone he can take and send some pics to you real quick?
And no, I've not had to deal with that but good luck to you
Best idea. If he doesn't have one, you can pick up one for a lot less than it would cost to fly out there (and figure out what to do with the kiddos).

Is this a short-term rental or will it be your permanent home? If it's a short-term (3-6 months while you look for a perm place), perhaps you can just make-do with whatever he picks out.

I will say we've done the same thing twice with our family. Both were short-term deals. Husband went out early for work, picked a place and son and I followed later. We got no pictures, no nothing. My husband, like yours, is absolutely horrible at describing so we had to go on blind faith .

I must say, in both cases, I was pleasantly surprised. One time, he rented a nice 2-bedroom apartment with balcony, fireplace and underground parking for one car. The second time, he found a whole 3-bedroom house, with deck, fireplace, attached 2-car garage and spectacular view.

If you and he have been on the same page up 'til now regarding the kinds of things you like and don't like in a home, I'm sure he'll find a fine place. Even if he can't really describe it

Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
No. Nonononono.

You must have pics before he rents. Make him buy some kind of digital camera or camera phone and send you pics.

Depending on your furniture he needs to measure the rooms. Needs to inventory closet space, kitchen cabinet and counter space, check under sinks for water leaks, possible mold.

He probably didn't even notice whether or not the house[s] had a dishwasher. Washer/dryer?

I feel for you. If it were my husband I know I'd be panic stricken. He's sweet, but a lummox.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:56 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsfan4 View Post
Anyway has anyone else had to have their husbands pick out there home to relocate and what was your experience as a women after you saw it.
He needs to get a digital camera asap& send the pics to you.

While I love my husband with all my heart, there are just some things that have to be done as a team.

We moved from out of state, etc & he looked at homes. And yep, when I asked him about such things as closet space, kitchen counter space, etc he was about as still as a deer in headlights....

We were fortunate enough to be together when we did find a home to our liking but up to that point there were a tremendous amount of phone calls, emails, pics, & yes, "hurt" feelings due to my obsessive complusiveness with certain things that are irrevelant to him.

Get pics sent to you. Write out a list of the pics YOU want & have him take those.

Good luck.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

He probably didn't even notice whether or not the house[s] had a dishwasher. Washer/dryer?
And if those are coming with the home, the potential owner/renter needs to look inside them Is it a deal breaker, probably not, but at least it gives one a heads up of what they are buying or renting.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
Eh, we did this. I flew out and picked the house, showed it to husband, and he OK'd it. Then I flew home. The money for the ticket was WELL WORTH IT.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:01 PM

65 posts, read 211,309 times
Well I do know what comes with the house. I found it on the Craig list and the people were very nice and I have spoke with her by e-mail and my husband met with her when he looked at the house and she was very nice. He rented it last night for one year so we will see. He did really talk to people about the schools and the tentant the lives there now told him about heating cost that he has. The lady when she listed on the Craig list descibed what the house had but I wanted details. Husbands don't see details. He said the family room was right by the front door. What around here the front room is by the front door and that is why it is called a front room. Then when I asked him where is the front room he couldn't remember. How can you not know where a front room is. I know he has done his best and I will have to try and hold my mouth and next year we can always move. I just think Women need to see the house in their head. Well he moves in him and his bag of clothes on July 1 and we go on JUly 15. He needed to rent something as it just takes so long to contact people and go look and then you get lost. He really needed this weight off him so he could focuss on the job . We are moving to North Carolina my husband is going to be working in the Hampton roads but we found it cheaper to find a home in North Carolina close to the Virginia line. It will be from Michigan a good 10 hours or more to move and we have a 15,6,5,18 month old so I don't think I will be in the bests of moods when I get there and Please dear God it better be akay.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:01 PM

602 posts, read 1,962,995 times
My husband picked out our house here in Albany, and as we like the same things in houses and lots, he did a beautiful job. Treed corner lot, lovely little brick rancher, generally in good shape. The only thing wrong with it is that it is in this horrible hellhole of a town, and now (17 months later) I am DYING TO GET OUT OF HERE and he doesn't want to leave. I am more depressed than I have been in a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues