Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:53 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times

Advertisements

Don't stop in St Louis... that was the mistake, especially East St. Louis it is a %$^#&@*(.
You should be fine. don't go to slums though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
You could get floater insurance for your contents. It could be a free-standing policy or part of your homeowners policy if you let your insurer know. There will be a special premium for those contents while it is in transit.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 AM

152 posts, read 432,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Don't stop in St Louis... that was the mistake, especially East St. Louis it is a %$^#&@*(.
You should be fine. don't go to slums though.
Hmm, next time we talk I'll ask what part of SL he was in.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:33 AM

152 posts, read 432,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
You could get floater insurance for your contents. It could be a free-standing policy or part of your homeowners policy if you let your insurer know. There will be a special premium for those contents while it is in transit.
VERY good to know! Thanks!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:49 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,101,509 times
Do everything CLEARLY VISIBLE that you can do to deter thieves -- including The Club correctly positioned (according to the included instructions). The more potential thieves can see that getting your stuff will take time and work, the more likely they are to look for something much easier to steal.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:30 AM

656 posts, read 1,309,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlightCellist View Post
2 years ago our friend moved from PA to Kansas. He stopped overnight in SL. He woke up in the morning to find his moving truck was stolen. He lost everything. Nothing was ever recovered.

Needless to saw that has me a little nervous. We are moving from PA to FL and I'm scared to spend the night in a hotel.

Any suggestions how we can help avoid this?

Thanks!
OMG!! that's terrible. well, all i can say is that the odds of that happening are extremely low. so don't stress about it. when you go enjoy your trip.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:11 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,783 times
I wonder how much it would cost to install a low-jack on the truck, just temporarily? That way if it gets taken, it can be tracked down. Just a thought.........

Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
lojacks are expensive

Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times
Well, I just want to say I appreciate the OP, I took extra special care when we moved last week to position the truck under the motel window which I kept open so if nothing else the dog could hear tampering. We got where we were going with all the crap we were foolish enough to bring!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:12 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Moonlight, what happened to you wasn't near as bad as a family friend a few years back. His brother passed away about 3 states away. Instead of sending the Hearse, the funeral homes sends their van to pick up the body. Back end was equipped like a Hearse and the cab was partially enclosed. Driver picked up my friend's brother and had to stop for the night coming back. Woke up the next morning, you guessed it, the van, with it's contents, were gone! He called the police who said he had nothing to worry about. The van had been reported deserted on the side of the road about 3 am. When police got there, the driver's door and the back door to the van were open and they said you could see by the dew on everything, that the thief took out across the fields...away from the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues