Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 PM

672 posts, read 5,822,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post

I would say that based on all yr info you two have to sacrifice on something. If he loves his job then he may need to put up with a commute in order to buy a little farther out. Dang, I thought CA real estate was outrageous! What are you looking at mini mansions for almost a million??? Always keep in mind that your very first property may have to be a starter home as they are referred to. Meaning that it may not be yr dream house with everything you can imagine but it will get u into the real estate game and improve yr asset portfolio. Then you work yr way up to yr dream home.
That's the thing--here in DC, the $1 million places are what most people would consider "starter homes." These are not mansions in any sense of the word. They're very modest, small houses that aren't very nice and need a lot of work. Outdated kitchens, small rooms, no yard. For $400K you can get a condo. For SFH, the cost is much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
If your DH is truly in high demand, I'd explore other career options so you can buy a single family home, start a family, and get on with your lives. I've had lots of jobs and there were things to love about all of them. I'm sure he'll land on his feet. I can tell you that here in the Midwest you can get an awesome house (4 bedroom/2bath/three car garage/half acre lot/basement) in a wonderful, safe, walkable neighborhood with good schools for under $300,000. Best wishes!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
If your DH is truly in high demand, I'd explore other career options so you can buy a single family home, start a family, and get on with your lives. I've had lots of jobs and there were things to love about all of them. I'm sure he'll land on his feet. I can tell you that here in the Midwest you can get an awesome house (4 bedroom/2bath/three car garage/half acre lot/basement) in a wonderful, safe, walkable neighborhood with good schools for under $300,000. Best wishes!
I know the midwest has great real estate options that are well-priced. We are looking into the midwest, but we're concerned about the fact that there's not much to drive to around there. We love the fact that on the East Coast there's so much to do within a short drive: from DC we can go to the Atlantic beaches, NYC, Philly, the Poconos, any number of interesting towns for weekend getaways--Charlottesville, Annapolis, etc. In a place like Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, etc.--there's not a whole lot in terms of that. That's our only qualm about moving to the midwest.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 AM

49 posts, read 159,789 times
My husband, daughter and I just moved from the DC area 2 years ago to Charlotte b/c we could no longer afford it, (after I didn't work for a year while pregnant - long story). We knew that we could move to Charlotte and actually have a house. It's not all that it's cracked up to be. While in the DC area, we rented, and then bought a townhouse.
Like you and your husband, we were tired of living in such close quarters, and were initially excited when we moved and were able to have our house builtm (something we would have never been able to do in DC). We've been in our house for 1 year, and now our excitment is gone. We're planning to move back to DC in the next 2 years. If you are just moving to buy a house, and your husband has a great job - it's not worth it. Now we have to keep up the yard, fix things ourselves around the house, cut our grass when the neighbors cut their grass, etc.
I would think about moving out to Columbia, Laurel, Fairfax, or other places where it's not as expensive as living so close to DC itself.
If we had to do it all over again - we would have made better financial choices, found ways to earn extra income, and stayed!! Moving for material reasons was not a very smart choice for us at all!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:41 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I know the midwest has great real estate options that are well-priced. We are looking into the midwest, but we're concerned about the fact that there's not much to drive to around there. We love the fact that on the East Coast there's so much to do within a short drive: from DC we can go to the Atlantic beaches, NYC, Philly, the Poconos, any number of interesting towns for weekend getaways--Charlottesville, Annapolis, etc. In a place like Indianapolis, Columbus, Cleveland, etc.--there's not a whole lot in terms of that. That's our only qualm about moving to the midwest.
There are a lot of weekend getaway drives from Cleveland. It's not like Cleveland is in the middle of no where like some midwestern towns.

Here are "One-Tank Trips" from Cleveland
OTT

MyFox Cleveland | One Tank Trips: Top 100 Trips

Ohio's Lake Erie Shores & Islands, Cedar Point, Family Vacation

Lake Erie Island Sites

There's the dunes and beaches in Michigan

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (U.S. National Park Service)

Plenty in PA:
VisitPA :: Budget Road Trips in PA :: Cleveland 300-mile Roadtrip (http://www.visitpa.com/visitpa/budgetRoadtrips.pa?area=budget&pg=cleveland300 - broken link)

Why not check out Cook's Forest: Cooks Forest is another world that's close to home - Cleveland.com

Chicago, Detroit, Windsor, Erie, and Amish country are all pretty close. I'm sure you would find plenty of things to explore if you moved to Northeast Ohio.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
I am not a realtor but you're going to think I am one. You stated that you have gone to open houses and only seen "crap" houses. Have you thought about working with a good realtor and letting them find you a non-crap house that would work with your hubby's current job? The best houses never make it to an Open House! You never know, your dream home might be near you right now and in your price range PLUS your hubby could keep his awesome job! Just a thought.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I am not a realtor but you're going to think I am one. You stated that you have gone to open houses and only seen "crap" houses. Have you thought about working with a good realtor and letting them find you a non-crap house that would work with your hubby's current job? The best houses never make it to an Open House! You never know, your dream home might be near you right now and in your price range PLUS your hubby could keep his awesome job! Just a thought.
Yes, we do have a realtor. We haven't looked at any houses with him yet, but I get weekly emails listing all the newest listings with photos, etc. Everything so far is either too far away, way too expensive, or crap. We are going to keep looking here, b/c hubby does have a great job and we love the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues