Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Florida: nationwide movers, insurance, records management, job market.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:42 AM

101 posts, read 381,358 times

Advertisements

My family is moving in May from FL to NC. Which consists of me, my husband my 18 month old son, my mother in law, a dog and a cat. Oh boy this is going to be fun!

Anyway is there anything I should be doing now?? When do you start packing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkearns View Post
My family is moving in May from FL to NC. Which consists of me, my husband my 18 month old son, my mother in law, a dog and a cat. Oh boy this is going to be fun!

Anyway is there anything I should be doing now?? When do you start packing?

Thanks!
I've copied this from one of my previous posts about moving. I hope it helps.

I've made 2 out of state moves in 2 years and it can be tough. I moved a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house, 3 cars and 2 motorcycles. I also had a dog and cat. Planning and organization are key. The more you plan up front, the less chance that you'll get hit with a big surprise when you are right in the middle of moving. Here's some main pointers.......

1. Get estimates to have a professional mover, pack, move and unload your household. I did the first move entirely myself and the 2nd time hired a pro. Although it can cost more to use a pro, the time they saved me and the lack of headaches to contend with were totally worth it. I'll never move myself again! Look for a reputable mover and make sure to have your stuff insured.

2. Get a notebook and make several lists and keep them organized for future reference. This helps to keep track of what you've done and still need to do. Make it a point to check off things on your lists as you complete them so you can keep track of what was done, when it was done, who you spoke with, etc...
The first list should be all of the utilities you currently have and the utilities you will need to get at your new home. Call all the current ones to schedule a final reading well in advance of your move to have the reading done on the day after you move out. Don't want to cut off anything on the day you move cause you may want to get a drink of cold water, make a call, use the bathroom, take a shower, etc....Schedule the utilities to be turned on in your new place well in advance so they can schedule it when you need it done.
The second list should be all of your accounts like your bank, credit cards, magazine subscriptions, book of the month club, investments, retirement accounts, etc....ANYTHING that you get mail for. A couple days before your move, contact all of them with your new address. Don't do it too soon or your mail will arrive before you do. You don't want your credit card bill or bank statement sitting in a mailbox any longer than it has to.
The third list will be for friends, family, colleages, etc....who you want to let know you are moving.
The fourth list will be for what you need to do with your current residence. This will include contacting your landlord or realtor, inspections that need to be done, items that need to be repaired or cleaned prior to moving out, etc...If you are selling your home, this is a good list to use to keep track of what you've done, need to do and who you've spoken to and when. It's easy to lose track when the sale of a home gets lengthy and involved.
The Fifth list is for your new residence. Again, the list will depend on whether you are buying a house or renting. This is where you list contact numbers for your realtor or new landlord. What items do you need to take care of for your new home? etc.....
The Sixth list will be the items that you will pack in your "Survival boxes" and carry with you in the car. (See below)

3. Get a change of address form from the post office or better yet, do it online. If you forget to notify someone about your move, the mail will still be forwarded to you for a year.

4. Notify your doctor, dentist and veterinarian that you are moving so they can forward any outstanding bills. Get a copy of your medical records. Get refills for prescriptions to last a few months because you'll be too busy to find a new doctor right away after you move.

5. Go ahead and get teeth cleanings, check ups , mammograms, up-date shots, etc....for you, your family and pets out of the way too, if you have time.

6. Put together "Survival boxes" for each family member. These are things you will need to keep close at hand and pack in your car. I DO NOT recommend letting certain items out of your sight. Others you may need should the mover be delayed arriving with your stuff. You'll probably need most of this stuff right away and will be too tired to look for it.
These boxes should include....

ALL PERSONAL, FINANCIAL AND MEDICAL RECORDS

A phone, clean sheets, pillow, blanket, toilet paper, paper towels, soap, toothpaste and other personal hygeine items, the remote to your TV, your address book, computer and accessories, cell phone and charger, medications, cameras, food for your pets and their bowls, litter and litter box, Pet's medications, etc.....

7. Get a new ID for your pets with your cell phone number in case they escape the car during the trip. I'd also strongly suggest getting them a sedative from your vet to help them relax. Remember, you are moving your pets out of their home too and they will be confused and possibly afraid of all the activity going on around them. There is nothing quite like traveling in a car with a scared pet, listening to the never-ending meowing and barking for HOURS on end.

8. Make sure you and your family members have something to keep them entertained in the car and hotel. Bring magazines, books, a cell phone and fully charged I-Pod to keep the kids happy.

9. Carefully label all moving boxes so you know what room they belong in.

10. De-clutter the stuff around your home that you really don't need. You'll never get a better time to clean out those drawers, closets, filing cabinets, garage, etc... After you've lifted the umteenth box of junk into the moving van you WILL start to wonder why you need it.

11. Research the area you are moving too as much as possible so you are somewhat informed before you get there. If it is a major metropolitan area, there is probably a book in the bookstore you can buy. I always get "The Insiders Guide to........" They have a whole series and have loads of info.

12. Get the name of the school your child will be attending and have records transferred.

This covers the basics. Good planning and being very organized should make the process easier. You may not know anyone and you'll have to learn your way around a new city. Look at it as an adventure.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:16 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,500 times
Default Organize

I think gizmobizmo was pretty complete.
I would start going through and purging unnecessary items now. If you have some big items that you want to keep for now and get rid of closer to moving, at least identify them for now. That way when the movers come in for an estimate you can possibly reduce it if there are a lot of things you know you won't be taking with you.
Organize the rest so that packing will be easier. You'll probably want to declutter and organize again shortly before packing, but at least it should be easier then.
Make any health or dental appointments now. Some of these have long waiting lists and you'll want to get them done before the move.
Take a trip to the new area and identify neighborhoods you like/don't like. It'll make it much easier when you make appointments for house searching later. Gather information on the area.
What a luxury to have so much time to plan your move!

And I almost forgot, get a list of things that the movers WON'T move. Things like plants, cleaning chemicals, paint, etc. Since these are things you'll have to either dump or take in your car, you'll want to reduce your supply of them.

Last edited by geekduo; 10-14-2008 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: added

Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 PM

973 posts, read 3,305,191 times
I forgot to mention a couple things earlier. (As if it wasn't enough)

I can't even begin to tell you how important it is to do your research of the area you are moving to. Check things like.... Crime data, school systems, neighborhoods, commute times (if you already have a job), etc...
If you know what area you are moving to, use the "Search" option above to look up information. There may already be information in previous threads to help you make a more informed decision. If not, post another question and we'll help!

1. If you can visit the area before the big move, please do so.

2. I suggest renting until you get to know the area better and can make a more informed decision about where your permanent home will be. If you buy before you know what you are getting into, you may find down the road that it wasn't the best choice. Getting out of that one will be costly.

3. If you or a family member hasn't gotten a job yet, go ahead and start doing some research about jobs in that area. Each region is known for specific types of jobs (Like Banking, Warehouses, Shipping, etc...) This will help you get a feel for what is out there.

4. Go ahead and set up your Careerbuilder or Monster accounts. Those are good resources to help you familiarize yourself with the companies in the area.

5. Buy yourself a really good city map. Preferably one that is in color. As you search for apartments, homes or even jobs, you can look them up on the map and get an idea where things are.

6. Map out your trip to your new home well in advance. Take into account that you are traveling with pets and an 18 month old so you will need frequent breaks. If the drive will take more than 8 hours, consider breaking it down into a 2 day trip. Check the route you will need to follow and find a hotel that will allow pets. There are plenty. Look up..."Pet Friendly" hotels and then go from there. (Bring something familiar for Fluffy and Fido to sleep on because they may be scared or unsure of what is happening.)

7. Make your hotel reservation well in advance also. You never know if there is a convention in town and all the rooms will be booked.

8. If you decide to use a mover, make it a point to follow up with them regarding what date they will be there to pack, how many people will they need to do it, how long it will take to load the truck and unload it. Cover this when you set up your move dates initially then follow-up a week before just in case. (Glad I did because the mover underestimated how many guys he need to pack my house up. We would have been delayed a day)

Okay, I'm done now. I think.........

Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Adding this about pets.

Get a hard crate for the cat. It needs to be big enough for the cat to move around and strech out. Put it on the floor and put their toys in it. Leave it open. Put treats in it and let the cat adopt it as a hideaway. Do NOT shut it as discipline or punishment. Thus when it comes time to go your taking a comfortable hideaway with you.

NEVER let the cat out of the carrier until you get inside the motel room. The can panic and run, or get loose in the car. And we all know what scared kitties do.

Take the cat on short rides in the crate about a month before the trip. It won't be a totally foreign experience.

ditto for the dog if the dog isn't used to cars.

they have seatbelt harnesses for dogs which are good if you don't have space for a crate. My dog did fine with her blanket and snoozing with the harness. But crates are a the reccomended way.

When you go into the motel, check for hidden recesses before you let out the cat. Make sure they have a bell or trail something off their collar so You can find them the morning they hide from the maid and your trying to leave.

And YES, get tranks. Especially for cats. They snooze it off and are relaxed at the end of the day. Don't take silence for the cat is okay without. My cat did not make a sound the first day because she was too scared to. Second day with the pill and it was much better.

Make sure you get enough to deal with new situations at the new place too. Some animals take time to adjust and might need help calming down.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:41 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
One more thing I'd add, particularly if anyone in the family has a unusual or esoteric medical issue, is to ask your current physicians/dentists for referrals in your new hometown. If you're moving to a community that has a good teaching hospital, it'll be easier to find some of the less common specialties, but even finding a GP who's accepting new patients can be a challenge at times. You might also ask your vet for referrals to a practitioner in the new community.

Good luck to all of you; a cross-country move is a real challenge, no getting around that, but planning ahead can make a huge difference in the process.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:43 PM

101 posts, read 381,358 times
Thanks for all the helpful tips! Yea this is going to be quite the move. It will be interesting and im trying to just smile and laugh and not to stress out about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues