Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 AM

730 posts, read 769,852 times

Advertisements

Husband and I have decided to move to a new state with our kids. Better opportunities for all of us if we do. I'm starting to research this forum. There's a lot that goes into a move to a different state with a family and I was wondering if anyone has a checklist. Our timeframe is 1 to 1 1/2 years before we move. I have a lot of purging to do so I figure I'll go room by room, purge, organize and once the house is done start the packing process. Any suggestions on what helped you with a cross state move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:00 PM

351 posts, read 492,523 times
I've been planning a move since 2013. For a variety of reasons, it hasn't happened. Yet. I started by packing the items that I don't use on an every day basis - extra sets of dishes, vases, crystal bowls, spare utensils, things made by my kids, etc. As I packed, I also purged. It cleaned out my cupboards, got me started, and I came to realize I really don't need any of what I packed since I haven't missed it in 2 years.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:57 PM

922 posts, read 1,112,392 times
First things first- start doing extensive research about whatever city you're going to. Look into schools, crime stats, neighborhood stats, JOBS, amenities, etc. The packing process is last of your worries right now and your focus should be on finding out if the city/town you're moving to is going to benefit your whole family. What I would do is look on Greatschools.org and look up the elementary schools (my kids are younger) in the areas we were interested in- if a school didn't score an 8 out of 10 or higher, I discounted it. I would then take the higher-scoring schools and plug them into Redfin and all the homes in our price range that were attached to the schools would pop up.

Once you're done figuring out where you are going to go and have jobs lined up, then you contact a realtor (I found a FABULOUS one via a recommendation from someone here on CD) and get the house hunt going. It's taken my family and I literally 2 years to make the move we're making but it's been worth it; we're much better equipped now to go than we were 2 years ago.

GL!

Old 07-24-2015, 06:30 AM

Thanks. I already know where we are going based on medical and educational needs. Looking into neighborhoods.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:06 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
I've been planning a move since 2013. For a variety of reasons, it hasn't happened. Yet. I started by packing the items that I don't use on an every day basis - extra sets of dishes, vases, crystal bowls, spare utensils, things made by my kids, etc. As I packed, I also purged. It cleaned out my cupboards, got me started, and I came to realize I really don't need any of what I packed since I haven't missed it in 2 years.
You're singing my song....

I just moved from Denver to Houston last month and I thought I had done a good job purging, and in many ways, I had.

Now, as I sit unpacking things that were literally still in boxes that had never even been unpacked when we moved TO Denver, I think if I ever move again, I just need to bite the bullet and get rid of half our stuff. We will never miss it.

So, that would be my advice. When you are looking around at things to get rid of, multiply it by 2 at least.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:31 PM

Thanks Texas Ag. This is the exact advice I'm looking for.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:50 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,190,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodlemomNM View Post
Thanks Texas Ag. This is the exact advice I'm looking for.
Donate it or throw it all away when people aren't looking. If someone asks "Where is my (insert name of thing here)", say "Oh, that thing you haven't used or played with in 2 years? Ummm, I haven't seen it, sorry."

Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,080 times
AS you go for your medical and dental checkups during the next few years get copies of, or find out the process (full address, file numbers, whatever) to get copies of, medical records you may want to transfer to your new doctors and dentists--baseline mammograms, teeth x-rays, etc., plus kids immunization records which you will need for school registration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues