Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,762 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 year old marketing assistant who graduated with *** laude honors in Communications and I am currently working on getting a masters in Marketing Communications (which includes classes in PR, Advertising, and media). I would love to work in the PR, Journalism, and/or Media field and I love socializing and traveling and while I'm an independent I have liberal views in terms of social issues.

I spent most of my life living in the conservative South, but I lived in Sunderland, England for 6 months and fell in love with the city. I loved going to clubs that played more than just pop/rap music, I loved talking to people that discussed more important issues than reality television or NASCAR, and I loved the idea that I could hang out with friends who did not ditch me the seconed that a guy entered their life (which has been quite common in my area of the South) and where people did not say "You're 23! You need to get married and have kids before you become an old maid!" Now, not all Southerners are like that, but where I currently live at the people are friendly but very conservative and there is very little opportunity in terms of employment, socializing, or dating.

I love America, but some of the places where I had the most fun were in Toronto, Montreal, and Sunderland. They were very social, the people were not as worried about crime, they talked about politics and traveling, and they were less judgemental. I tried moving to Washington DC, but plans fell through when I became uncertain about whether or not my roommates would be able to actually pay their portion of the rent (and it turns one of them may not have paid). I lived in Seattle for a few months, but the people I met--not everyone just some--seemed to be sort of anti-social or did not want to talk to a friendly southerner with liberal ideas. Plus, the job market in my fields were pretty slow.

I'm looking for an American city that is pretty similar to Toronto, Sunderland, or even Vancouver. A city with a great social scene full of intelligent people that are also friendly and willing to meet new people; good job opportunities for someone whose young and wants to work in PR, Journalism, Media, or even Marketing work; has some good transportation and even an airport since I like to travel; and a city where you can walk the streets and not feel as though you'll be shot at every corner. I know no city is perfect and I have also heard that most shootings are targeted and not random, so I'm not looking for a Garden of Eden, but since I am single and female I would like a city where I can walk around at night in safer areas every once in a while without people having a heart attack.

I am currently working to save at least $10,000 in start-up cash and I plan on moving by myself since I'm sort of a rarity within my area of the South. I also plan on building a list of cities and then narrowing it down to a few where I can then travel to these cities and see which one I prefer instead of moving right into the city and then realizing that it has poor employment opportunities or that people are anti-social. I also plan on trying to get a job within the area before moving there b/c of the currently poor job market. I'm just trying to get some ideas ahead of time.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really determined to find a great place to live within the U.S. I found some wonderful places outside of the U.S., but if I can find those features within the U.S. that would be great as well. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
I think I might feel very stifled in the South and I am sorry that you got stuck living there.

Today's economy is rough and I would start with perhaps unemployment in various states,
then I would try to see if there are job offerings in my chosen profession/s in those states,
this would give me(hopefully) a list of cities.
I would then research the cities (I think most cities are more liberal and mentally challanging than burbs anywhere in the US) for living qualities I am looking for, crime rates, things to do, number of younger/single people, etc.
The cities that come to the top would be my first choice.

Here is a list of unemployment by state:
Unemployment rates - Unemployment rates by state from CNNMoney

I might favor the coasts or large cosmopolitan areas.

Here is a list of cities for singles:
Singles, meet your match - Hoboken, NJ (1) - Money Magazine

Newark, I would stay away from, the first murder of the New Year occurred there, and although their new mayor, Cory Booker, is a superhero in my opinion for destroying the old corrupt political network and getting rid of many corrupt police, and the crime rate is way down, but still there.

You might, if you find a nice place(for singles), have to look for a large city nearby for employment.
For instance, Hoboken is just a skip into New York City.

CNN has other comparisons that may be of interest:
Best Places to Live 2008 - from Money Magazine

Old 01-04-2009, 12:43 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
I live in the south, but I can totally understand why a younger progressive thinking person may not find it to be their cup of tea. There are probably pockets of places you would thrive in, but I really agree that the best thing is to save your money and make plans to go wherever you can find a comparable job and the social peers your need. Lucky for you, you do have an education that will open a lot of doors for you. If I were in your position, I would be more than excited about all the great opportunities in your future.

Don't limit yourself....you only live once. Remember the old adage, It is better to shoot for the moon and miss than shoot for your backyard and hit.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I think I might feel very stifled in the South and I am sorry that you got stuck living there.

Today's economy is rough and I would start with perhaps unemployment in various states,
then I would try to see if there are job offerings in my chosen profession/s in those states,
this would give me(hopefully) a list of cities.
I would then research the cities (I think most cities are more liberal and mentally challanging than burbs anywhere in the US) for living qualities I am looking for, crime rates, things to do, number of younger/single people, etc.
The cities that come to the top would be my first choice.

Here is a list of unemployment by state:
Unemployment rates - Unemployment rates by state from CNNMoney

I might favor the coasts or large cosmopolitan areas.

Here is a list of cities for singles:
Singles, meet your match - Hoboken, NJ (1) - Money Magazine

Newark, I would stay away from, the first murder of the New Year occurred there, and although their new mayor, Cory Booker, is a superhero in my opinion for destroying the old corrupt political network and getting rid of many corrupt police, and the crime rate is way down, but still there.

You might, if you find a nice place(for singles), have to look for a large city nearby for employment.
For instance, Hoboken is just a skip into New York City.

CNN has other comparisons that may be of interest:
Best Places to Live 2008 - from Money Magazine
Thanks for the list and sites . I will definitely examine this information for ideas. The spiraling job market has put a HUGE damper on moving plans. It used to be before I graduated from college that people were preaching about how a degree will help you get a job anywhere and how cities were teaming with jobs. Now, it's like you have to be very careful and scrutinize everyting because even if you find the perfect city there's a good chance that you might not be able to find a job due to the demand. Like when I moved to Seattle in the summer. I had to leave after a couple of months in part because the job market there tanked. A lot of people were fired from Microsoft with their jobs shipped to India and there was even a hiring freeze on state jobs when a relative of mine had to wait for a few months to even be officially hired. They wanted her, but couldn't hire her b/c it was a government job and they weren't hiring anyone supposedly, though she started working last month.

It's sort of weird, and I hope the economy picks up again b/c I do love to have choices. It really is stifling in the South. I mean, it's a nice place, but being a liberal 23 year old who doesn't want to get married right away, wants to get her Masters and travel to far away places, and who loves to socialize with people about topics that most Southerners would cringe at...I need a change of scenery. I would like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, or Sunderland; but it's not exactly easy to get a job in Canada or England when you're not a native. It's easier than if I were from Asia or Africa, but my friends from those areas have told me I would have a very difficult time unless I had a sponsor or was married to a national. Plus, I would like to stay in the U.S., but I want a city that's similar in terms of atmosphere and behavior.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:29 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
I have not traveled much, but have retired and am awaiting my husband to do likewise. Then we plan to hit the road.
We married much later in life and yes, I did get an MBA.
I always think that some women have that biological clock thing worse than others and maybe there is a reason for that. Perhaps nature intends for them to have kids and others, maybe not.

If you have to stay where you are, due to the economy, be careful not to irritate those you work with with your progressive ideas. You need to build up good pr for your resume. I know that sounds disingenuous, but you'll be happy later.

There is a non-religious group that has many concepts that are similar to Eastern religion - the Theosophical Society. I mention this because their web site lists their main orgs around the country, but there are smaller groups that are not listed because they meet at people's homes. I joined once and attended a few meetings/lectures and some woman said she was starting a group at her house. We met once a week and I am still friends with these people, years later, after we all moved to different locations.

Then there is the Ethical Culture Society, who have lecturer on all sorts of interesting topics.

One of those two groups has, as a motto, 'There is no Religion Higher than the Truth'.

There are also conversational groups that meet around the country - people getting together to discuss various topics. Many, not all, are listed here:
Find a Cafe (http://www.conversationcafe.org/Find%20a%20Cafe.htm - broken link)

Lastly, there are the Meetup groups, some look really interesting buy hardly ever meet, but if you search for your area you can see the various topics that they center around:
About Meetup - Meetup.com

Wherever you try for a job, please remember to check that the salary offered (if you are one of the lucky ones who get an offer) will support your rent, etc, in the area.

I'm thinking that if you have to stay where you are, perhaps you can find a group of sympathetic souls.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have not traveled much, but have retired and am awaiting my husband to do likewise. Then we plan to hit the road.
We married much later in life and yes, I did get an MBA.
I always think that some women have that biological clock thing worse than others and maybe there is a reason for that. Perhaps nature intends for them to have kids and others, maybe not.

If you have to stay where you are, due to the economy, be careful not to irritate those you work with with your progressive ideas. You need to build up good pr for your resume. I know that sounds disingenuous, but you'll be happy later.

There is a non-religious group that has many concepts that are similar to Eastern religion - the Theosophical Society. I mention this because their web site lists their main orgs around the country, but there are smaller groups that are not listed because they meet at people's homes. I joined once and attended a few meetings/lectures and some woman said she was starting a group at her house. We met once a week and I am still friends with these people, years later, after we all moved to different locations.

Then there is the Ethical Culture Society, who have lecturer on all sorts of interesting topics.

One of those two groups has, as a motto, 'There is no Religion Higher than the Truth'.

There are also conversational groups that meet around the country - people getting together to discuss various topics. Many, not all, are listed here:
Find a Cafe (http://www.conversationcafe.org/Find%20a%20Cafe.htm - broken link)

Lastly, there are the Meetup groups, some look really interesting buy hardly ever meet, but if you search for your area you can see the various topics that they center around:
About Meetup - Meetup.com

Wherever you try for a job, please remember to check that the salary offered (if you are one of the lucky ones who get an offer) will support your rent, etc, in the area.

I'm thinking that if you have to stay where you are, perhaps you can find a group of sympathetic souls.
I know I'll probably stay at least until Summer or Fall of 2009 since I need to save money to move. I also agree about not making them mad b/c seriously the main reason why I got the job I have now was b/c my former boss--who had to let me go b/c you can only work there if you are a student and I had just graduated--gave me a wonderful reference that caused them to hire me right away. Right now my main boss loves my work ethic and is surprised at how quickly I get the job done instead of stalling and taking the entire day.

I hope you two start traveling soon. I've been through half of the country and a few states on the other half of the Mississippi R and it's pretty interesting to see how diverse our country is in comparison.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 PM

700 posts, read 2,596,553 times
In or around NYC
In or around San Fran
In or around Chicago
In or around Boston

I think thats about it....IMO.
Im a Seattle lover, but to each their own....

You will need more cash to move, but it sounds as if that is already your plan.

Job Market.....check
Smart People....check
Entertainment Options.....check
Weather like Canada or England.....check
Airports for travel.....check
Safe....well, your definition and mine may differ, but I find that you can be safe in most big cities in the world if you have some street smarts and dont put yourself in silly situations. To be really safe you may have to live in small town middle America, but then you would give up other criteria...
Its a give and take.... I think those 4 cities would be a great jumping off point to begin some research...

Good Luck

Old 01-05-2009, 09:31 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
You just need to sit down and think of where you've been and where you want to go next. You are the only one who can decide where you're going to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattwoman2 View Post
I loved the idea that I could hang out with friends who did not ditch me the seconed that a guy entered their life (which has been quite common in my area of the South) and where people did not say "You're 23! You need to get married and have kids before you become an old maid!" Now, not all Southerners are like that, but where I currently live at the people are friendly but very conservative and there is very little opportunity in terms of employment, socializing, or dating.
That one about you need to get married reminded me of an old email. Single man would go to a friend or relative's wedding and have an old aunt pinch his cheek and say "You're next!" At the next funeral of a relative, he walked up to the same old aunt, pinched her cheek and told her the same thing! Try that when they talk about you being single! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues