Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 09:49 AM

52 posts, read 155,253 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of retiring to Oregon from Va.

Will most likely use Penski truck for the move
I have a Yukon XL and a bassboat --any ideas other than having someone drive the truck for me.

Then again maybe less stressful to have ABF move the household stuff

thanks for ideas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 01:27 PM

275 posts, read 1,760,878 times
You got it!

Have your household stuff moved via ABF or a moving company and tow the boat yourself.

Last month I fiinished my move by towing my boat from Northern Calif. to South Carolina (5 days of no nonsense driving). We had a moving company transport our household stuff and paid $1,400 to have my wife's van shipped by an auto transport company.

What type of bassboat? Mine is a Triton. By the way, the hardest part of my whole drive was not stopping to fish some of the nice lakes I drove by!!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Sorry, one more comment.

Have you researched the bass fishing in Oregon? Before we decided on South Carolina, we were considering moving to Oregon. If we had moved there, I would have sold my bassboat first and bought an aluminum jet boat for Oregon. There's too much great river fishing in Oregon to pass up and I would have limited myself too much with the bassboat.

By the way, Oregon's Umpqua River has great smallmouth bass fishing!!

Old 10-01-2008, 03:59 PM

52 posts, read 155,253 times
MJames- I have a Ranger 361
I just love the ole girl(1990 with a merc 150) and don`t think I`ll sell her anytime soon..

Also thought about Idaho,still in the thought process,I`m retired so I have time to do more research.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:26 AM

Hey, whatever floats your boat! (pun intended!)

I know what you mean by loving your boat. Before I bought my Triton I had a 1990 Champ 184 that I bought new and owned for 15 years. I'd still have it except it developed transom problems and I decided I wanted something bigger for the family. It was a sad day went it left my driveway behind somebody else's truck!

Good luck wherever you decide to move!

Old 10-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjames View Post
By the way, Oregon's Umpqua River has great smallmouth bass fishing!!
Ahh I like this thread...Hey I fished the Umpqua a few years back, those smallies had never seen a TD Minnow and just tore it up, the guide he'd never seen one either, so I told him to stop by Phil's next time he went to CAli...
There are a few a bass lakes in Oregon, My Dad Retired there in the late 80's so I've visted quite a bit. There is a club in Eugene. But for the most part those folks love thier river fishing....
When I started looking for places (Still Looking have 7 years to go ) I pulled out a USA map and looked for alot of lakes, I'm kinda liking the area where Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma come together.. Some good lakes in that area.. Of course right now I'm near the Delta, Berryessa and Clear Lake and it don't get any better than that... except Wifie has horses and I sure can't afford acreage around here......

Old 10-04-2008, 04:22 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
I am making the move back to Oregon in a few weeks. So much planning and organizing to do! I will be going with ABF, got two pods for $1300, and will have my very old Buick shipped there as well by transport company, estimate of $1100. So is reasonable expense and much less hassle. Leaves me to fly (with cat in the cargo!) at agency expense.

Have also rented a truck and towed a car behind several times. Is slow and time consuming, especially tricky on I 40 through the mountains. Do not do this in winter weather! So have discovered pods, they can also be stored, then delivered when you have found your new place. You would need to hire loaders on either end of the trip, unless you have friends/family who can help. I was told the cost is less (by about $300) if loaders take your stuff to the ABF terminal and load the pods there.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,959 times
Ihae been transfered to VA from seattle areacan someone tell me what is the good and trusted moving co. for tranpsortation of carthanksseemak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues