Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 PM

32 posts, read 83,446 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving anytime between now and January. I'm reluctant to do so during the summer or holidays.

We all know that there's an apartment sweep in July, August, and September when the college kids come rolling in.

And then you have the holidays. When I do go, it'd be at some point in the last week of the month. People are pretty busy during that time, and while I'm sure that finding a place then would be easier than say September, you still have the issue of a lot of employers only hiring for seasonal work. And meeting people during that time is sometimes rough as well.

It seems like October or January (the absolute latest I'd move) would hit the sweet spot for me.

Anyone have prior experience? Just looking for the best moving experience possible. Typed this up sort of quick, so hope my words are coming out right and you can understand what I'm trying to get across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 03:23 PM

177 posts, read 757,751 times
Personally, Fierro, I don't think it makes much of a difference. I've moved about six times during various times of the year.

The college rush cancels out, because other college kids are graduating and moving out of the area, back in with their parents (especially if they have less-than-useful majors!), or into new living arrangements (getting married, etc). So I've never found it to be the case where college students eat up all the available rentals.

Many employers won't hire in the first quarter of the year (January, February especially), so I wouldn't advise moving during that time. Seems to me that many start looking to fill jobs right before the summer...

So if you choose to move in October/January, you may have a bit of difficulty as far as jobs are concerned. I'd pick April or May personally -- you beat the college rush, and nab those jobs as soon as they're posted. (In theory anyway!)

Old 04-03-2009, 08:18 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Anything other than a holiday weekend is fine. I, too, have moved at different times of the year and as long as you have booked a mover, you feel prepared (something always comes up) you are ready to roll.

If it were me and I had that large a window, I would research best/worst times of the year to move. I'm sure that there are plenty of articles.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:25 PM

I guess it doesn't matter. Just trying to prepare myself for the best possible relocation that I can.

As for me, I don't have a mover. My situation is somewhat different. I'm 19 and don't have much of anything. I could transfer with my current job, but I'm not into my career or anything like that.

Thanks for the input. Appreciate it.

P.S. - ablau: fortunately, Los Angeles is where I'm headed.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:04 PM

146 posts, read 437,765 times
so Fierro are you moving to L.A. by yourself or are you considering a roommate situation? I first moved out when I was 19 also

Old 04-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Probably get a roommate, but we'll see how it goes.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:07 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
I don't know that it matters so much WHEN you move. Moving always has it's own share of hassles and hardships.....plus excitement......regardless of the time of year. The best thing is to hit it dead on and just do what you have to do in order to get to the other side. It will seem like a big hardship until the first night when all is settled and you just feel good about your accomplishment.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Maybe I was just overthinking it a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues