Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 PM

754 posts, read 2,088,980 times

Advertisements

If this is the right forum for this topic, super. Didn't know if I should post it in the "work/employment" forum or not.
I'll cut right to the chase here: Where I live high unemployment is making me feel more hopeless by the day. I have heard about the Western plains and "oil boom" states doing better than the rest of the general US population. I have got three relatives who live in that area. They are all doing great in their careers or so it seems. I try to keep in touch with them on a regular basis, and they all know the bind I'm in. One relative is a cousin who lives just outside of Houston, TX and he found a good position relatively quickly, and it seems that all I ever do is struggle.
But I just don't know if it's a good gambit to relocate somewhere when you don't already have a job lined up, even in a "good" area. I don't know if people who are looking for work these days expand their parameters geographically. (In this day and age of so much economic uncertainty, I don't see why one would limit themselves to the nearest city and that's it. Just my two cents.) My husband says he is willing to move and make the major sacrifices, but he assumes "if" I already have a bonafide offer, as in, will be actually starting a new job very soon. Not just "an interview" or a "maybe".
I wonder if my relatives would be willing to help me out with all this. At least they are people I know and are overall good human beings. They are also not married and don't have kids (yes, very independent types.)
I really don't know where to go from here. I feel like I am at the crossroads. My husband probably does not want to give up his job (not that I would expect him to) But I figure anything you do is better than waiting for our President to come along and "fix things", no?
I also know that there is a lot on the line when it comes to relocating. Money,etc....But I'm willing to do just about ANYTHING that would get me gainfully employed. I'm not getting any younger over here. I don't want to wait until I am well over 40 and even more out of the loop than now. I don't, and have never really liked, the Southeast that much, not just from an economic point of view, but cultural too. I am willing to work hard and have a flexible attitude. Not everybody enjoys working in retail, but I'd be happy to settle for it. I am not in a position to be picky or complain about bad weather conditions.
Anybody else in this situation? Or has been in this situation? What do or did you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,010,921 times
Im sure u could find a job in retail in the texas/southwst area. Why dont u and your spouse visit the areas u want to movme to and see if u like it ?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:07 PM

Well probably no point in waiting for a invitation from my cousin anyways....I may just have to take the bull by the horns and go for it. Texas culture (at least on TV, it's portrayed that way) sounds "rednecky" and backwards to me, but it is a big state, and an oil boom state, and no point in me knocking it before I've tried it! I have always wondered if TX is actually a "Southern" state per se....it's too far away from the Southeast, but it's not actually in the "west" is it??

I will not be going to Nevada any time soon, however...they make the top 50 in terms of highest unemployment in the whole country!

Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,925,785 times
smoky,
I know exactly how you feel. Believe me. I am 53 and have been out of work for
5 years. We moved and I was never able to find a job. We did move in 2008, the worst time
to look for work, but still, I am going crazy not working.
I have worked literally my whole life.
My hubby was hired about 8 months after we moved to SC.
He has another job now, but must drive 1 hour and 20 mintues to work
every day.
We are actually thinking about moving sometime in the near future ourselves.
We will see.
It's not easy not working.
Noone will hire me.
I was thinking of starting my own business on the side to keep me busy,
I don't know.
Tomorrow is another day....

Old 06-21-2014, 10:30 PM

Better days ahead..I hope...for me and you too butterfly4U....*Hugs*

Old 06-23-2014, 10:03 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,277,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
Well probably no point in waiting for a invitation from my cousin anyways....I may just have to take the bull by the horns and go for it. Texas culture (at least on TV, it's portrayed that way) sounds "rednecky" and backwards to me, but it is a big state, and an oil boom state, and no point in me knocking it before I've tried it! I have always wondered if TX is actually a "Southern" state per se....it's too far away from the Southeast, but it's not actually in the "west" is it??

I will not be going to Nevada any time soon, however...they make the top 50 in terms of highest unemployment in the whole country!
We just relocated to the North Dallas area and by no means is our area rednecky or backwards. The area is diverse, there are many transplants like ourselves and the cost of living is decent. In fact, I haven't really seen the rural parts of Texas which makes me a bit sad. We do need to get out and explore this huge state a bit more to really see Texas.

If you are in retail, I would see no problems getting a job here. Folks are moving here in droves and it seems to be a great place to be. I will honest though. It took my spouse awhile to find a suitable IT job here. There were plenty of low paying positions or Indian sweatshop consulting jobs. Took him about six months to land himself a really good job. He did relocate here to Texas but had a consulting job in hand...something that lasted a year.

Good luck if you do make your move. We really like Texas and see it as a place with many opportunities, especially for our kids when they get to working age.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:24 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,641,681 times
Plain ol' faith. Speaking negative things into existence and thinking negative will only result in such. Positivist breeds positive results. So act as if you already have a job in the new state, apply for jobs, and it's guaranteed you will get one.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 PM

Siggy20....I've only been to the Dallas FTW airport during a layover on the way to Hawaii. That was like the mid-80s and I was probably about 8-9 years old, so not much I remember. TV shows like King of the Hill and Walker, Texas ranger probably aren't all an accurate representation....I agree. My cousin who is close to Houston seems happy settled there and he is an assistant district attorney. He's also a single young male renting an apartment and I guess he's in a better position to pull up stakes if need be. He's not a married lady with a mortgage (I am renting from my landlord parents, who could always rent or sell the house if we were gone) But I may pick my cousin's brain a little more the next time I talk to him on the phone or email him He is well -traveled and has relocated for job offers before. He also lived in North Dakota and I forget doing what. It was really cold in winter so I guess he likes the weather in Houston much better!

The American Southwest...breathtaking scenery, been to Sedona, Arizona and the sunsets against the red rock formations are to die for! Very hot and dry, of course, but great scenery and I enjoyed the culture more. Economically, I do not know how well they rank these days...but I had a great trip there, and I couldn't get enough of the handcrafted jewelry shops

I do wonder why Nevada made the very bottom 50 in terms of high unemployment? I'm guessing that not everybody gambles there or goes to brothels, but still surprised, it's is the only state in which the "world's oldest profession" is legal.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:06 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,066,922 times
Have you investigated doing work online? I have a friend who is a fast typist and does medical transcription over the internet. She gets recordings of doctors' dictations through email, transcribes them and emails them back. This is only one type of online work. Do a search and you will see.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 PM

986 posts, read 2,512,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
If this is the right forum for this topic, super. Didn't know if I should post it in the "work/employment" forum or not.
I'll cut right to the chase here: Where I live high unemployment is making me feel more hopeless by the day. I have heard about the Western plains and "oil boom" states doing better than the rest of the general US population. I have got three relatives who live in that area. They are all doing great in their careers or so it seems. I try to keep in touch with them on a regular basis, and they all know the bind I'm in. One relative is a cousin who lives just outside of Houston, TX and he found a good position relatively quickly, and it seems that all I ever do is struggle.
But I just don't know if it's a good gambit to relocate somewhere when you don't already have a job lined up, even in a "good" area. I don't know if people who are looking for work these days expand their parameters geographically. (In this day and age of so much economic uncertainty, I don't see why one would limit themselves to the nearest city and that's it. Just my two cents.) My husband says he is willing to move and make the major sacrifices, but he assumes "if" I already have a bonafide offer, as in, will be actually starting a new job very soon. Not just "an interview" or a "maybe".
I wonder if my relatives would be willing to help me out with all this. At least they are people I know and are overall good human beings. They are also not married and don't have kids (yes, very independent types.)
I really don't know where to go from here. I feel like I am at the crossroads. My husband probably does not want to give up his job (not that I would expect him to) But I figure anything you do is better than waiting for our President to come along and "fix things", no?
I also know that there is a lot on the line when it comes to relocating. Money,etc....But I'm willing to do just about ANYTHING that would get me gainfully employed. I'm not getting any younger over here. I don't want to wait until I am well over 40 and even more out of the loop than now. I don't, and have never really liked, the Southeast that much, not just from an economic point of view, but cultural too. I am willing to work hard and have a flexible attitude. Not everybody enjoys working in retail, but I'd be happy to settle for it. I am not in a position to be picky or complain about bad weather conditions.
Anybody else in this situation? Or has been in this situation? What do or did you do?
Practical aspects of needing to physically see employers (and vice versa) puts people in a bind when job-hunting from afar. Unless you have some rare skill you'll have to make a personal impression to compete with other applicants.

Also, beware that the U.S. oil BOOM is exactly that. Many a U.S. ghost town is evidence of booms. I wouldn't plan long-term relocation to an area based on shale oil, which is never going to override the fundamentals of the 1970 U.S. oil production peak. This is oil that's being drilled as a last stand, since the easy oil is long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues