Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:57 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times

Advertisements

A couple things to keep in mind ( and I agree to pick up AAA membership before the trip ).
You're not only driving a 30'+ truck ( remember cab length plus box ) but pulling another 16-20' behind you ( guessing on car length ) . So you can't just pull into any gas station or fast food joint. We learned that when we moved to SC from WI; search out the larger truck stop areas--plenty of room for fueling up, and most have a place to grab a bite to eat.
Not every hotel has a parking lot with easy truck/trailer access.
When we moved here, I drove a 26' Uhaul ( no issues for me as I used to run routes in a 26' straight truck ). My wife drove our suv and pulled our boat. So we had a few issues pop up overall, but made it in one piece. A good idea if you never pulled a trailer before--practice with it first. Going forward is easy ( remember wide turns ), but backing up will take some time to master.
I would suggest though to compare the cost of that car hauler on a one way trip, to having your car moved in transit for you. For us, there ended up being $120 or so diff between a car trailer and having my wife's car hauled down for us. So instead of me also pulling a trailer here, her car was sent down and was at our new place when we arrived. But considering the extra fuel you will burn pulling the trailer, plus the inconveniences you may encounter, you may want to check that option for your car.
Lastly, take your time, and good luck on the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:46 PM

119 posts, read 1,028,016 times
Yeah, I thought about shipping the car, but in a 22' diesel truck, that extra weight is not going to matter too much. In a gas truck, yes. but I have towed before, but never driven anything as large as this truck before. Luckily, the rental place is only 3 miles away, and I am 1 mile from 2 different freeways. I also don't plan to get off the freeway, except for fuel, and that will be at truck stops. Some truck stops, or travel centers, have their own on/off ramps, and are situated right along the freeway. Makes it a LOT easier to do so.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,518 times
Smile Good Luck!

We're moving cross country for the 3rd time...this time with 2 kids under 5 and a large dog. My advice: Definitely plan your stops ahead of time and call to reserve a hotel. Last time we drove halfway across Nebraska and all but 3 miles of Wyoming before we were fortunate enough to finally find a room. Won't be taking that chance again! You can use AAA's TripTik (sp?) for a free trial - very cool for planning milage per day and finding hotels! As for the actual driving, everyone else's advice sounds good... just take your time and get a feel for it. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 PM

3 posts, read 16,292 times
-Just took a Penske 22 foot diesel 5000 miles in a week - got 9 mpg unless I drove really conservatively (50 mph uphill) then got 12 mpg. I managed 700 to 800 miles a day, but had no distractions or passengers or trailer behind.
-A call to your insurance agent will confirm that your regular car insurance will cover you even in a 22 foot truck.
-It is surprisingly easy to drive - cruise control, automatic - once you get used to how long it is.
-If you have a passenger, it's a little too noisy to talk on the highway - more like shouting.
-Bring snacks that are easy to open and eat quickly, bring a collapsible cooler that you can put soda in and keep cold in a hotel refigerator at night, and bring audio books on tape to pass the hours.
-Before you get in on the rental lot, adjust the mirrors properly on both sides. Learn your stopping distance and drive accordingly, and tape a reminder on the windshield that the truck is 12 feet tall. Don't tailgate. Watch the road way up ahead - take advantage of your high vantage point. Plan well ahead to change lanes for exits.
-Write out your highway numbers on a scrap of paper the night before each day so you can glance to remind yourself as you drive.
-Have change available for toll roads, if any.
-I found it a really enjoyable trip, and you get a much better view than driving in a car. Have fun!

Have a look at [URL="http://www.wikihow.com/Drive-a-Rental-Truck-when-Moving-Cross-Country"]http://www.wikihow.com/Drive-a-Rental-Truck-when-Moving-Cross-Country[/URL] and edit it with all this great advice here. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Tome; 06-22-2009 at 11:41 PM..

Old 06-26-2009, 07:10 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,588 times
O.K. I am a very savy self mover. Pack all your most valuble items in the truck first(guns,jewlery,keepsakes, etc), if your truck is broke into they will be less likely to get to this stuff.
Check the fluids on the truck each morning before you take off for the day.
Make sure you are taking the truck and vehicle your pulling into places you can safely get back out of!!!! Don't just go down a road or alley,gas station fuel stop because you can drive down it. You will be amazed at how this forethought will save you.
Next, check the hold down chains/straps on the tow trailer and make sure your hitch is tightned on the truck ball as they can sometimes work loose. Do this every time you fuel up or first thing in the morning, check your truck lock now to. I had someone back the hitch all the way off at a motel in Texas once. If I hadn't have checked it I would have probably lost it off the ball. I did have the safety chains on but hey, it's easy to check this. It it a very good idea that traveling that far, to put some grease on the truck ball before you get under the tow trailer. It will help, believe me.
Get a good lock on the back door of the truck, not a cheapie.
Get a good map atlas of your route, go over it before you get to a city, be framiliar with it. Have it open or someone with you reading it along the way. Be ready for constructions detours and don't be afraid to pull off to the side of the road and go over the map. It is way easier than trying to back up with your towed vehicle.
If you have someone driving in another car with you, in big cities have them get behind you. They can make a space for you in traffic if you have to do a lane change and people won't let you get over. They can get over behind you faster and slow down and make a hole for you.
Don't ever get out of your truck without locking it. At motel stops clear off everything you have of value in the truck seat or cover it with a blanket or something same with the vehicle being towed. If they can't see something they want, they shouldn't break in and just look around.
At motel stops try to park under lights or where there will be pedestrian traffic. Lessens the chance of break ins.
Try not to have to open the truck loading door until you get where your going. Loads shift inside, and it's going to, and it may go up against the door and make a big mess or at least a hassle of having to repack the back of the truck in a parking lot somewhere.
I don't know what your exact route is, but check it out and see if you have to stop at Check Stations. You are supposed to do this by law in some states.
If your traveling with someone else take 1/2 of your credit cards and money and give it to them or hide it inside the truck or tow vehicle someplace. If you leave your wallet someplace or it gets stolen you will at least have cards and money to complete the trip. I also have at least a thousand dollars cash when I make a move. You just never know. And beleive it or not, there are still places here in America that won't take debit/credit cards for a purchase.
Always watch the truck gauges for irregularities. And contemplate your gas miliage. I can't remember the times I drove in somewhere on fumes because the last town I went through had all the gas stations closed down at sundown, ha,ah,ha.
If your traveling with pets and go out of your motel room place the do not disturb sign on the handle. I can't believe the times a housekeeper or mis-roomed guest went into my room and scared the hell out of my cat. He didn not need this. He is a good cat, minds better than alot of children I meet.
As always be aware of your surroundings and don't give out too much personal information to anyone i.e. cafes,motels,gas stations. There are people that prey on travelers.
Well that should give you some other things to look forward/worry about, ha,ha.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:00 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
I did three times. Its easy just bring a lock for your stuff and parl in a big lot.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:47 PM

179 posts, read 548,051 times
What is the best car transporting company?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 29,914 times
Default Moving from California to Florida in two weeks

We will be moving from California to Florida in two weeks. We have not yet decide to rent a 16' or a 22' truck from Penske yet and have lots of concerns about renting a 22' long diesel truck from Penske. We have about 3 rooms full of personal belongings, as well as a room full of home improvement business tools and equipments, as well as about a room full of outdoor plants and trees in pots that we would like to bring with us to Florida. We will also be renting a car carrier to haul our small Nissan sedan. Anyone with experiences in these kind of situation your advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! as it is now down to the wire that we need to make the reservation for the truck. We are concerned about the hazards of driving a 22' long truck with a car carrier but don't think a 16" truck would be enough room, as far as size and weight limit. Please, please help!!!!!

Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 29,914 times
Default Moving from California to Florida

We are moving in two weeks from California to Florida and at this point of our planning for this across the country move, we need to decide on whether to rent a 16' Penske gasoline truck with a car carrier or to rent a 22' Penske diesel truck with a car carrier. We have about 3 rooms worth of household items, as well as tools and equipment for our small contracting business, as well as about a room full of trees and outdoor plants in pots, etc that we want to take with us. At this point, we are totally in the dark about what size truck to rent. We have concerns about hazards of driving a 22' long truck with a car carrier across the country. We also have concerns about being stop on the interstate across the country for transporting outdoor trees and plants. We are also concerned about the availability of driving a 'diesel' truck whether there are plenty of fueling stations across the country for 'diesel' fuel. With the amount of weight of our household items most likely exceeding the 4,500 lbs limit of a 16' truck, we are now having to face the reality that we may have to be forced to rent a 22' truck instead. Anyone out there who have been in similiar situation in their past voyage across the country, your advise and suggestions are highly welcome at this point.

Thank you!

Old 10-25-2011, 03:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Get a Car Trailer large enough to get all four wheels off the ground. Those two wheel things are a disaster.
Buy the insurance.
The rest is up to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues