Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

For me, it's before the moves that have been the worst--preparing, organizing, figuring things out, selling a house. Once that's all done, it seems to have always flowed easier. The actual sorting, packing hasn't been hard cuz I've always thrown away, given away or sold lots of stuff before the moves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,571 times
The older I become, the older moving gets. I have moved every year since 2004, excluding 2009. I'll be moving again in a few months, albeit not very far from where we live now.

Wherever we end up, we're done for a few years. I never thought I'd say it, but I am finally ready to settle down somewhere for the long haul.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:06 PM

96 posts, read 171,969 times
Interesting thread. I also find moving extremely stressful. Just getting through the closing these days can be rough. Then you still have to move! I am hoping not to move again for a long, long time...

Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,549 times
Yes. It is stressful on the mind.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,802,418 times
For an natural introvert like me with OCD, social anxiety and is very loving and close to his folks even at 32 years old, its been really difficult for me to wanna move away from my comfortable living condition in my home town. But I know if I dont' do something to broaden my horizons and take a chance, i'm really gonna regret it.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Oh yeah, I remember in Psychology class years ago, moving was listed as one of the most stressful events.
Here is a great article about moving from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/re...anted=all&_r=0
Quote:
“It’s a matrix of safety, so moving is incredibly stressful and people don’t realize it — they mainly talk about the packing and the external part of moving.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/re...pagewanted=all
Here are some tips to help with moving.
Moving - How to Deal with the Emotional Stress of Moving

Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 AM

106 posts, read 477,059 times
Having moved to a completely different place (CA to Guam) as a single person with not many possessions was a piece of cake (even though I too felt stressed with how fast I had to coordinate plane tickets, shipping my household goods and car) compared to moving internationally later as a family with one kid and one dog. My advice is to always have a back up plan in case the unexpected happens; I blindly relied on my husband's sponsor to meet us in Turkey and needless to say we ended up with 6 suitcases an eight week old baby and a fifty pound dog in his huge crate after traveling more than 24 hours by plane, shivering outside the Turkish airport surrounded by taxi drivers all offering to take us to our destination, which we did not know where it was. That was one long story....moving back to the states several years later now with two dogs and two kids, I had learned a few things. If you're traveling by airplane, I used one large suit case for myself and two kids. Yes, you'll be wearing the same outfits often for a while but it is the transitions at airports, checking in, picking up suitcases, going through customs, etc that makes it so much easier when you have less luggage to transport. I shipped a lot of boxes to our temporary address (and you can claim that as a moving expense for work at tax time) and kept some things with us for the kids that we gave away the day we left. However, I do find that the stress does not end once you are unpacked or semi unpacked. You have the stress of navigating a new environment, findings new providers for you and your family, setting up utilities, etc, and all of this is financially and emotionally draining, two combinations that are not healthy. During our first move I was ready to kick my husband to the curb but now I've realized that I need to give myself 6 months before making big decisions after a move. When my husband and I argue more often before, during and after a move, I keep in perspective that it always happens when we are in that situation and try to brush it off and I remind him that we always do this during the move. As far as local people snubbing you, I have found that to be the case more so when we moved back to the states to a place where people had known each other all their lives and if they weren't interested in getting to know me I wasn't going to waste my time and effort either, and eventually I found other people with whom I was able to connect. So, you are not alone in feeling the stress after the move. What helped us was to make an effort to go to attractions or new places nearby as a family so,we would make a positive connection to a new place, because it seems that once I've lived in a place for a few years I don't tend to venture out as much since I have settled into a routine. Good luck OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues