Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 03:44 AM

9 posts, read 78,665 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I will be traveling from Chicago to LA soon and I need some advice for how to plan the trip. If I were somehow able to do this in 2 days, my goal would be to get to Denver (roughly 50%, 14 hr drive) for first night and finish the rest of drive next day. However, I am a bit confused how to divide into 3 days equally. It seems like just west of IL there are not many big cities to stop at for the night. For example 1/3 of the way would be at western Nebraska which seems quite rural. I would be more comfortable staying somewhere more populated.

Does anybody have any advice for how to divide the trip? Realistically could I really get to Denver in 14 hours if I really stay on top of things? Or if I need to divide into 3 days, where could possible stops be at?

Thank you for your recommendations and any other general advice you might have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
My son drove Cleveland to Phoenix. He left 9am Saturday arrived 11pm Sunday, stopped for about 6 hours to sleep, so about a total 35 or so hour drive. Your drive is right around the same length going all the way to LA. I think he made it somewhere to Oklahoma, Arkansas or Missouri'ish before he stopped. You also need to consider terrain (ie driving flat land is easier than driving mountains) and of course the never avoidable ROAD CONSTRUCTION lol! In calculating timing, I would tack a few hours onto any estimate you get from mapquest or google or whatever just to be safe. And of course to allow for a few potty or food stops or scenery stops along the way. ;-)

2000 miles was a bit much for a young kid (he was 20) on his own. I was terrified for him lol! I told him I would fly him out and ship his stuff instead, but he refused. So I told him thus: once you hit the AZ state line, if you run into trouble call me. Anywhere before you hit AZ, call your dad (back in Cleveland lol!).

I dont know the particular route you are taking and am not really familiar with the midsection of states to suggest exact stops. But some general advice:

1) Take bottled water, sunscreen, bug spray and a blanket with you. You never know what might happen. You can survive days sitting in the middle of nowhere, even oh around Vegas in the desert if you are taking that route. Even without food. But without water-you are a goner.

2) Let someone know your route before you leave. Establish check-in points-ie someone you will call every x number of hours. Realize that at places through your drive you may not get cell phone signals, so may need to hunt down a landline. This way, if something does go wrong and you are somewhere you dont have a cell signal, and this person doesnt hear from you within a certain time, this person could call for help for you at least knowing your last location and the last time you called and direction/route you were heading.

3) Stop when you are tired-period. Regardless if it is a planned stop. No one needs a tired cranky disoriented driver on the road just to get to LA quicker.

4) Summer be prepared especially through the midsection for storms. (At least it isn't snow lol!) Watch the skies and the weather.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:32 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,990,286 times
Default What are you driving?

Are you driving a truck (with your stuff)? Or. just your car?

If it is a truck, or a car with a trailer, You will not be driving that fast. Sure, on some open highways you will be able to get up to 65 or 70 - But, in that distance, you will be hitting all types of problems - Passing accidents, heavy traffic, construction...Or, you'll get a flat tire...who knows?

I've driven trucks and cars long distance for years (Had my own business). And, I learned not to be too optimistic about travel times.

Also, be prepared for anything. One time I had my car serviced before the trip, and the mechanic left a cap off - On the road it almost went on fire.

And this is a good point for everyone that has their oil changed - After you leave the mechanic, open your hood to make sure everything is OK - especially that the oil cap is on. If you speak to experienced firemen, they will tell you that often, car fires are caused by this.

So, give yourself plenty time - Doing 14 or 15 hours on the road, you'll find yourself dozing-off. Be realistic - take breaks, and if you can afford a cheap hotel, get a good nights rest - You'll be in better shape, and be alert. Especially if you are driving a truck.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
I'm not sure I'd have a problem staying in ANY of the towns in Western NE! As for the rest of the trip, I'd take the extra day and relax a little. The Rocky Mountains are beautiful and there's LOTS to see. Steep grades and spectacular scenery will slow you down a bit. As you head South on I-15, the scenery is also incredible in the area where UT, AZ and NV meet!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,304 times
Take the southern route....IL, MO, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA

Old 07-22-2009, 02:59 AM

349 posts, read 887,918 times
Smile I've done this twice, so perhaps can help

I had a membership w/AAA ~ I would suggest this, it's quite inexpensive even for the 100 mile tow option, which is what I had and would recommend for such a long trip.

AAA will give you maps and a book of all the hotels, so you can plan your trip. They will print a customized map for you also, that is bound and there is no way you can get lost that way. I'm horrible with directions, so I knew I would need that and it was valuable.

The book of hotels tells you exactly where to exit to find the place and how expensive it is, which is a help. Plus, with AAA, some hotels will give you discounts, which is nice.

It will take longer than you think, but can be done safely in 3 days. I had the advantage of having someone along to help with driving; that is a big, big help if you can manage it. I have sucky night vision, so I can't drive much at all when it is dark, esp. in areas I don't know

I started in Milwaukee, WI and drove through to Iowa or Indiana and spent the first night there, then the next night in CO and then on to CA.

My other advice is to please, take more breaks than you think you need ~ your eyes need to rest, if even for a few minutes. You will be amazed at what a 15 minute gas station stop will do to revive your senses. Plus, it feels great to stretch your legs a bit.

One thing to note in your planning is a place in CO called Green River (I think, it's Green something). Once there, it is 100 miles to the next gas station, and there are signs telling you as much, but good to know this ahead of time That was where I stayed, though my cousin and I almost ended up sleeping in the car b/c all the truckers were there, so you may want to hotel up a little earlier than Green River.

Either way, I would not have made it without AAA, so that is my suggestion and do enjoy the trip ~ beautiful scenery as other people have said

P.S. Maybe bring some snacky things that are easy to eat in the car - energy bars, beef jerky, etc. and water. Gas station prices are a little high on these, you can save a little by pre-planning.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
I always plan on 1000 miles a day and can usually do that easily. At modern speeds, without any bad backups or problems, it only takes 14 or 15 hours, including stops.

Two important rules:

1. Don't let your mind wander. Stay focused on the highway and what you're doing.

2. Keep the left door closed.

I'm curious, though, why you're going through Denver if speed is the objective? You couldn't have picked a worse route for making time, whether you're going through the mountains or all the way down to Albuquerque. Your fastest route is I-80 to Salt Lake City, then I-15 south because it has much fewer urban areas to go through and only one real mountain to go over (which you can avoid by taking I-84 to Odgen and picking up I-15 there.)

And, don't worry about the quality of motels along that route. Any national chain on the interstate should be fine. Holiday Inn's are uniformly well maintained wherever you go. Avoid the privately owned ones or any on the old highway going through the towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues