Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 09:44 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,271,143 times

Advertisements

Two words..Candlewood Suites..they actually WELCOME pets..we recently moved from southern Utah to WA state, we had an overnight in Boise and had thank goodness, made reservations at Candlewood. I cannot tell you how welcoming that place was..we had 3 dogs and they charged us 10 total for the dogs..not each, total..each room had a small kitchenette and recliner.

Never, never never leave your pets in the car overnight..you never know and if something happened you would never forgive yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 06:25 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,051 times
I just drove from CA to CT with a Lab. We were quite pleased to find that La Quinta Inn's are very pet friendly...and I mean very. In addition, we also found that Quality Inn's took pets as well, although this was not as nice a place to stay. I used the books for each state from the Auto Club and they were very helpful about noting pet friendly places to stay. Lastly, I think there is a website PetFriendly.com Homepage, that will help you tremendously. It is not as hard as you think. Please do not leave them in the car...

Old 10-05-2008, 08:51 PM

93 posts, read 204,764 times
It has been a while since I did much traveling with my dogs (dog shows and other events) but there are sometime things you need to be aware about such as interstate regulations for travel with dogs. Often you just get waved through but it is possible there could be a spot check. And sometimes if you take your dogs on a quick pee break, someone from Animal Control or other peace officer will go after you about some trivial issue and you may need to whip out some documentation.

Here's a relatively random page I found that gives suggestions on what to remember, and also links to USDA information on interstate travel with pets. (by random, I just mean I didn't spend a lot of time finding the most concise site)

Old 10-07-2008, 10:01 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
This may be too late, but with my husband in the military we have moved 3 times and Holiday Inn does have quite a few of their hotels that are pet friendly. I like Holiday Inn because they are pretty friendly when it comes to my kids and pets.
We did have some sedatives we got from the vet if they were needed. Only our cat needed them once.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
My dogs were fine on the move here (1500 mi) except for when we would hit the "idiot strips" designed to wake you up, both daschies would hit the roof when we ran over one.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,716,521 times
If the dog can be crated, then the question is the weather. My family moved from Ohio to Colorado with two St. Bernarns in a station wagon and got sedatives from our vet for that trip. If you can, you just stop and walk them as much as possible.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I always recommend that you have folding'take down cages for cats when stopping at a motel. They also work for dogs that may cause a mess. Ohter than that have a kit with paper toels'handi wipes 'bottled water and dishes handy when on the road plus leashes.Have there papers with you in case of problems.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:19 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
I wrote an article about this very subject - since I rarely go anywhere without my pets. This is it:

Disclaimer: If your idea of traveling with "animals" is to put them in a dog box in the back of the pickup bed &.forget about them until you get where you are going, do not waste your time reading this. This is about "pets" and furry or feathered "surrogate children."

Before you even think about planning a trip with your pets - a trip to the vet is in order. Your pets should be fully vaccinated per the requirements of the departure state, every state you will travel through and the destination. Various states have varying rules regarding the rabies vaccination. Some say boosters should be given yearly while others give it every two or three years. Usually, your home state will rule here, but don't count on it if there is an economic collapse, another terrorist attack or avian flu is spreading like wildfire in the lower 48.

Having the pets vaccinated is only half of it. The other half is getting written certificates of health with a list of vaccinations they have had - and when - to include any medications they are on. Keep these papers in the car whenever you travel with your pets.

Crates are the only and safest way to travel with cats. Cats don't understand things the way people do. A crash will send your cat off in three directions at once and you will likely never see him again, if he even survived. If you are hurt and have to be transported, do you really think your cat will be something the first responders are concerned with when you need to be transported? Highly unlikely, if they even realize there is or was a cat in the vehicle with you.

A crate is visible. Someone will take the crate, with your pet still safely in it, to a shelter, vet or foster home while you are getting medical care. Even after all the heartache and devastation of 9-11, newspapers were catching shots of police and paramedics giving aid to injured dogs and cats - and even birds. Be smart and be safe, especially in the aftershock of a terrorist attack, avian flu outbreak or economic collapse. Keep your cat in a crate.

The key in training your cat to go in a crate without a fight every time is to be patient and give both yourself and your cat a few weeks of conditioning before the departure date. Let your cat see the crate. Put your cat's meals in the crate so he has to go in the crate to eat. Don't bend on this. Hunger is the driving force for most animals. Leave the crate door open all the time so your cat can get used to it and used to coming and going at will. Keep a blanket in the crate, a toy, spray the inside lightly with catnip oil to entice them to spend time in the crate. Never use the crate as any form disciplinary measure. You want your cat to think of the crate as a safe haven, his/her very own space.

Most veterinary clinics require that all cats be brought in while secured in a travel crate. It's the safe way to transport a cat, period.

When traveling with Fido, the crate is again the place for him to be, if at all possible. The larger the dog, the larger the crate has to be. For large dogs, a large crate is going to seriously diminish the space in your vehicle for all the other gear. Still, if you can, make room for the dog crate. Dog crates come in a variety of sizes and materials based on the size and needs of the dog and the owner. There are all wire cages that are bulky, airline crates that come with handles and pop open crates that won't deter a determined dog from escaping, but which will give him his own space if you have to be in a motel over-night. The pop open crate folds flat and can be stored in a drawer until needed. It's about the handiest crate for a large dog. Still, a soft-sided crate is not a secure place for your pet - save the pop open

The dog crate, even in transit, should contain a blanket or article of clothing you wore for a day, chew toy, bone and a few biscuits or kibble in it. Dogs get bored and these items help alleviate that problem. If your dog is prone to motion sickness, food should only be offered at frequent rest stops along the way. The article of clothing is sometimes preferable to a blanket as it lets your dog feel he is closer to you when something with your scent is nearby.

Cages are essential for your pet bird(s). I don't care how well trained it is, your shoulder is not the place for a pet bird when you are driving. And in the event of an accident, you can kiss your bird goodbye - particularly if his wings are intact and even when your bird flew freely in your home & came when called. Everything looks a whole lot different when you add altitude and distance - particularly unfamiliar sounds and places and noise from a highway. It's pretty safe to assume your bird(s) have never seen you from a distance of 50 feet up - or more - and although I have seen birds fly off who normally come when called, they would answer their master's call but fly in a frenzied circle, oblivious to where their master's call originated. Cage birds cannot make it in the wild except in a few rare instances.

Keep the top of the cage covered and extend this about halfway down the sides to keep the birds sheltered from ever-changing positions of the sun and to keep them calm in unfamiliar surroundings. Leaving some room for them to peer out is essential so that some light does come in. Birds cannot see in the dark and if the coverlet is too thick, they will go to sleep. If they sleep because of the darkness, they may sleep through the whole trip and not be able to see enough to eat or drink. This causes serious stress issues with birds. Add the fact that the cage will seem like it's moving (it is) and the constant jostling will further upset the birds. Always keep water and food available to birds even while in transit.

Water is the single most important factor, and having access to it will help keep birds hydrated, even if they are disoriented and confused in excess of 24 hours. They have teeny tiny digestive systems and they need to be able to eat and drink at will - always. Place larger dishes than what you normally use for their food and water, but don't give them any more than you would normally put in regular sized dishes. The birds will know it's there and can climb down to get it. This prevents spills on the road. Furthermore, cages should be secured on a flat surface to prevent mishaps with sudden stops or finding a pothole the way I usually find them. Even in a crash, the cage is less likely to be damaged if it is secured in place rather than becoming a projectile that tumbles forward or through the windshield. And again, if your vehicle is involved in a crash, if the cage is visible - only partially covered - your birds will be removed from the car to be cared for. Never put the cage on the floor of the car or truck. The floorboard of many older vehicles can get really hot as the miles fly by - especially if planning to make the trek in one long haul - no stops. And after a crash, it may be completely overlooked if it is wedged behind your seat. Now, for the actual trip itself. The birds don't really need to make a potty break nor do the cats, since they should have a small litter pan in the crate with them. Still, check on them, talk to them, make sure they are fine and give them water or a few morsels of food or treats.

Dogs need those rest stops. I have known dogs that would "hold it" even when their owners stopped over in a motel for the night along the way. Their choice, but don't count on it. Generally, a dog that has been properly crate-trained will not soil his crate, but sometimes nature calls between rest stops. Add the stress of being in the car for longer than the usual ride to get a burger from Dirty Dave's Dandy Drive-thru so that little squat Fido did before getting in the car just might not have been a full bladder release. Heck, nobody told Fido the destination was gonna take the better part of a day - or more - to reach.

This last trip to Maine I took was even longer than usual because I was traveling with a puppy instead of two adult dogs that were on the same page as the driver. Two seasoned dogs sure beat travel with a puppy any day of the week. We stop, they get out and they have 5 minutes to take care of business, drink some water and have a few bites of food before they get back in the car. Puppies have trouble with that concept. They do everything but what they are supposed to do so that the five minutes you give them turns out to be more like 10 or 15. It's your nose and your car - do you really want to let them do it in their crates in the car? Trust me, give them the extra time, but don't let them take you for a walk.

Keep in mind that your dog(s) have no way of knowing the rest stop is not the final destination. At each rest area, give them a bit of water and some kibble or other ration, then give them the option of taking one last look at the nearest tree or fence post. Usually, dogs will get the drift of the program by the third stop. Puppies may take longer. When you need to use the rest area, don't leave the dogs tied outside of your car or to a tree. Leave your pets in the idling car, with the air conditioner(during warm weather) on and each window open about an inch. Ideally, there will be more than one person on the trip and one person should stay with the car and the pets rather than both leave. There are just too many animal rights activists and P.E.T.A. wacko types out there that are incapable of rational thought that will break one of your vehicle windows to "rescue" your pets. I'll spare you my further sentiments on them. So whenever possible one person should be with the car and pets at every rest area.

In cold weather, there are different rules for travel - particularly at rest areas. When you must leave the pet(s) in the car and leave the car, always leave at least one window on each side of the car open about an inch to let fresh air circulate. Even in cold weather, the interior of a car can get uncomfortably warm and stuffy with dogs inside. Remember, they don't know where you went nor when you will be back which will cause them to be anxious, breathing more heavily than normal and using up all the good oxygen in the vehicle. Do the incense stick test in your car. Do it in both hot and cold weather. Close up your car and light an incense stick. Leave it in your car and see how long it stays lit. In every car I've owned, the incense didn't even burn halfway before extinguishing itself. So forget about the heat in the car killing your pets - the lack of oxygen might get them first. So always, leave those windows open at least an inch - even if you are only going to be gone "a few minutes." Reality and intentions can get confused - especially since you can breathe while you are waiting in a line to use the bathroom or pay for something.

In a motel or at a friend's house, when keeping the pets outside is not an option, know your pets! Put them some place where they will not likely relieve themselves until they indicate they have to go out. My dogs are not particularly well house trained, but they are very well "bed trained." That is to say they will not soil a bed. If one of them jumps off the bed, that one needs to go out and it therefore time to take them both out. Some dogs may whimper for no apparent reason. Give them the benefit of the doubt and take them outside. Nine times out of ten, they will go water the nearest tree, stump or grassy area.

While in motion, never let your dog ride with his head out the window - unless he's wearing eye protection and ear plugs. I've already addressed how pets should be riding in the car, but heck, this also applies when you're making a fast run over to Dirty Dave's. In a post-world-ending event, your windows aren't likely to be open anyway, but even before the world ends, dogs can get any number of irritants in their eyes or ears that can cause a near endless battle to correct. The chances are slim, but where there's a chance, there's Murphy's Law!

One final note. No matter at what juncture you are in either overnight lodging or a friend's house, leashes should always be on even when in the crates in the car. It's one less thing you have to do when taking them for a rest break and one last thing you need to do when one has to go out of the motel room. Safety first.

Last edited by AliceT; 10-12-2008 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: did an oops

Old 03-26-2009, 12:48 PM

39 posts, read 128,187 times
Default moving from NYC to Seattle/sightseeing/traveling with animals

Hi everyone. Thank you in advanced to anyone who can help me out! I posted this a few days ago on the Seattle forum, but thought I might get some more responses here. Any information/advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm new to this. My husband and I are moving to Seattle from New York City in August, and we're just starting to research the move. While we're saving up for moving expenses, we are concerned with the price of moving.

Currently, we live in a small studio apartment, so we won't have much furniture to move. My brother in law is giving us an SUV, so we will drive that across country ourselves, doing a little sightseeing along the way. This is of course the ideal, and may not be the reality of moving.

1) What are our options for pack-ourselves/someone-else-moves type of move? since we live in the city, we can't have someone drop off a container. Would it be possible to have everything ready to load, and have someone come and pick it up? We'd be happy to hire laborers if that's necessary.

2) Anyone have an idea about how much this will cost us? If it's going to be super expensive, would it be more economically sound to drive the stuff across country ourselves and limit our sightseeing? If we do rent a uhaul-type vehicle, is it even possible to sightsee?

3) About the sightseeing (which is off-topic a bit, so i realize this might go unanswered): does anyone have experience with traveling with animals? We'll be moving with my small dog. And while we're staying with some family a few places a long the way, when we get towards the mountains, we'll be on our own out west. We want to spend a few days in some national parks (Yellowstone and Glacier). Does anyone have experience with traveling with pets in these areas? We know this would limit our time out of our vehicle. Or if it's possible to find a kennel to watch the dog for a day or two on the outskirts?

I'm sure i'll have more questions as moving day grows closer. Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM

27 posts, read 199,142 times
I've mentioned this in a few posts here, but I can't say enough good things about ABF. We moved from Seattle to Atlanta 4 years ago, and utilized them. Basically you load your stuff into the nose of a trailer, then put up a bulkhead and other stuff is packed in behind, and then they get your stuff from Point A to Point B. While they will drop a trailer, we weren't able to do that either, since we were consolidating two households. We rented a U-haul and went to the ABF terminal and loaded it up there. Once the trailer got to Atlanta, we did it in reverse. We used 10 cubic feet - the equivalent of a 2 bedroom household - and it cost us around $2300. Then we were able to caravan in our own vehicles and take our time.

Many motels allow pets - we travelled with our cat, which was its own adventure - and stayed in Motel 6 whenever we could. We stayed one night in Yellowstone at the Old Faithful Lodge, and had to leave her in the car overnight since they have a strict 'no pet' policy, but other than that, we had few problems. If you stay in a pet friendly motel and your dog is used to you being at work during the day, I would think you could leave them there with few 'potty' problems. If you have a travel kennel or crate, even better. Or for that matter, as long as you're not staying inside the parks, I don't see why you couldn't bring your dog along.

I would highly recommend putting Mount Rushmore on your to-do list, if you've never been there before - it's pretty amazing. If you sign up for AAA, they used to offer booklets that would tell you about sights to see, both popular and obscure - plus it will usually get you a slight discount on a lot of stuff.

That's all I've got for the moment, but I'm a pre-planner like you - we're moving from Atlanta to Omaha this summer, and I'm already scoping things out - so I'm guessing we'll probably have another exchange or two.. Good luck with whatever you decide on doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues