Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilover70 View Post
Moved from California to Hudson valley New York in October of 08..I have been in the snow before but nothing like this. I even lived near chicago for one brief winter when I was younger but the snow and the cold here are way too much to live in... IF you have a choice.I am moving back late fall this fall It's not so much the snow/cold persay but the fact that you are stuck inside and cannot venture out and get around without so much hasssle.I am so used to biking,walking, getting where I need to go and enjoying the outdoors all year round.Here your time is so limited.
Well, Cali isn't really fair. lol It's nice there all year long. Phoenix has the hot summers where you are stuck inside all summer anyway. The only difference is there you go swimming instead of skiing, or tubbing. lol
I've got the stuck in side thing down already. ha ha
I can't see blowing all my money living in CA, I would have to stay inside because I would be broke. ha ha Or working 247.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
I always say it is easier to go from cold to hot than from hot to cold. I never get sick in the winter for some reason. I could actually skip summer all together.
Yes, I can see this. On the flip side we have people dropping over every summer from out of state when it hits 112 or over. Not to mention their poor skin, so burnt. It's so hot sunscreen doesn't even do much. But, they are so happy without snow that they put up with it. Hence the thread. lol

I honestly don't think I will ever come back to the desert. I've had my fill, it was nice, but I won't be back.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I moved from central FL to WV and have vacation property in Maine. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I was in FL for 29 years and hated it for 30. It was just too hot! And yeah, if you slip and fall on ice when you are older, you are pretty much screwed, but if I tripped in FL, the fire ants would eat me alive or the sun would scorch every exposed skin on me or dehydrate me in record time - or all of the above. So I fail to see the argument for the slipping and falling being a valid argument.

Take precautions if you are feeble or unsteady on your feet. Invest in a pair of *** tracks (also known as yaktrax) *** TRACKS or Yaktrax Walker Foot Traction Device which allow you to walk on ice as sure footed as a mountain goat. These will save your life. Just remember to remove them when you enter a store with a smooth floor. I wouldn't reverse my decision to move back to the northern climate for all the cowboy hats in Texas.

I love the beauty of autumn and the serenity of winter. as well as the cool evenings in summer that allow me to open the windows and spare the air conditioner. I heat my home and cook with gas, so power outages really don't affect me much. If you need to move, don't listen to the people that spent their lives shoveling snow and fighting frostbite.
Aw yes, TREK FREEK suggested those *** Tracks and I've already ordered several pair for the family. We will be going back in winter (crazy) but thats when the job will transfer. lol Rather be out in the snow then out of work though.
I think I will like the winter too. It falls at the time of year I would want to be inside for school work, spring cleaning, etc. Then you can bust out in the summer with everything done, right?
Although, my poor husband will be a plumber there. Yikes! He says he doesn't care but I think it will be a little of a shock. *o*

Old 08-12-2009, 11:28 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
I may just add, that in all my years in WI, i could count on one hand the # of folks I knew from the south that made the move to the great white north.
BUT, in the 6 months we've been in SC, i can count on one hand the northerners i've met--and that's just in my neighborhood.

guess something to be said about warmth over cold.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:56 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
We moved from LA to NYC.
Then we moved from NYC to HI.
Then we moved from HI to DC.

It only takes one "cold season" to acclimate if you make an effort and wear the proper clothing, IMHO.

The kids adjust faster than the adults it seems.

(as far as snow, we happened to be living near baltimore in the late 90s when they had record snowfall and record 1 day total. but other than that year, we escaped what real northerners call "snow" :-) )

Old 08-12-2009, 03:49 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
Stuff about snow that snow-virgins might not realize:

1. It doesn't snow every day. It doesn't even snow every month. Every winter is different. Some winters you get away with barely anything, others you get more than you thought. Every winter is a surprise.

2. Coats, boots, hats and mittens can be fashion accessories. Shopping for them can be fun! They also make easy Christmas gifts. You can give them every year and no one will mind!

3. The more snow your area typically gets, the cheaper the seasonal plowing services are. Because the local market tends to become glutted with freelance plowers offering their services.

4. You (and your children) will become better drivers. A valuable skill.

5. Snow = instant fun for kids. In your own back or front yard. And cheap, safe fun at that.

6. There's nothing like a big blizzard to create a sense of community, with the added benefit that you get to experience the cameraderie without having to worry about serious property damage (ie the kind tornadoes, floods and hurricanes produce). Blizzards - the fun natural disaster!

7. Everyone feels the same way you do about getting to work late. Cuss your head off, no one will look down on you.

8. There is an increasing trend (even in snow-heavy cities) of closures and other leniencies due to heavy snow. I think I'm not the only one who has noticed the trend. Very often you don't have to go out because activities and obligations shut down.

9. Much higher probability of a white Christmas.

10. You will never experience more joy at springtime than you will after a long winter. You will realize that until you lived in a snowy place, you never even understood what springtime really means.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Great post! I added a few corollaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Stuff about snow that snow-virgins might not realize:
2. Coats, boots, hats and mittens can be fashion accessories. Shopping for them can be fun! They also make easy Christmas gifts. You can give them every year and no one will mind!
Mittens are warmer than gloves. Scarves are NOT just a fashion item, they really work. Hats should cover the ears. Wool socks rock. Cashmere is your friend.

Quote:
4. You (and your children) will become better drivers. A valuable skill.
4-wheel drive helps you start faster. It doesn not make you stop sooner. A SUV does not make you invincible.

Quote:
5. Snow = instant fun for kids. In your own back or front yard. And cheap, safe fun at that.
Also fun for adults. Buy the toys: snowshoes, XC skis etc. Make yourself go out in it and play!

Quote:
6. There's nothing like a big blizzard to create a sense of community, with the added benefit that you get to experience the cameraderie without having to worry about serious property damage (ie the kind tornadoes, floods and hurricanes produce). Blizzards - the fun natural disaster!
Just be sure you get to the grocery store before everyone else does. A well stocked pantry (hot cocoa, popcorn), wine cellar, woodpile, and bookshelf helps.

Quote:
9. Much higher probability of a white Christmas.
Yay!

Old 08-13-2009, 03:31 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
I grew up in the Northeast and have been in the South for several decades. If I move North, and I might have to because of family, it wouldn't be the snow or even the cold that would be the problem.

It would be those gray skies--day after day--for weeks sometimes--the grayness of it all. Barrenness and bleakness--gad--after years of blue skies and at least some sun every day.

Layers of clothing and seasonal stuff---after having one wardrobe and never using coats or hats or gloves except maybe once or twice every other year.

Also--everything seems cheerier in warm climes--the clothing, the faces, and the attitudes. That will be hard to face. The heck with a little snow!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:24 PM

261 posts, read 668,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Has anyone moved from a hot sunny climate to a cool climate with snow and loved it? I'm in Phoenix about to move to the East coast. lol
Most people I talk to in Phoenix have just moved from the snow country and love the Phoenix sun. They don't like much else here but the snow keeps them from going back. This worries me, is it that bad? Where they would be willing to give up everything else to avoid the snow?
Thanks
Why any person would want to move from a war climate to chronic diseas full climate is beyond me.

Snow realy is that bad, the older you get the worse it becomes. I was born in Canada so the cold don't bother me too much, but ever now and then when I have to wait 1 hour in -20 for a bus that should come ever 5 minutes but isn't because of the snow storm-or the first major snow of the year, I wish I was in a place that didn't snow or only snowed lightly like Virginia or NC or northern California. The best climate is probably like chile and peru but I don't know if that exist in North America, maybe Utah or Seattle but those are to rural for me.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:55 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
Gray skies never bothered me. Bright sun, on the other hand, can sometimes give me a headache.

I've been in Phoenix several times. It's hot and it smells like a wet dog on the rare occasions that it does rain. I can do without the heat. Or even the warmth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues