Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 12:03 AM

543 posts, read 1,901,218 times

Advertisements

I am curious. We are interested in moving from So. Calif. to PA to be closer to family and to experience living on the East Coast. We want to escape CA, and though we may not want to stay there forever, we would like to live a less hectic lifestyle, experience four seasons, and be close to New York City. We would also have family within a couple of hours drive, although that is not the main reason for moving.
When we mention the potential move to people out here they think we are crazy. Even though most everyone complains about the CA budget, the competitive lifestyle, etc. we are told how cold it is there and that we will not like it. Most people cannot give us good reasons not to go other than the weather.
Do people on the East Coast do the same when someone says they want to move West? Do they tell you it will be too expensive, or you will not like it in CA? I am just curious. It seems people here think this is the only place worth living and I can't wait to get out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
I've lived all over, and people will always tell you the same thing. People are fiercely loyal about their hometowns, and, also, some can be a little jealous of the fact that you are able to uproot and be free, when they may be tied down to whatever it is.

You have to do what you feel is best for you.

Good luck.. (oh, and it is cold there!)

Old 08-16-2009, 10:57 AM

372 posts, read 534,089 times
[quote=IonRedline08;10265388]I've lived all over, and people will always tell you the same thing. People are fiercely loyal about their hometowns, and, also, some can be a little jealous of the fact that you are able to uproot and be free, when they may be tied down to whatever it is.

I completely agree with this post. Most people cannot talk with you about YOUR interests and desires without projecting THEIR own interests. This is true for both sides of the coast.

Also, your ability to completely flexible to your location can stir up a bit of envy--many do not allow themselves that freedom.

Cali is great, but so is NY/PA... each very different, both equally terrific in the contrasts that they offer.

Best of luck wherever you are.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:03 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Yes, it's cold, but that shouldn't stop you. Not having a job/source of income should. Taxes are can be higher than CA and the cost of living is also high. It can also be competitive and hectic. Good luck with your decision.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:10 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,910 times
We got that when we moved out of Alaska. It was bad. Most of the people who were the most negative had never even BEEN to West Virginia! And now that we are here, we are so happy. Living is cheaper, houses are cheaper, and there is plenty to keep us busy. Don't get the negative vibes. Many people also told us in private that they wish they could move, too.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:08 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,373 times
I live in Ohio and want to move to Arizona. Everyone keeps telling me I will hate it because of the heat and the illegals. Well, I'm kinda going for the heat people. I love heat! And as far as illegals, I guess I should brush up on my Spanish. Cause until the government gets them out of here, they are here.

I say if you want to move, go for it.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I am curious. We are interested in moving from So. Calif. to PA to be closer to family and to experience living on the East Coast. We want to escape CA, and though we may not want to stay there forever, we would like to live a less hectic lifestyle, experience four seasons, and be close to New York City. We would also have family within a couple of hours drive, although that is not the main reason for moving.
When we mention the potential move to people out here they think we are crazy. Even though most everyone complains about the CA budget, the competitive lifestyle, etc. we are told how cold it is there and that we will not like it. Most people cannot give us good reasons not to go other than the weather.
Do people on the East Coast do the same when someone says they want to move West? Do they tell you it will be too expensive, or you will not like it in CA? I am just curious. It seems people here think this is the only place worth living and I can't wait to get out!
Well, we are moving from the northeast to the southeast - from NY to Florida and initially yes, people did try to talk us out of it, or they would have that puzzled look on their faces, like: why would you want to move there?!
The trick is it to be very easy-going about the whole move: "We want to try something different or we don't need a VISA to come back! We love to live in a new place...we want a change..." and smile about it.

The truth of the matter is, many people would love to move somewhere and start a new life. Many people don't have the balls to do it.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:29 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Yes, Yes, YES! After living in South Florida - the rat race and high cost of living (particularly the commute, requiring a nanny and private schools - because of the dismal state of public schools) we had a great opportunity in Minneapolis which included full relocation. Well we did our research and decided that except for the extreme winter it seemed like a good fit. After that we decided 3 million other people can do it - we could at least try. Well, I cannot tell you the comments and opinions (most unsolicited). So far, we are happy. You know what you need - live with zest and without fear.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
YES! We live in South Florida too, and are thinking about moving some place, down to one place on the east coast. And So. California on the west coast. And more people keep saying how expensive it is to live in California, the traffic is crazy, smog is horrible, its brown, the list goes on and on. They don't see anything wrong with living where we area, they think its perfect, yet South Florida has many issues itself. South Florida may be perfect for them, but not for us, I can't stand 10 months of 80+ temps. If you want to move you just got to do it, and if you hate it you can always move back to California.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 AM

218 posts, read 799,308 times
For the most part, that's what we're hearing too. Although my SO's parents shocked us when we mentioned a potential move to CA by asking us to get an extra room so they could have extended visits! My folks on the other hand...well, they only know we want to move, we've not quite broken it to them that we're considering the other side of the country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues