Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 PM

138 posts, read 600,838 times

Advertisements

We are building a home so it takes time.

My question is... How long do you think it takes to pack up? Reality.

I already put away things that I do not use, but the whole thought of moving is stressing me out.

I have so much to get rid of and so much to pack.

Who here is an experienced mover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chella View Post
We are building a home so it takes time.

My question is... How long do you think it takes to pack up? Reality.

I already put away things that I do not use, but the whole thought of moving is stressing me out.

I have so much to get rid of and so much to pack.

Who here is an experienced mover?
I'd say it depends on how big of a place you are moving out of. We moved from NY to NC last year. We had a large 2 bedroom apartment to move. I did what you have done (Packing up what you do not use) at about 6 months before. When it got to 2 months before, I did a box a night, or at least tried too. Hardest room for me was the kitchen. By the time the day to move came, pretty much everything was boxed and ready to be loaded.

You want to space it out so that it is not too overwhelming.

Where are you movng to/from, if you don't mind my asking.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:32 PM

185 posts, read 992,306 times
i packed up my 3 bedroom house in 2 months. for the last 2 weeks we were eating off of paper cups and paper plates.

i rememeber years ago arriving at my grandparents home to help them move. They didn't have any packing boxes. nothing packed at all. we put the furniture in the uhaul. the dishes, clothes, and nicknacks were thrown in laundry baskets. and we made many trips that way. It was one very long day, with Grandma yelling at us for not wrapping her precious breakables properly and our telling her that if she had packed anything at all she wouldn't have had that problem to worry about.

So try not to stress, but put things away labeled as you can. I'd dedicate a room to boxes and things that are not needed till after you move. And having a yardsale a few weeks before you move or a month before helps too. and you can donate to goodwill or churches and places clothes and things that you don't need (assuming good condition of course).

I purged half my closet before we moved and found stuff that I thought I had thrown away 10 years before!

good luck, just do a little at a time and try to relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues