Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 PM

20 posts, read 78,485 times

Advertisements

Which items can I expect a third party company to handle?
Third party companies will often be used to disassemble and reassemble grandfather clocks, pool tables, large exercise machines, outdoor playgrounds, and unusually large or intricate furniture items. Also, they are often called upon to disconnect icemakers, gas dryers, water softeners, and light fixtures.

Will your selected mover move high value items such as stamp and coin collections?
No, we recommend you move such items on your own. Transit insurances will not cover these items for loss or damage.

Do I really need to check off my inventory sheet?
Yes. This is your responsibility and it should always be done while the delivery is in progress.

What happens if I find that one or more of my items didn't arrive?
Don't panic. There is a good chance that the item isn't gone, but merely misplaced. As soon as you notice an item is missing, immediately notify the driver (if he is still at residence) or call your Move Coordinator and make him/her aware of the missing item.

What types of items are crated? How does crating take place, and can I request crating?
The main function of wooden crates is to add more protection for items that may not be fully protected in corrugated containers. Crates are mainly used for large, flat breakable items that are not in a protective frame. Often these consist of large glass tabletops, marble tops, intricately framed pictures/ mirrors and large unframed mirrors. Also large grandfather clocks are sometimes crated depending on their delicacy. Valuable paintings, statues, and chandeliers with fragile extremities are also crated. The distance of the move also plays an important role in whether an item will be crated. Obviously, the greater the distance, the more likely an item will require crating. Our estimators are trained to recognize which items can most benefit from crating. If you feel that an item needs to be crated let your estimator know and if possible we will try to accommodate you.

What happens if the truck cannot get near my home due to physical restrictions?
Sometimes, due to steep and winding driveways or rural roads, a tractor-trailer cannot get close (within 100 yards) to the home. When this occurs, the crew will often make use of a shuttle van. This requires the use of a smaller truck to transport items between the residence and the moving van. Although not always possible to determine, our estimator usually will be able to recognize if a shuttle van is required. Sometimes this cannot be determined until an attempt is made when the moving van arrives. Due to the nature of a shuttle, extra time and extra labor will be needed to complete your move. If you feel that for any reason the moving van will not be able to get close to your new home, please make sure your move estimator and/or Move Coordinator are aware of this.

Will the movers work on weekends?
Typically your mover will work on the weekends when required. Keep in mind that there is an additional cost associated with weekend work. Many companies will not authorize this additional cost, so ask your Move Coordinator if your move can be authorized for weekend scheduling.

Will the movers unpack my boxes, and if so, what does the unpacking entail?
If your move was authorized for unpacking, then the movers will be happy to unpack any boxes that they packed for your move. When unpacking a box, each item in the box is removed and unwrapped and placed neatly on a nearby flat surface. The main advantage to unpacking is the removal of the packing materials. If you will require a full unpack, please notify your Move Coordinator prior to your move and make him/her aware of this need.

If I unpack myself will you remove the cartons at a later date?
As long as your move is authorized for a carton pickup, we will be happy to schedule the removal of the packing materials. As with most requests, please notify your Move Coordinator prior to the scheduling of your move.

What happens if the weather is poor on the moving day?
The moving crew will attempt to wait out any bad weather such as heavy rain or snow. A light drizzle or snow will not hamper the move process since all furniture is fully protected before being removed from your house. If weather conditions persist for the majority of the day, your move may have to be rescheduled for the following day.
IMPORTANT: You are responsible for making sure that your driveway and walkways are clear of leaves, mud, snow, ice, and other hazards prior to the arrival of the moving crew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues