Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM

702 posts, read 2,186,153 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving on a somewhat limited budget, we planned to move April 13th. This is our first long move and we are running into snags. I am hoping someone can help out who has "been there".

We have money saved for 4-5 months of rent, food, ect depending on the place we choose to rent. We are both having problems finding jobs. We figured that the trouble finding one, we think because of the distance (FL to NY). Figured we would move and continue the hunt when we get there.... but no one will rent to us without proof of employment. I can COMPLETELY understand why they would want this from people who have bad credit or a crummy job history in the past, be we are not those people. We will prepay a few months or they could see bank statements, the best I could swing with a management company was 6 mos up front, which is just not feasible. We are just a little frustrated at the process as it is moving along. Maybe I could get some insight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 PM

65 posts, read 260,063 times
Default Wish I knew

I know how bad it is in Florida, but New York appears to be suffering from the recession too. Just moving without a job might be too much of risk at this time. This is most likely reflected in the fact that you can't find rental housing in your destination. That may be for the best even if you don't see it that way.

The one advantage I see that you have is that there are two of you. Can one go ahead of time and stay with friends or family during the job search? When a job is secured, then you can obtain housing and the other can move.

Many people are in some version of your dilemma right now. Every day I read posts where people are asking where to move for jobs. I have also read literally hundreds of posts for different geographic areas where they caution: "Don't move here without a job."

Maybe your better strategy is to let the job determine the location. Be willing to go anywhere in the U.S. and be willing to endure in a new place until the economy rights itself.

I wish I knew the right answer.

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:33 PM

Don't get me wrong. We have people that want us there for employment and there are PLENTY of housing and job options that we are seeing. I just keep getting the "Oh you can't be here for an interview until when??" and "...I wish we could, but we need people now." So it seems like we would not have an issue if we were there and ready for work. And recent development; my husband will have a job waiting pending a final interview which is company formality where my brother-in-law works, but that is not an offer in writing like the apartments are wanting.

I guess worst comes to worse we will get a weekly hotel and a storage unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRan View Post
I know how bad it is in Florida, but New York appears to be suffering from the recession too. Just moving without a job might be too much of risk at this time. This is most likely reflected in the fact that you can't find rental housing in your destination. That may be for the best even if you don't see it that way.

The one advantage I see that you have is that there are two of you. Can one go ahead of time and stay with friends or family during the job search? When a job is secured, then you can obtain housing and the other can move.

Many people are in some version of your dilemma right now. Every day I read posts where people are asking where to move for jobs. I have also read literally hundreds of posts for different geographic areas where they caution: "Don't move here without a job."

Maybe your better strategy is to let the job determine the location. Be willing to go anywhere in the U.S. and be willing to endure in a new place until the economy rights itself.

I wish I knew the right answer.

Anyone? Anyone?

Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 PM

65 posts, read 260,063 times
Your situation is better than some, especially with a job waiting for your husband. In that case, staying in a short-term rental might be best. Did you know that many national movers will keep your furniture in their storage for you? I used that service once on a move and it worked out great. The movers held my furniture for three months until I got settled in. If you are planning on moving yourself via U-Haul or whatever, I guess a storage facility is a good option.

Good luck in New York.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:10 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,693,073 times
Weekly hotel and storage unit is not a bad idea. That way, maybe you won't rush into making too quick a rental decision based on landlords' grace. Also maybe if you got a job while staying at the suite motel you'd know a reasonable address that works for both jobs. Treat it as an adventure and enjoy it.....

Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,408,135 times
My suggestion would be for your husband to go up first - obtain employment and then you and your belongings follow. Yes it would be hard but it would be less expensive than a weekly hotel. Do you know anyone in NY that your husband could stay with for a couple weeks?

Old 03-19-2010, 08:07 AM

I am not sure how it would be less expensive than a weekly hotel, maybe you could elaborate. In that case I would have to hire movers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
My suggestion would be for your husband to go up first - obtain employment and then you and your belongings follow. Yes it would be hard but it would be less expensive than a weekly hotel. Do you know anyone in NY that your husband could stay with for a couple weeks?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:23 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,408,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
I am not sure how it would be less expensive than a weekly hotel, maybe you could elaborate. In that case I would have to hire movers.
Years ago when my DH was first starting out in his career we ended up moving a lot since his jobs would only last a few months to a couple of years at the most. (He is an environmental health and safety expert) We would then have to move again looking for his next assignment. He would go to whatever city we had targeted and crash on a friend or relative's sofa until he got a position and a place for us to live. Then I would hire a couple of local kids in the town we were moving from to load the U-haul and the kids & I would drive to our new home. These days, they actually have movers you can hire by the hour to load & unload. Total cost to do it this way = Cost of truck + cost of movers (maybe $250.00 for professional movers about $175.00 if you use neighborhood kids). Weekly hotels cost at least $50.00 per night with tax. Thats $350.00 per week and over $1,400.00 per month. This way you have the hotel and you still have to pay for the truck and the cost for storage. It worked for us and also gave us flexability in case he couldn't find a job in the city where we were looking. To use an old saying...never put all your eggs in one basket.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:39 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
We had my father co-sign on the lease when we moved from NY to PA.
This way they knew they'd get their rent. Fortunately we both managed to have four jobs each that year!

Is this an option for you?
Also, maybe you can work a deal out with a local motel/hotel.

When we moved up here NY to VT they didn't care one bit that we didn't have jobs...(just saw $$$ and thought we were 'rich NY tourists...what a laugh.)

Where in NY are you going--this will help me think of more ideas...upstate? NYC? Long Island?

Old 03-19-2010, 12:43 PM

We actually tried that! My mother-in-law offered to co-sign and the townhomes told us that would not be acceptable!

We are moving to the Rochester area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We had my father co-sign on the lease when we moved from NY to PA.
This way they knew they'd get their rent. Fortunately we both managed to have four jobs each that year!

Is this an option for you?
Also, maybe you can work a deal out with a local motel/hotel.

Where in NY are you going--this will help me think of more ideas...upstate? NYC? Long Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues