Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:12 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Chattanoga, TN
Charleston, SC
Athens, GA
Fayettville, AK
Virginia Beach, VA
Austin, TX
Dallas, TX
Dallas a mid-sized Southern city You've got to be joking. It's one of the largest cities in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 06:31 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Athens, GA
Asheville, NC
Boone, NC
Lexington, KY
Austin, TX

Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
Austin, TX

Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 AM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmurrah View Post
Maybe no one else listed it because they thought it was too small, but this city is meets all of your criteria. No sprawl and very accepting of different points of view. We're atheists as well and are looking to get closer to family back in central AL and we're getting pretty discouraged. C-ville is utopia as far as size, mentality, weather, and a healthy supply of people who want to get outdoors. As far as size is concerned, the city has hosted the Stones, Clapton, DMB(of course), Yo Yo Ma, Cirq de Soleil(sp?) etc.... It has Univ. of VA, two great hospitals, and plenty of intelligent businessses. Charlottesville sounds perfect for you. Josh
I agree about C-ville. Has good live music

They also have people who believe in Christ too Nice church goin' folks.

Dave Matthews band is horrible though.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,757,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
You say this like it's a BAD thing...I'd probably not enjoy a very liberal and lowly religious community...
liberal =/ lowly religious community.

Conservatives do not have the monopoly on religion.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Yes, I will.

Most "progressive" people actually shun people who have spiritual convictions of any kind. Want to do away with the past completely (history goes out the window). They're open only to people who think and act like they do.

They tend to be the most narrow minded of them all.

No progressives shun people who try to impose their brand of religion upon other people because it is "the right" religion.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
liberal =/ lowly religious community.

Conservatives do not have the monopoly on religion.
Slightly off topic:

Why do liberals claim to be open minded but so closed when it comes to people with spiritual convictions of any kind? If you love Jesus, it doesn't mean you are an air head.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Slightly off topic:

Why do liberals claim to be open minded but so closed when it comes to people with spiritual convictions of any kind? If you love Jesus, it doesn't mean you are an air head.
As I said, why do you suggest that liberals do not have religion, or even strong religious beliefs.

What liberals don't like, is others trying to impose THEIR WILL on other people based on morals that they MAKE UP according to their own beliefs, without consideration for other people's version of morality, which may be as legitimate as their own.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
As I said, why do you suggest that liberals do not have religion, or even strong religious beliefs.

What liberals don't like, is others trying to impose THEIR WILL on other people based on morals that they MAKE UP according to their own beliefs, without consideration for other people's version of morality, which may be as legitimate as their own.
Um, Im a conservative and I never try to inforce my beliefs on others. On the other hand, many liberals tell me to hate Bush and keep it legal to kill babies.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:33 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
You have to consider first why certain southern cities are "liberal" or "conservative".

Many southern cities (Jackson, New Orleans, Birmingham, Columbia) are liberal only economically, as the majority of their population is African American.

Socially it is different. I dought you will find much support of gay marriage and/or abortion even within the minorities of those cities.

Austin, TX is the perfect combination of progressive social and economic ideals for me. And it's a sizable city of almost 700,000 people, so there is lots of stuff to do and see all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.