Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:06 PM

423 posts, read 824,142 times

Advertisements

I hate conservatives and I'm irritated by liberals. I lived in Washington, California, and now in Texas, and unfortunately there's no escaping those damn partisan hacks anywhere in these states. What city/state could you recommend where no one ever talks about politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 12:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Delaware

Old 06-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Stay away from state capitals.

In my experience, rural areas of a state that are 100+ miles from the state capital tend to be the least political.

The downside is that those places tend to have an entrenched old-boy network calling the shots. They may also be distrustful of newcomers.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:46 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I hate conservatives and I'm irritated by liberals. I lived in Washington, California, and now in Texas, and unfortunately there's no escaping those damn partisan hacks anywhere in these states. What city/state could you recommend where no one ever talks about politics?

In the U.S. is Hawaii.

Costa Rica in America.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Every state is going to have people who talk about politics (yes, even Delaware; I can tell you that from personal experience!), and no one state is apolitical. You could probably find neighborhoods or communities (or just circles of friends and coworkers) where people don't discuss politics. Maybe somewhere in a "purple" area would work? Or at least mean that if you're somewhere like work or a casual social gathering that people you don't know won't start up some highly partisan conversation and assume that you're going to agree. Maybe a politically-split suburb without any major controversies. I agree to stay away from the capitals, and certainly from anywhere within commuting distance to DC.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,561,880 times
From what I can tell Arizona, Arkansas, Hawaii, Nevada, Texas, and West Virginia have fairly low voter turnouts most elections.

Going by the conservative/liberal cities list Beaumont, Brownsville, El Paso, and Laredo in Texas look to be fairly mixed between conservative and liberal. Tempe and Tucson in Arizona are also listed as mixed as is Reno in Nevada. Although yeah you'll find some politics anywhere, but maybe in rural West Virginia or an Indian Reservation in Arizona US Left/Right politics is not as significant.