Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:17 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,730,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The biggest positive about Louisville and the surrounding areas ARE the people. Much more friendly and far less snobby and pretentious compared to Kansas City.
I agree. I moved to the area from the DC area and BIG difference.

Of course, I fully understand where the OP is coming from in regards of wanting to move somewhere different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 AM

37,129 posts, read 39,371,920 times
To the OP, have you made a visit to the Bay Area before or just Southern California? Southern California definitely has its share of stupidity, so perhaps you'd prefer norcal.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:00 AM

458 posts, read 1,271,736 times
Tennessee is part of the Ohio Valley? I don't think so...

Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
The big underlying factor that stymies much of the potential progress of the Ohio Valley continues to be poor educational attainment levels. We won't get an update on educational attainment until the 2010 Census is finished, but many counties in the Ohio Valley had fewer than 10% of the population with a Bachelors degree as of the year 2000. That is one big reason why you won't see high paying jobs move to the area- particularly the rural counties. The extreme insularity and ignorance of the outside world in some of these places is just shocking to say the least.
This area has to be one of the oddest in the country geographically and culturally. You have a combination of southern, midwestern, and appalachian cultural influences all mixed together on one geographic area. The places with the best potential in the Ohio Valley will continue to be Cincinnati and Louisville. Most of the other cities and towns will continue to stagnate and decline economically.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,607 times
Quote:
The big underlying factor that stymies much of the potential progress of the Ohio Valley continues to be poor educational attainment levels. We won't get an update on educational attainment until the 2010 Census is finished, but many counties in the Ohio Valley had fewer than 10% of the population with a Bachelors degree as of the year 2000. That is one big reason why you won't see high paying jobs move to the area- particularly the rural counties. The extreme insularity and ignorance of the outside world in some of these places is just shocking to say the least.
This area has to be one of the oddest in the country geographically and culturally. You have a combination of southern, midwestern, and appalachian cultural influences all mixed together on one geographic area. The places with the best potential in the Ohio Valley will continue to be Cincinnati and Louisville. Most of the other cities and towns will continue to stagnate and decline economically.
umm, i dont really think it IS an area culturally. all it is is a watershed. honestly the only time ive ever even heard the term used is the ohio valley conference, which has teams in alabama. so i dont know what the hell the ohio valley is even supposed to be?

also, most of the economic problems are on the south side of the river.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:49 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
For example, Louisville has Southern, Midwestern, and Appalachian cultural influences all intermixed in the same metro area. Regardless, the poor educational attainment in southern areas of Indiana, Ohio, and most of Kentucky is a systemic problem that has long-term negative economic ramifications for the entire region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
umm, i dont really think it IS an area culturally. all it is is a watershed. honestly the only time ive ever even heard the term used is the ohio valley conference, which has teams in alabama. so i dont know what the hell the ohio valley is even supposed to be?

also, most of the economic problems are on the south side of the river.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:02 PM

6,335 posts, read 11,083,649 times
Quote:
The biggest positive about Louisville and the surrounding areas ARE the people. Much more friendly and far less snobby and pretentious compared to Kansas City.
Ain't this the truth.

To Eclectic Ears. I'm from Connecticut and lived along the coast for a while. You are ruining our image with the rest of the country by complimenting us for our civility. Here in my current home in the Kansas City area the way I've been treated by these people you'd think I was Ted Bundy. If you want to meet really rude, uptight and pretentious people please visit KC. You won't be disappointed and it will help you to put into the proper perspective, the areas you've become disillusioned with over the years. I've been to most of those places and I have a much more favorable opinion of the people in these areas than KC.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:02 AM

8,611 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee to the Cleve View Post
This does not sound like Cleveland at all. Have you ever visted the area? If so, how long did you spend here before you came up with your opinion? Many people would agree that Northeast Ohio (Cleveland area) is more of a combination of the Midwest and Northeast, which is unlike the rest of the Ohio Valley.

As long as you are not rooting for the Bengals when Cincinnati is town to play the Browns, Clevelanders are generally nice, welcoming people. We like to see people from out of town visiting our city and seeing what it has to offer.
I too have found the people in Cleveland to be rather standoffish. I've also seen more racial tension there than many other places. Even the gay men (not all, but many) were rather racist which frankly shocked me and was a huge turnoff.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:38 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,478 times
I saw this thread and thought "Not again."

I'm convinced that Electric Ears is simply a nasty troll. His rants are always the same, he hates where he lives, blah blah blah.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:50 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post

and all the southern and new england towns you named wont have the weather you want, and inland southern california is less diverse than cincinatti, lousville or nashville or wherever it is that you lived.
Seriously, do you really believe that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.