Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times

Advertisements

But from what I read, NY is usually only in the middle of the pack for education results. When will the out of control spending stop?

Census Bureau: New York tops nation in per-pupil spending | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:29 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
But from what I read, NY is usually only in the middle of the pack for education results. When will the out of control spending stop?

Census Bureau: New York tops nation in per-pupil spending | democratandchronicle.com | Democrat and Chronicle
That is misleading due to the NYC school district and NY also has the highest percentage of kids in AP courses....So, it depends on where you are in NY too.

There are also quite a few high performing schools throughout the state and even in the bigger urban school districts, you can find some very, very good schools and/or programs.

I do think that the performance of schools in the state can be better, but you also have to think about what effects the average. Think about schools in say Westchester County, which has pretty much good schools across the board, with some exceptions that would still be good in many, if not most states. Same with Long Island too. Those areas have a very high cost of living. So, it's going to skew the average versus say schools in Upstate NY, which still has plenty of good schools.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
I thought it would definitely be NJ, but no, NJ is #2

I agree with CKH.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:53 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is misleading due to the NYC school district and NY also has the highest percentage of kids in AP courses....So, it depends on where you are in NY too.

There are also quite a few high performing schools throughout the state and even in the bigger urban school districts, you can find some very, very good schools and/or programs.

I do think that the performance of schools in the state can be better, but you also have to think about what effects the average. Think about schools in say Westchester County, which has pretty much good schools across the board, with some exceptions that would still be good in many, if not most states. Same with Long Island too. Those areas have a very high cost of living. So, it's going to skew the average versus say schools in Upstate NY, which still has plenty of good schools.
I thought of this, but if you look at the per pupil spending in the upstate communities, it is still far beyond the national average. The city of Rochester for example spends around 20k per pupil and has a horrible graduation rate. The suburbs seems to spend around the state average listed in the article, yet the cost of living is low.
There are some nationally ranked schools in the state. But you don't need the enormous spending to get those results. Public school districts in other states have some top schools and they don't spend nearly as much as they do in NY.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:02 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I thought of this, but if you look at the per pupil spending in the upstate communities, it is still far beyond the national average. The city of Rochester for example spends around 20k per pupil and has a horrible graduation rate. The suburbs seems to spend around the state average listed in the article, yet the cost of living is low.
There are some nationally ranked schools in the state. But you don't need the enormous spending to get those results. Public school districts in other states have some top schools and they don't spend nearly as much as they do in NY.
While true, what about the volume of top schools? There are schools that are still very good in NY that don't get the recognition. For instance, the school I went to outside of Syracuse averages in the low 90's in terms of percentage of graduates in 4 years and out of that about 90% of them go to college. It hardly gets recognized nationally though(recently), but it is still a school of high quality. I'm sure it's the same in other metros in the state too.

Other states have their share of poor urban schools too. So, unfortunately, that is a national issue that needs to be addressed.

Don't get me wrong though, I think that the spending does need to be curbed a bit and charter options should be available in the major cities in the state at a high volume then they are now. It keeps everyone honest, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.