Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 08:26 AM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Well, I think some places in the U.S. definitely have a richer history and culture than others. While other places have better scenery. Those are probably the biggest differences that stand out. Otherwise, I agree there's a great deal of uniformity throughout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,597 times
Big box superstores like Wal Mart have taken over many traditional Main Street downtowns in small towns across the country.

Many of these big box stores build on the outskirts of small towns, helping to destroy the business of main streets.

You can't fight free enterprise, I know, but it is sure sad to see many of these small towns across America lose a large part of their identity.

I used to enjoy visiting small towns across the country, strolling through their main streets. Unfortunately, there are less and less businesses in the main streets of America nowadays. Everyone is at Wal Mart.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:41 AM

463 posts, read 1,564,985 times
Most places are pretty much the same with the same kind of people, the differences are mostly superficial. Which makes all the north vs south, east vs west fights pretty silly.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:47 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
Most places are pretty much the same with the same kind of people, the differences are mostly superficial. Which makes all the north vs south, east vs west fights pretty silly.
Americans value conformism over individuality. So the surroundings are getting to look the same.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 AM

28 posts, read 76,306 times
no

Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
Is every *place* really the same? NO!
Are *people* everywhere the same? YES!

Big difference.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:45 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
maybe in the suburbs... there are several *gems* both cities and communities that are definitely different, and that is why people want to move there.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:42 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,753 times
There are few kinks here and there, but for the most part, yes. Cities have different weather and a few cultural differences, but think about it: your regional cuisine may not be the same as mine, but we both have regional cuisines. Your accent may not be the same as mine, but we both have accents. You may not have the same day to day hobbies I have, but we both have hobbies. Most people like music, like food, etc. The only difference is what they like, which is why it's so hilarious when some people get on their high horse about their city.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:45 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
Only the ratios are different.

Every type of person is everywhere.
But there are more in some places than in others.

But I agree about sprawl and strip malls and suburbs.
Then the only difference is the weather.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:52 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
There are few kinks here and there, but for the most part, yes. Cities have different weather and a few cultural differences, but think about it: your regional cuisine may not be the same as mine, but we both have regional cuisines. Your accent may not be the same as mine, but we both have accents. You may not have the same day to day hobbies I have, but we both have hobbies. Most people like music, like food, etc. The only difference is what they like, which is why it's so hilarious when some people get on their high horse about their city.
difference in what they like and cultural differences is a major reason why some people leave certain areas...they just aren't a good fit. especially if you are extreme in one direction, while another area is extreme in another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.