Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That's more of an informal moniker, I've been in the same place for 3 years at this point but will of course once again move soon, pretty fitting. It's possible I will settle down, but, who knows.
I was just teasing. I'd move every 2-3 years if I could. I want to live everywhere. I've been in Montana too long now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM

132 posts, read 545,830 times
For me, the moment when I have actually felt like I "lived" somewhere was the first time I reminisced with another resident about memories of the city's past: old businesses that have gone under, iconic landmarks that have been cleared, noble politicians, festivals that have been discontinued,or surviving a well remembered natural disaster.

I've lived in four states in three parts of the country, and I still remember those identity-defining conversations vividly.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I was just teasing. I'd move every 2-3 years if I could. I want to live everywhere. I've been in Montana too long now.
There are good sides and downsides to this. At some level, you are always somewhat of an outsider wherever you are. It is also harder to make deep friendships with the more cliquey locals. On the other hand, it's easier to see differences in a place b/c you see them as is, instead of gradual change that is harder to notice. Also, you meet friends in lots of places, so continual traveling is easier as you often know somebody in X city you can stay with, and those friends will want to come visit you wherever you happen to be also. You also might appreciate aspects of a place that locals take for granted, and willing to try new things as you don't really have a routine or "must go to" places.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:14 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Here's a rather silly test I came up with right now--do you clean your bathroom? If you're just staying for a short while, you'll never do that chore, but if you live there, you have to. To me, living in an area is just going about the daily activities of life. I will say I lived in Kobe for a month, but I will not say my month in Italy counts as living there because in Italy, I ate out for most of my meals and never did chores.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I would say I lived there if I met at least three of these criteria:

1. Paid rent in advance at least a week, preferably a month.
2. Open ended, with no projected departure date.
3. Unpacked all my stuff and put it away.
4. Acquired personal articles for use in that place which would likely be left behind.
5. Arranged or actively sought a means of economic support within the locality.
6. Establish social contacts with people who expect you to stay awhile.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 AM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
For me personally it would be a few months at least. Not to mention during that time going to work everyday, school, etc. I also like the idea gobigred mentioned about also receiving mail.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:47 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
My only qualifications

a) you are staying in the same place and not on a vacation, i.e. you are working or in school.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:41 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I actually have thought about this before and consider three months the cutoff going strictly by time. But on a less tangible level, I just think it comes down to two main factors: 1) do you go about normal, everyday business and 2) do you consider yourself living there (and at home) even if it's very temporary.

If both are satisfied then i can't argue with ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Here's a rather silly test I came up with right now--do you clean your bathroom? If you're just staying for a short while, you'll never do that chore, but if you live there, you have to.
haha, i like this!

Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
How about this one.

I got a job in Nashville. My wife and I moved there, found an apartment, moved all our stuff in, I paid a month's rent, and I dutifully drove to work every morning, thinking I'd be there forever, and we acted like we lived there. For three weeks. Then the boss called me in and said that I had been hired only to fill in for three weeks, because the person they had hired for the job had to give notice, and could not be there for those three weeks. Sorry, nobody ever said life was fair, here's your check and some severance pay and a letter of recommendation. Good luck. A week later, I was in Lexington at a new job.

I was in Nashville for a month. Can I say that I lived in Nashville?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
^So you in my opinion, you met the first criterion so it's really up to you to decide whether you feel like you lived there. If yes, then yes. If not, then no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.