Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:53 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

HAWAII is by far the most laid back state. It's very isolated of course and can be too laid back for some, but if you want the laid back, island lifestyle Hawaii is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:47 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,104 times
New Mexico has got to be the most laid back.
Let's just say nobody is in a hurry in NM.

Doesn't matter what city, Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Roswell, Farmingfion, even Santa Fe.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:35 PM

292 posts, read 725,308 times
South Florida has some of the rudest people in the nation! Miami has a reputation that tops New York City.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:50 PM

181 posts, read 505,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth08 View Post
For laid back personalities I would think the South and West Coast. Even the way people dress on the west coast you can just tell they are laid back ( a simple V neck, shorts, flip flops, sunglasses).
I have to disagree with this. At least, speaking for the West Coast/California. Ok, maybe parts of San Diego and the Central Valley are laid back, but LA has become as stressed out as New York. Or worse, since everyone drives.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
I wonder why that is, I picture small rural farm towns in WI and Iowa to be very laidback and slow paced, but Ive never been there.

I disagree with the poster your responding too regarding the upper midwest being fast paced. I dont live in Mn or Wi but I do live in rural central Michigan. Michigan is no different from the other states of the upper midwest and I would not call it fast paced here at all. Having spent time acrost the lake I know they are no faster paced than we are over there in Wisconsin. Are we as laid back as the south?? no prob not but compared to the coastal areas we are quite slow paced and laid back. Everyone has thier own opinion and perception of a place or region, but having lived here my entire life it is my opinion the upper midwest is overall a more laid back and reserved part of the nation.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:35 AM

6 posts, read 6,322 times
rural south

Old 09-08-2012, 06:15 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncalifornian girl View Post
I have to disagree with this. At least, speaking for the West Coast/California. Ok, maybe parts of San Diego and the Central Valley are laid back, but LA has become as stressed out as New York. Or worse, since everyone drives.
Hmmm…someone who really understands what the term “laid back means”. Your 1000% right!

I’ve been up and down the East Coast, West Coast, Gulf Coast, and through the interior of the USA…and wherever there is heavy traffic and congestion = you have stressed out angry people. I saw this in LA (extremely bad), Phoenix, Washington DC (very Bad), Denver, parts of south Florida…etc. It doesn’t matter what part of the country you live in. NYC in fact, due to all the public transportaion was less stressed than many areas of LA/SOCAL it seemed to me.

On the other hand, I’ve been to some small beach towns in northern Florida, Rhode Island, central California, the Gulf coast (esp Texas), that are as laid back as it gets.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:10 AM

407 posts, read 829,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i have never seen a laid-back city before. where i live, a small metro area of 300k, people move from NYC or DC and call it "laid back"..
I would imagine that to New Yorkers, any city with fewer than 1 million people would be a 'small town'

Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,843 times
The South I'd image must be pretty relaxing, especially the Deep South. Any place I've traveled in the world where it gets really hot, the people tend to know how to keep cool--keep relaxed.

Also the Plain States seemed to be very relaxed. A lot of open space.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 AM

407 posts, read 829,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleo99 View Post
South Florida has some of the rudest people in the nation! Miami has a reputation that tops New York City.
I don't think folks in NYC are 'rude', per se. What some may percieve as 'rude', I see as just being very blunt and get-to-the-point.

Because when you're crammed in a city with 10+ million, you can't afford to waste time with idle chatter, as you're trying to rush to catch a taxi or train to where-ever you happen to be going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.