Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 01:38 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
US 83 is a better divider.

In Texas, that goes through Childress, Abilene, Junction, Uvalde and Laredo
I definitely think there's a "buffer" zone and i-35 is where it begins. The first major city in the buffer is Fort Worth. Other cities that lies in the buffer which contain both Western and Southern characteristics include: Abilene, San Antonio, Austin, Lubbock, Big Spring, Midland.

Imo, Odessa is the first "Western" city in Texas outside of the buffer. Other cities west of the buffer include Marfa, Alpine, El Paso, Monahans, etc.

Then again, if the CA - > TX migration continues (which I've taken part of), the entire state could become culturally Western.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 08:44 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I definitely think there's a "buffer" zone and i-35 is where it begins. The first major city in the buffer is Fort Worth. Other cities that lies in the buffer which contain both Western and Southern characteristics include: Abilene, San Antonio, Austin, Lubbock, Big Spring, Midland.

Imo, Odessa is the first "Western" city in Texas outside of the buffer. Other cities west of the buffer include Marfa, Alpine, El Paso, Monahans, etc.

Then again, if the CA - > TX migration continues (which I've taken part of), the entire state could become culturally Western.
I've been to San Antonio, and don't really consider it western, they still get over 30" of rain a year and are very humid, same for Austin and Ft Worth.

I honestly don't feel the west has started until I hit Junction on I-10, Abilene on I-20 and Shamrock on I-40

Old 08-17-2017, 04:51 AM

232 posts, read 302,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've been to San Antonio, and don't really consider it western, they still get over 30" of rain a year and are very humid, same for Austin and Ft Worth.

I honestly don't feel the west has started until I hit Junction on I-10, Abilene on I-20 and Shamrock on I-40
Great post. Key 2 words: "very humid" If people in this thread haven't experienced the difference between humid and semi-arid air...they haven't traveled or lived long enough in this country of 4000+mi from East to West. For me it was all explained on a "Wayfarer" marker (looks like a historical marker off road) that exists on the state fair grounds in Huron SD with the title: "Here the West begins." Google it. Humid air is thicker....Semi-arid air is thinner and dryer. The more you age, semi-arid air becomes more attractive and pleasing to the human body IMO. As once explained to me: "The West is composed of mountains, deserts, and valleys." Thanks.

Last edited by tommyp1; 08-17-2017 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-17-2017, 08:37 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
At the risk of repeating myself, the west begins wherever you want it to.

The definitions can change based on your point of view. Someone on the East Coast can call the "The West" anything outside the eastern time zone. (But they would be wrong).

Historically, this country was built on an 18th and 19th century outlook. The west was originally considered anything outside the 13 colonies. Unfortunately, this attitude is somewhat still alive today.

But by the 19th century the west had a new definition, thanks in part to Lewis & Clark, and the advancement of railroads and westward expansion in general.

Today, the west is clear cut as we can see the entire country, unlike the pioneers that didn't have much vision of such.

In 2017, the west is generally classified as those areas west of the a line that stretches along the eastern borders of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico. (Perhaps a nod to West Texas).

But back to my original point. It still is a matter of what you want it to be.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:45 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

The definitions can change based on your point of view. Someone on the East Coast can call the "The West" anything outside the eastern time zone. (But they would be wrong).

Historically, this country was built on an 18th and 19th century outlook. The west was originally considered anything outside the 13 colonies. Unfortunately, this attitude is somewhat still alive today.

But by the 19th century the west had a new definition, thanks in part to Lewis & Clark, and the advancement of railroads and westward expansion in general.

Today, the west is clear cut as we can see the entire country, unlike the pioneers that didn't have much vision of such.

In 2017, the west is generally classified as those areas west of the a line that stretches along the eastern borders of Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico. (Perhaps a nod to West Texas).

Yes, generally agreed, but the West does include the western portions of the Great Plains states of West River (Dakotas), western Nebraska, western Kansas, western Oklahoma, and west Texas. As discussed, that transition is around the 100th meridian, or along and west of hwy 83, 281, or 183.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, generally agreed, but the West does include the western portions of the Great Plains states of West River (Dakotas), western Nebraska, western Kansas, western Oklahoma, and west Texas. As discussed, that transition is around the 100th meridian, or along and west of hwy 83, 281, or 183.
Agreed, that is why I used the term "generally". But you are correct, Western ND, SD, NB, OK and as I mentioned TX, all feel more western.

As someone else mentioned, Dallas, TX is eastern, but Ft. Worth is western. An interesting divide that still seems to exist today.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:02 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,974,985 times
When I drove from Houston to LA, it started feeling western once I got close to Kerrville, Texas. A noticeable shift in vegetation and landscape. Cities and businesses were also spaced out a lot farther from each other, speed limit went up to 80, and cell phone reception was lost not too long after (thanks Sprint!).

If you've never done the drive through Texas on I-10, its pretty interesting how the state changes from Houston to San Antonio to El Paso.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:18 AM

Indeed, Texas is so big that you can experience big changes from east to west. The Houston area is so totally different than West Texas. West Texas is perhaps more similar to New Mexico or even Colorado.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:12 AM

101 posts, read 91,642 times
100th meridian.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:41 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

I think this discussion and thread proves this. Look at all the talk about Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.