Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 AM

166 posts, read 611,867 times

Advertisements

I'm about a year away from graduating with a sociology degree from Middle Tennessee State University and really want to leave Tennessee. I moved here when I was 5 years old from my original home state, New Jersey. Me and my family lived in Mercer County, which was the best since we were right in between Philadelphia and New York City (30 minute and 1 hour commute, respectively).

I know that a lot of people from the North (particularly the BosWash megalopolis) have moved to the South in the past 10 years, with Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolinas and Florida being the popular destinations. I just would like to get an opinion from the people originally from up North who ventured south: Do you miss your original home-state?

I go back to New Jersey every summer to visit family and absolutely love it. This past summer I probably had my best vacation ever. With my college education ending soon, I'm really contemplating about whether I should make the move back up north. I know about the taxes, the colder weather, etc. But I just find the South too boring and overly religious. Am I looking at New Jersey with rose-colored glasses or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:01 AM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I miss the northeast even when I merely think about living anywhere else in the U.S. I like to be more open-minded and hope things don't stay like this for good.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM

177 posts, read 530,449 times
I'm 23, and lived 21 of those years in New Jersey before moving to Philadelphia. I love NJ, but for me, it's WAY too expensive and crowed. I actually still work in Princeton.

NJ has a long way to go and a lot to fix before I'd consider moving back there. My family is all from NJ, and they're all looking to leave within the next few years.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 AM

192 posts, read 560,067 times
I think it really depends on where in the North vs. where in the South you are talking about. People on C-D always seem to want to compare the most vibrant and progressive areas of the Northeast (Manhattan, etc.) with the most rural and conservative areas of the South. There are plenty of boring towns in the North, and lots of vibrant culture in the South.

For me, I ended up moving from New England to Charleston. Aside from a couple times a year when I'd love to see Vermont leaves or Cape dunes or something, I haven't looked back. But Charleston is quite cosmopolitan for its size, so I didn't give up too much in the way of culture. It's definitely more laid back here, which is a plus in my book. There are more protestants & fewer Catholics, but the religion thing is pretty easy to avoid here in my experience.

In short: Yes, I like living in Charleston, and do not wish to return to the North.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:10 AM

166 posts, read 611,867 times
Thanks for your input Drayb3, but I actually was looking more of a response from people who live in the southern U.S. (i.e. Georgia, NC, Florida, Tennessee, Texas). Philly is still the Northeast and is still sort of home for me since I only lived 30 miles away back in the day.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:21 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,043 times
I love the South more, then the North by a LOT. I wanna stay below the mason dixon line, y'all hear? I don't fit in at all with Northerners, I'm too conservative, more Religion-friendly then most northerners, I listen to Country Music, and I can NOT stand the noise anymore!

I like ribs, I like country singers, I love God, I'm a firebreathing supporter of the Republican Party, I love it below the Mason Dixon Line.

Because that's where it's at

Old 07-16-2010, 12:47 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,687,749 times
Even though FL is part of the south I wouldn't put it in the same cat. as GA TN and the carolinas. The northern culture is dominate in the main FL cities besides Jacksonville.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:57 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Even though FL is part of the south I wouldn't put it in the same cat. as GA TN and the carolinas. The northern culture is dominate in the main FL cities besides Jacksonville.

what is "Northern Culture"?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post
I think it really depends on where in the North vs. where in the South you are talking about. People on C-D always seem to want to compare the most vibrant and progressive areas of the Northeast (Manhattan, etc.) with the most rural and conservative areas of the South. There are plenty of boring towns in the North, and lots of vibrant culture in the South.

For me, I ended up moving from New England to Charleston. Aside from a couple times a year when I'd love to see Vermont leaves or Cape dunes or something, I haven't looked back. But Charleston is quite cosmopolitan for its size, so I didn't give up too much in the way of culture. It's definitely more laid back here, which is a plus in my book. There are more protestants & fewer Catholics, but the religion thing is pretty easy to avoid here in my experience.

In short: Yes, I like living in Charleston, and do not wish to return to the North.
That's not true, as many have even looked at smaller cities in the North to compare to various cities in the South. I think it's just that the major cities in each of the regions dominate the forums.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:58 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
I love the South more, then the North by a LOT. I wanna stay below the mason dixon line, y'all hear? I don't fit in at all with Northerners, I'm too conservative, more Religion-friendly then most northerners, I listen to Country Music, and I can NOT stand the noise anymore!

I like ribs, I like country singers, I love God, I'm a firebreathing supporter of the Republican Party, I love it below the Mason Dixon Line.

Because that's where it's at
not picking on you, but i find it funny that if a northerner were to say "i don't want to move to the south because it's too conservative, too republican, too religious, too country" they'd be torn a new one seven days 'till sunday for being "stereotypical" !!!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.