Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:02 PM

353 posts, read 656,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I don't like to attack another state especially when I really admire the beauty of Arizona. But the attention Arizona is getting for a variety of reasons make it stick out in an unflattering way and so unlike the states that surround it. The governors of Nevada, California, New Mexico, Colorado and Texas have also expressed regret over how Arizona conducts business. I would be embarrassed if I lived in Arizona. The racism goes back decades and was only stirred up intentionally or otherwise all the more by the recent immigrant law. If TV commentators and entertainers go out of their way to deride and criticize your state then I would start wondering about the intelligence of your state's legislators.
I personally am against the law but I disagree with your assessment that AZ is by and large a racist state. The MLK thing is complicated but it passed the 2nd time and it had nothing to do with the threat of a boycott. They rejected it the first time even with a threat of a boycott because they didn't want to create another state paid holiday. The 2nd time it passed overwhelmingly when they combined Washington and Lincoln's birthday into one day. If Arizona is fundamentally racist in your opinion why would that be? It is a state made up of transplants. It was settled by people from northern regions of the US much like CA, NV, CO, etc. Do you honestly believe that only the racists from the Midwest and east chose to settle in Arizona? If I was a racist and didn't like people with brown skin Arizona would be one of the last places I would go to. This image of Arizona as a bunch of minority hatin' good ol' boys is just ridiculous. There is much diversity here and it is far more open than many of the people taking shots at us believe. As for our politicians though, take as many shots as you like. Our politicians are a joke. I think one thing we are guilty of is apathy. This leads to many unqualified and just whacked out people holding offices here that have no business. There is no greater gap in perception and reality of any state in the US than Arizona. I marvel at what some others perceive us to be when the reality is 180 deg. opposite. It does bother me that our unelected governor doesn't seem to care how other people see us. It's pretty arrogant of her considering we didn't even put her in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 04:05 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
I can't help but wonder how much of this is related to very different racial/ethnic makeups depending on what age group you are looking at in Arizona.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:38 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Did you actually take the class in Tucson and did you actually read the article I posted about it?

Again: Arizona Bill Targets Classes Promoting Ethnic Resentment
Do you really think it's necessary to ban ethnic studies from all schools in Arizona because of two teachers in one school district? You don't see other states going out of the way to ban Ethnic Studies classes. Some people actually go on to earn a degree from college in Ethnic Studies.

I find it funny that Republicans are all about less government in our lives but here we have a case of government over steping it's boundary and telling students what they can't learn. Hypocritical much?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Do you really think it's necessary to ban ethnic studies from all schools in Arizona because of two teachers in one school district? You don't see other states going out of the way to ban Ethnic Studies classes. Some people actually go on to earn a degree from college in Ethnic Studies.

I find it funny that Republicans are all about less government in our lives but here we have a case of government over steping it's boundary and telling students what they can't learn. Hypocritical much?
Nobody ever said that there were no other classes that were being taught that way in Arizona. Those were just the examples, and just because someone goes on to earn a degree in Ethnic Studies from a college certainly doesn't mean that those type of classes promoting the same type of garbage like "the overthrow of the United States government", or "resentment towards a race or class of people" aren't being taught there as well. I hope you're not assuming that I am a Republican because I am not (I'm not sure who you were aiming that hypocritical statement towards).

Last edited by AZLiam; 07-21-2010 at 08:25 PM..

Old 07-21-2010, 10:23 PM

182 posts, read 314,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrow08 View Post
As far as the job issue.....you can suck it Brody! If illlegals weren't here working for less than minimum wage typically (and then sending lots of there earning to Mexico btw) then there would still be more decent paying jobs for the common working American citizen!! Try working at a Western Union and see the over-welming # of times this is done on a daily basis! Besides, as far as Arizona goes it is not so much the job issue. It is the extremely high crime that is created by the numerous latino gangs and unlawful immigrants. Enough is enough no matter what state it is.
so you're saying "illegals" are only from Mexico?. Where do you live? Do you not know that illegals are not just from Mexico, but also from Canada, India, Pakistan, China, Brazil, Ethiopia, Russia, Iran etc. You sir need to travel a bit more, see the world for what it is.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Nobody ever said that there were no other classes that were being taught that way in Arizona. Those were just the examples, and just because someone goes on to earn a degree in Ethnic Studies from a college certainly doesn't mean that those type of classes promoting the same type of garbage like "the overthrow of the United States government", or "resentment towards a race or class of people" aren't being taught there as well. I hope you're not assuming that I am a Republican because I am not (I'm not sure who you were aiming that hypocritical statement towards).
They only gave two examples, I am sorry but if you are going to ban a subject being taught in schools I am going to need more than than that, how about they launch a state wide inquiry into ALL ethnic studies classes in Arizona.

Never claimed you were Republican, just saying this bill created to ban the classes was created by a Republican. Republicans love to spout that they are all about less government and that government should stay out of our lives but here we have a case of government of over reaching and telling school districts what it can teach. This isn't a government issue this is a school district issue and they should be the one's handling the problem, not the government!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
They only gave two examples, I am sorry but if you are going to ban a subject being taught in schools I am going to need more than than that, how about they launch a state wide inquiry into ALL ethnic studies classes in Arizona.

Never claimed you were Republican, just saying this bill created to ban the classes was created by a Republican. Republicans love to spout that they are all about less government and that government should stay out of our lives but here we have a case of government of over reaching and telling school districts what it can teach. This isn't a government issue this is a school district issue and they should be the one's handling the problem, not the government!
As Bill Maher so correctly says: "Not all Republicans are racists but all racists are Republican." Arizona has a lot of Republicans.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:29 AM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
As Bill Maher so correctly says: "Not all Republicans are racists but all racists are Republican." Arizona has a lot of Republicans.
Nothing could be further from the truth with that generalization. If you actually believe that, you are quite mistaken.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody_1008 View Post
so you're saying "illegals" are only from Mexico?. Where do you live? Do you not know that illegals are not just from Mexico, but also from Canada, India, Pakistan, China, Brazil, Ethiopia, Russia, Iran etc. You sir need to travel a bit more, see the world for what it is.
According to the Department of Homeland Security, the countries of birth of the unauthorized immigrant population in 2006:

Mexico - 57%
El Salvador - 4%
Guatemala - 4%
Philippines - 2%
Honduras - 2%
India - 2%
Korea - 2%
Brazil - 2%
China - 2%
Vietnam - 2%
Other countries - 21%

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...ll_pe_2006.pdf

So, whereas it's true that illegal aliens come from many different countries, obviously illegal aliens from Mexico are the majority and many times higher than from any other country. It's important to have an honest perspective on the issue.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-22-2010 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 08:21 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
Most AMERICANS support this law! And NO People from SanFran or Boston are not EVERY AMERICAN.
Oh so now you've polled all 300+ million Americans, and they all think the same way you do? Oh, I'm sorry, I mean 290 million Americans; afterall, those fake Americans in San Francisco and Boston don't count (strikes a bit too close to Palin rhetoric for my taste, personally)... Speak for yourself and no one else...afterall, that's what your vote entitles you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.