Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times

Advertisements

Ironic that the states where people drone on and on about welfare mooches are rated as the laziest states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Lazy doesn't equal overweight/fat. People can be high school drop outs and too lazy to get a job and still be skinny, and there can be people who work hard, have two jobs, volunteer with their kids schools, etc and be slightly over weight. Just pointing that out.

This is another one of those stupid lists that don't prove anything.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
I'm guessing the least laziest states are Colorado, Alaska, and Washington.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:40 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,971,322 times
Of course the top 10 are all Southern states! (I'll include Delaware as Southern just for the sake of the list.)

But I do agree with some of these posters, when I visit my dad in the South (Oklahoma) I'm driven to stay inside all day because I really don't like the heat/humidity. I'm active outside during the evening though.

I'm glad I live in Colorado where there's naturally plenty of outdoor activities, and we're the healthiest state! However, today I did try to go jogging in the middle of the day... It was doable, but I don't advise it to anyone. Ugh!

I know it's only a lazy list and not an obese list, but it drove me in that direction.. :S

Old 07-27-2010, 11:27 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Yes my home state of Arkansas is three!

I love that it's still a state where apparently people spend time "on physically inactive pursuits, such as sleeping, watching television, relaxing, thinking, socializing, playing board games, and surfing the Internet." I remember going down home playing checkers with people or enjoying the scenery and talking with friends. I think there was some fear development would kill all that. In a very workaholic country it's nice there are places that value the more relaxing pleasures in life. (Obesity I don't think is so much because people sit and chat than it is because people have sedentary jobs and eat fast foods. And anyway I think I'd rather be fat and enjoy life, however long it lasts, than thin and stressed) Particularly as things like "board games, thinking, socializing" can be good for creativity or learning. I imagine they are including reading as sedentary too and some of the most bookworm types I know are down home. Although it looks like Louisiana beats us so we might still have work to do in not working.

North Carolina and Tennessee also look high and I've been thinking it would be neat to visit them.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Ironic that the states where people drone on and on about welfare mooches are rated as the laziest states.
because those states also have a lot of welfare moochers... The South has the droners and the moochers.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yet lots of these states are considered some of the healthiest. This is why you don't take these type of list serious.
and which states would that be? Seriously take a look at the top ten, those states aren't anywhere near healthy.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Yes my home state of Arkansas is three!

I love that it's still a state where apparently people spend time "on physically inactive pursuits, such as sleeping, watching television, relaxing, thinking, socializing, playing board games, and surfing the Internet." I remember going down home playing checkers with people or enjoying the scenery and talking with friends. I think there was some fear development would kill all that. In a very workaholic country it's nice there are places that value the more relaxing pleasures in life. (Obesity I don't think is so much because people sit and chat than it is because people have sedentary jobs and eat fast foods. And anyway I think I'd rather be fat and enjoy life, however long it lasts, than thin and stressed) Particularly as things like "board games, thinking, socializing" can be good for creativity or learning. I imagine they are including reading as sedentary too and some of the most bookworm types I know are down home. Although it looks like Louisiana beats us so we might still have work to do in not working.

North Carolina and Tennessee also look high and I've been thinking it would be neat to visit them.

Are you sure about that?

Side effects from obesity
1. Diabetes
2. Hyperlipidemia
3. Blood circulation diseases like arteriosclerosis, high blood pressure, heart disease, and palsy
4. Skin disease
5. Joint problems, back, knee, and ankle pain
6. Liver disease
7. Cholelithiasis
8. Menstrual abnormalities
9. Female infertility
10. Breast cancer - autodiagnosis
11. Endometrium cancer
12. Decline in libido
13. Mental stress

sure sounds like an enjoyable life, where do I sign up?

Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
NY should be exempt because NYC is NOT lazy at all. It's probably the least laziest city, so why should NY be #11?
Exempt?

You just throw that out with no justification. At least before you used to give some lame story about this person you know that does this or that, or "you always see people walking in NYC".

NYC accounts for about 40% of the population of the entire state and would have a major impact on any poll involving the whole state.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:36 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
and which states would that be? Seriously take a look at the top ten, those states aren't anywhere near healthy.
Yep, whole states are unhealthy. Brilliant.

When you look at these lists, which are a joke to begin with, the separation between top and bottom is usually not that large so don't go puffing your chest out about your state's rank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.