Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would be most ideal for me?
Tucson (U of A) 2 11.11%
Los Angeles (Keck School of Med) 1 5.56%
Sacramento (UC-Davis) 2 11.11%
Denver/Aurora (U of CO) 0 0%
Gainesville (U of F) 0 0%
Tampa (USF) 1 5.56%
Miami (U of Miami) 3 16.67%
Albuquerque (U of NM) 1 5.56%
Portland (Oregon Health and Sciences) 2 11.11%
Charleston (Med. U of SC) 0 0%
Houston (Baylor/Methodist/UT) 5 27.78%
Lubbock (Texas Tech) 0 0%
San Antonio (UT Health Sciences) 1 5.56%
Temple (Texas A&M) 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM

461 posts, read 863,267 times

Advertisements

26 y/o student looking to move for 3 year residency next May/June (2011).

Here are my "requirements"/wants/likes:

-University where I can do my residency.

-Warm Weather city - I would ideally live somewhere where it is 70-80 all the time, but know that it is limited to San Fran area. So realistically I would much rather live in 50-110 degrees rather than 0-80 weather. I hate cold weather/snow!

-Decent size > 150-200K. The bigger the better almost because of the criteria below

-Good size active Indian population (not native american). I would like to find an Indian girl (as I am Indian) eventually for a long term relationship/marriage. In my opinion the Indian population are obviously in big cities (san fran, houston, chicago, nyc). But in my experience there are lots of Indians in a college town also.

-Good geography! I like to hike! I like to swim! It would be ideal if the city was very close to a beach, clean "swimmable" river, mountains, national park, etc.

-Good culture (museums, arts, music, indie theater)/food (mexican, indian, asian)/diversity.

I like hot weather, but I can live somewhere cold if some of my other likes are highlighted immensely. For example, I could live in Portland, where I know it gets cold, if there are tons of Indian girls, close to beautiful scenery, and great cultural opportunities.

Here is my list of cities with the residency program I desire (hope to make a poll):
- Tucson
- Los Angeles
- Sacramento
- Denver/Aurora (U of CO)
- Gainesville
- Tampa
- Miami
- Albuquerque
- Portland
- Charleston, SC
- Houston
- Lubbock
- San Antonio
- Temple

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 06:55 AM

P.S. One of my fav interactive maps/NYT post...just beautiful data!!

Interactive Map Showing Immigration Data Since 1880 - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

Old 07-25-2010, 07:11 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,097,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poophead View Post
26 y/o student looking to move for 3 year residency next May/June (2011).

Here are my "requirements"/wants/likes:

-University where I can do my residency.

-Warm Weather city - I would ideally live somewhere where it is 70-80 all the time, but know that it is limited to San Fran area. So realistically I would much rather live in 50-110 degrees rather than 0-80 weather. I hate cold weather/snow!

-Decent size > 150-200K. The bigger the better almost because of the criteria below

-Good size active Indian population (not native american). I would like to find an Indian girl (as I am Indian) eventually for a long term relationship/marriage. In my opinion the Indian population are obviously in big cities (san fran, houston, chicago, nyc). But in my experience there are lots of Indians in a college town also.

-Good geography! I like to hike! I like to swim! It would be ideal if the city was very close to a beach, clean "swimmable" river, mountains, national park, etc.

-Good culture (museums, arts, music, indie theater)/food (mexican, indian, asian)/diversity.

I like hot weather, but I can live somewhere cold if some of my other likes are highlighted immensely. For example, I could live in Portland, where I know it gets cold, if there are tons of Indian girls, close to beautiful scenery, and great cultural opportunities.

Here is my list of cities with the residency program I desire (hope to make a poll):
- Tucson
- Los Angeles
- Sacramento
- Denver/Aurora (U of CO)
- Gainesville
- Tampa
- Miami
- Albuquerque
- Portland
- Charleston, SC
- Houston
- Lubbock
- San Antonio
- Temple

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
I was actually going to say Boston & Houston. They are ideally the best environments for medical students. Boston has two of the top 10 hospitals, Houston has the top and best, along with the largest medical center in the world- with great medical schools.

The weather criteria fits your needs as well.

I am Indian too (South Asian), I can relate, Houston has a strong Indian population and a large "Little India" section on Hillcroft Avenue.

It meets all your criteria besides the hiking part. Houston is flat, there are Hills in the Northwest side but that's an hour or so away and it's not worth it. But you will find plenty of places to swim in the local pools and such. It's also a coastal city, so the beach is an hour away in Galveston.

Personally Boston has some of the best museums in the nation, but Houston is good too. The Science museum is fantastic and so are some of the other ones, I am into art, theater, museums, & music as well. Houston is no slouch in any of those.

You'll find all those things here. And Boston is also a great alternative, very beautiful city as well, just more expensive than Houston.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:07 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,959,966 times
Houston has a ginormous medical complex there. It's a city within a city. No wait, it's a city all by itself. It's one of the top notch facilities in (the world?). Even the hotels in and near the complex are run by the University solely for the patients.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:15 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,630,840 times
I agree check Houston out also Dallas could work too UT has a medical school there too and so does Baylor A&M has a medical school in Round Rock in the Austin Area also. From what i've read Austin has a growing indian population not like Houston and Dallas of course Austin has some great areas to hike and go swimming.

Austin links

http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/campuses/rr/index.html

http://www.austintexas.org/

http://www.austin-chamber.org/

http://www.iccaustin.org/organizations.html

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/greenbelts.htm

http://www.austinmuseums.org/

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/bartonsprings.htm

Dallas

http://www8.utsouthwestern.edu/

http://www.visitdallas.com/

http://www.dallaschamber.org/

Last edited by bgrn198; 07-25-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 PM

You guys are awesome! I think I sent a few of you some PMs.

Thanks for the Boston suggestion, but it is just way too cold there for me.

Any other suggestions?
I see a few people voted for other cities in the poll. Any reason why?

And thank for the austin links! Lots of Indian communities seems like....cause of the tech sector in Austin????

I love the idea of Austin/Houston, but the lack of geography is concerning...no beaches, rivers, or mountains.
Do you all have lots of lakes to enjoy?

Thanks again! Keep the suggestions and ideas coming!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:39 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,630,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poophead View Post
You guys are awesome! I think I sent a few of you some PMs.

Thanks for the Boston suggestion, but it is just way too cold there for me.

Any other suggestions?
I see a few people voted for other cities in the poll. Any reason why?

And thank for the austin links! Lots of Indian communities seems like....cause of the tech sector in Austin????

I love the idea of Austin/Houston, but the lack of geography is concerning...no beaches, rivers, or mountains.
Do you all have lots of lakes to enjoy?

Thanks again! Keep the suggestions and ideas coming!

Yeah it might be cause the tech sector and the University Of Texas there's quite a few lakes and rivers around Austin like Lake Austin and Lake Travis,lady Bird Lake the Colorado river flows through Austin also nearby you have the Blanco River and San Marcos river down around San Marcos theres the San Gabriel River near Georgetown and down in New Braunfels there's the Guadalupe River alot of people from Austin and San Antonio go down and tube on the San Marcos,Blanco and Guadalupe rivers. True there aren't any mountains but we do have the Texas Hill Country which is beautifull rolling hills in west Austin.

Highland Lakes Visitors Guide

Lake Travis Tourist Guide

Guadalupe River Official Website | Tubing, Camping, & Activities

Tube San Marcos Texas | Lions Club Tube Rental

Texas Hill Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gabriel_River_(Texas)

Old 07-26-2010, 12:44 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,866,487 times
Aside from the lack of mountains/hiking, Houston sounds perfect for you.

Baylor is excellent and has a great reputation. Of course UT and Methodist are great too.

The Texas Medical Center (http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/root/en/GetToKnow/FactsandFigures/Facts+and+Figures.htm - broken link) is really a remarkable place to work, the largest medical district in the world, and so much exciting research taking place.
As for the reference to Austin, I've lived there too and it's a nice enough place, but can't hold a candle to Houston for the medical industry or the multicultural offerings (I have many friends/family working in the medical industry and tell me not only are the opportunities in Houston much better, but the pay as well). After experiencing Houston's museums and restaurant scene, the same in Austin was a disappointment. I was not even aware they had a medical school in Austin.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:52 PM

192 posts, read 437,194 times
Shouldn't your top priority be the quality of the residency program in the specialty you are entering?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM

251 posts, read 711,606 times
Quote:
I was not even aware they had a medical school in Austin.
At the current moment they don't. What Texas A&M has is a small medical branch at its Round Rock Health Science Center that's for third and fourth year medical students to do clinical rotations in Williamson County who are enrolled with the Texas A&M Medical School in B/CS. It's not an actual stand alone Medical School. If you're wanting to do a Residency in Austin (or Travis County), I believe you'd have to do it through UT-Southwestern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.