Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 2 most adhere to: Progressive, liberal, artsy, educated, cafes, bookstores, healthy, trees, ka
Burlington, VT 2 66.67%
Asheville, NC 1 33.33%
Boulder, CO 1 33.33%
Portland, OR 2 66.67%
Eugene, OR 2 66.67%
Chico, CA 1 33.33%
Corvallis, OR 0 0%
Bellingham, WA 0 0%
Beavertown, OR 0 0%
Ithaca, NY 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:30 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,765 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to have a discussion on values... I think that personal values play a big role in the city in which we choose to live, or desire to live.

My question for you is, what are your personal values, and is where you are living now supporting those values?

Lets explore values for a while...

By the way, I am interested in exploring the following cities to see if they support my values:

I am wanting to explore these places:

Portland, OR Burlington, VT
Asheville, NC Boston, MA Cambridge, MA Northhampton, MA San Francisco, CA Berkely, CA Ann Arbor, MI Ithaca, NY Boulder, CO
I currently live in Burlington, Vermont. It is full of artists, writers, and musicians and is VERY liberal and progressive. It's also health conscious and there are many intellectual liberals here. Liberals/Libertarians.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:45 PM

93,679 posts, read 124,432,072 times
You can find neighborhoods that support much of what you are looking for here in Syracuse. In particular, if I were you, I would be looking at the Westcott, University, University Hill and Meadowbrook neighborhoods on the city's Eastside near Syracuse University and LeMoyne College. All of these things are in or close to those neighborhoods:
The Westcott Theater
Syracuse Stage - The Professional Theatre of Central New York
Syracuse Real Food Co-op
Westcott Community Center
Home pageof Paul Robeson Performing Arts Co.
Take a Look Around the Le Moyne College Performing Arts Center

Here's some more information:
Syracuse Arts Net Home
Syracuse Arts Net Directory
Syracuse New Times - The Central New York Alternative, Local Bands & Events Calendar - LATEST ARTICLES
University Lectures
Events Happening Around the Le Moyne College Campus
Onondaga Community College

Old 03-25-2010, 03:37 PM

Location: Philadelphia, PA (Wanting to move) --Burlington, VT, Asheville, NC, Boulder, CO?
129 posts, read 404,765 times
Ckhthankgod-

Thanks for sharing, but I don't think I am particularly interested in New York. Any liberal progressive, artsy, green friendly small cities?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2bforgot10 View Post
Ckhthankgod-

Thanks for sharing, but I don't think I am particularly interested in New York. Any liberal progressive, artsy, green friendly small cities?
Ithaca would be perfect, but if you aren't interested in NY, I guess you can scratch that off your list. By the way, syracuse is only an hour from Ithaca and they are both in Central Upstate NY.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 PM

489 posts, read 1,326,214 times
From what I've researched on Boulder, CO, I think it would be exactly what you're looking for. I would recommend checking out the Boulder forums.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:45 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,428,324 times
You would probably also like Minneapolis... HUGE arts scene, and one of the healthiest cities in America.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:30 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,615,283 times
I'm not sure my opinion counts because I'm more of a liberalitarian, but what I value is a diversity of political opinion, plus economic diversity. You don't find that in these liberal bastions because some people are willing to pay a LOT of money to be insulated from folks who don't think like themselves.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,278,780 times
Quote:
Ckhthankgod-

Thanks for sharing, but I don't think I am particularly interested in New York.
Good, scratch off Ithaca from the cities you heard about.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Good, scratch off Ithaca from the cities you heard about.
This is confusing, as the OP listed it as a possibility, but doesn't want anything in NY? Interesting, considering it is pretty much what they are looking for. I was thinking that they thought that Syracuse was close to NYC, when it is about 4 hours away.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
I am wanting to have a discussion on values... I think that personal values play a big role in the city in which we choose to live, or desire to live.

My question for you is, what are your personal values, and is where you are living now supporting those values?

Lets explore values for a while...

By the way, I am interested in exploring the following cities to see if they support my values:

I am wanting to explore these places:

Portland, OR Burlington, VT
Asheville, NC Boston, MA Cambridge, MA Northhampton, MA San Francisco, CA Berkely, CA Ann Arbor, MI Ithaca, NY Boulder, CO
I currently live in Burlington, Vermont. It is full of artists, writers, and musicians and is VERY liberal and progressive. It's also health conscious and there are many intellectual liberals here. Liberals/Libertarians.

Thanks!
Recently took my daughter to look at UMass Amherst. The college tour guide kept referring to Northhampton as the place where you would go if you needed medical help beyond the college health center, etc, or where more entertainment opportunities could be found...so since I am out of state I asked if that was the nearest "large" city. Two other parents in the group turned and looked at me and with sneers on their faces said "artsy-fartsy" and "leftover hippies".

Made me wanna go there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.