Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:06 AM

7 posts, read 24,022 times

Advertisements

So I posted a while ago trying to get some advice as to where would be a good area to live for a gay couple. I asked about the south in particular because I currently live in the cold snowy upstate ny. The responses I got were not to live in the south, however I have heard the southwest is more accepting and now I am wondering which cities or areas in the southwest are the best? I have heard that albuquerque and santa fe are very accepting. Is this true? What about Tucson or Las Cruces, maybe El Paso? Are there other areas to consider?

In addition to being at least somewhat gay friendly I am looking to move somewhere with good culture, museums, things to do. Medium or small city would be good and the warmer the better.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 12:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Is Austin, TX too far east for you? Some call it San Francisco east as it is very tolerant and has a large gay population.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:30 PM

52 posts, read 208,937 times
Sedona. Done.... And Manitou Springs, CO, but that might be a bit far north to consider the southwest, and it's right next door to the most conservative part of the state.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM

266 posts, read 911,231 times
I live in the Southwest, and it seems to be overall a tolerant, live-and-let-live kind of place. I don't sense a big gay scene here in Albuquerque, but I don't think you'd be bothered. I'm sure you would be fine in any of the big Southwestern cities, such as Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Phoenix, and even in some of the small cities, such as Silver City (NM), Flagstaff (AZ), and Taos.

I don't know why you got scared off by the South. Altanta has a big gay population, and I imagine parts of Florida do too. My parents live in a small city in South Carolina, and a prominent gay couple lives there, and according to the book they wrote about their experience moving to the town, they were not harrassed. (Here is the link to their book

Amazon.com: On A Street Called Easy, In a Cottage Called Joy: Gregory White Smith,Steven Naifeh: Books

Old 03-09-2008, 06:37 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Is Austin, TX too far east for you? Some call it San Francisco east as it is very tolerant and has a large gay population.
Yeah...I would Say Los Angeles(which is Southwest, just cause it's on the coast does not exclude it from being southwest)...but if you count all of Texas; Austin and Dallas are places to keep in mind too. Dallas boasts the 9th largest gay population (Los Angeles i believe is like 5-7)... some in the area would not boast but if you stay city proper most of the time no one will care, and even then some I see Gays around where I live sometimes and they don't seem all oppressed and sad.
San Fran= 1
Seattle= 2

Old 03-09-2008, 07:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times
Is Boulder too far north for you? Colorado is kind of southwest. It has a southwest feel to it.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:46 PM

251 posts, read 710,133 times
What are you looking for in terms of gay, men or women, age, ethnic background, ect, and what career or field are you in?

Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM

552 posts, read 1,073,097 times
Tucson is very gay friendly. As for having culture, museums, and things to do... if you aren't outdoorsy, it can get boring quick.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
santa fe is one of the most gay cities in the US,check the stats, and yes Albuquerque is very accepting,I see lesbian and gay couple often actually.Nothing surprises anyone around here you are accepted the way you are.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Las Vegas is pretty gay friendly.

The metro population is about 2 million, but it doesn't feel big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.