Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 11:12 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
However, I was raised in Texas by Austin and the heat is one of the reasons why I will probably not go back. That and I like seasons so much is probably why I like Toronto and Chicago so much.
Funny, because I think Toronto's weather is generally rotten.
I can understand enjoying the seasons,
but how can having 7-months-a-year below 65 F could not seem at least a little excessive?

Anyways, regardless I'm happy you found a place you like.

Okay to the other posts...

Eastern NC still has some BIG hills in places (the Raleigh area is considered East NC). I've seen streets that go up and down about 150 feet in elevation and that wasn't even for a river valley. Much hillier than where I'm from.

What would keep me from living in Texas?
It's in the wrong country.

(sorry, but I thought my posts could be comedic relief.)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 06-28-2007 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 11:16 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
unbearable is a subjective term. unbearable to some is 85 degrees with 0% humidity, and who are you to say otherwise? i'm sure if someone from international falls, minnesota claimed their winters were not unbearable, they'd be eaten alive in this forum.
Good post. Made me laugh...

For me even 90 F with 0% humidity, not only is it not unbearable, that kind of "heat" is unnoticeable.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Honestly I have nothing against NC but it seems NC people have a problem with Texas?
Yes, they seem to think that their flat mundane landscapes are better just because it's North Carolina instead of Texas!

Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 AM

32 posts, read 56,014 times
I have been to Texas several times (Dallas and San Antonio) while I never got to see as much of San Antonio as I would have liked, I did like the riverwalk. Yes the heat was unbearable at times. I guess you would treat Jul and Aug like most people in New England treat Jan and Feb, just stay indoors. But Dallas is another story, the traffic, the people, the congestion, the constuction, I did not enjoy Dallas at all. I went to several different stores (Wal-Mart, some bars, and others) and I felt like I was in Mexico. It seems that English IS the second language in Dallas. I went to a GNC store and the clerk there did not speak enough english to help me find what I needed. I would not recommend living in Dallas, but San Antonio seemed more like a place to live.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

Many places have record breaking temperatures, but they don't stay around. I think if one were to compare your city in Texas weather history and do the same with NYC weather history over the hottest months of the year, I believe you'd see the difference. Heat doesn't last what seems forever in other places as it very well can in Texas.

Of course, this month in Texas is very unusual, and I'm loving it.
I know all of this. I was just proving a point that it hasn't gotten any hotter down here than up there.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
Well of course I'm going to take flat as a bad thing when you put it in the same sentence as "UGLY". I understand your opinions and I've said I've accepted them,but I just feel many of the things people have said about Texas on here are wrong and obviously haven't spent enough time in Texas to call it ugly.
just for the record - i NEVER said Texas was flat and ugly. i was making a compliation of comments. i agreed with the poster who didn't like the texas culture and the "center of the universe" feeling you get there.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
unbearable is a subjective term. unbearable to some is 85 degrees with 0% humidity, and who are you to say otherwise? i'm sure if someone from international falls, minnesota claimed their winters were not unbearable, they'd be eaten alive in this forum.
Because it gets annoying when a bunch of grown adults can't explain something without embellishing or sugarcoating a bad situation by making it worse than it really is.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
At least the mountains of North Carolina are beautiful.
If God put it here, it's beautiful. Make no doubt about that.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
ahem featurless? please explain. What the hell do yall Texans have against NC anyway? .
It goes both ways. When you see people that say the majority of Texas is flat or it's a desert and how it's bashed, you don' think Texans will respond? It's coming from Carolinians and people that love North Carolina as well.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:38 AM

252 posts, read 710,016 times
I was pleasantly surprised when we drove through Texas on our way to Galveston for a cruise. I had my opinion about Texans because all I've ever heard from them gave me the impression that they thought Texas was the center of the universe. Most of the people on the cruise were from Texas. DH and I had the greatest time. The people from Texas were so laid back and fun.

And we liked what we saw as we were driving in the state. However, if I were to live in Texas, I wouldn't live in any of the big cities - especially Houston. Man, that highway system scared me. I've lived outside DC and drove on the Beltway. I never want to drive in that kind of traffic again.

But, I could never live in Texas due to the heat and humidity. I live in the Memphis, Tennessee area now and I can barely stand the summers here. I'm a transplanted Maine-iac and prefer the temperature to be cooler and the humidity lower than what I would find in Texas. I don't miss the Maine winters, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.