Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:56 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,327 times

Advertisements

Wow so many I would also like to visit every state but Seatle I have big interest in since been here as the pics look amazing and there are a lot of positives about the city. Also chicago which I hope to be moving too soon for job offer, again has many positives and looks a great place. All New England just love the look of the place, ah so many places to name but determined to see them all oene day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 03:03 PM

332 posts, read 449,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
If what you just said is true than Texas is headed for trouble way before North Carolina, just remember you said it. Prove below:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/2007/cb07-91table2.xls (broken link)
Lets not turn this thread into a debate between NC and Texas agian,lol.

I didn't really have much interest in Philidelphia back than,but I've seen so many wonderful pictures and heard so many good things about it. I've really grown to appreciate and take a big interest in the city.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:17 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Those websites are laughable. If you were trying to present an objective argument against Pennsylvania, you couldn't be further off. They were clearly created by some bored and bitter high-schoolers. Census figures might be a bit more compelling.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-29-2007 at 06:26 PM..

Old 06-29-2007, 06:41 PM

351 posts, read 1,069,067 times
Duderino: No problem....
http://creativeclass.typepad.com/the...tionLosses.pdf

The Scranton area is the most depressing area I've ever seen and I've traveled all over this country. I saw it a year ago and I'd hate to see it when it was worst.....no thanks.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:24 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
I visited North Carolina, as well as southern (Madison/Milwaukee) Wisconsin for the first time this summer. I'll take Wisconsin over North Carolina, thanks.

I don't think this board does justice to Iowa, Pennsylvania or upstate New York, but it reinforces what I already know, have known, knew before I knew, and will always know after I know, in regards to Ohio.

Indianapolis, Louisville, and St Louis have a lot of advocates here. These cities otherwise get very little press and attention. Good job, guys.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Duderino: No problem....
http://creativeclass.typepad.com/the...tionLosses.pdf

The Scranton area is the most depressing area I've ever seen and I've traveled all over this country. I saw it a year ago and I'd hate to see it when it was worst.....no thanks.
1.) Since when is population loss the sole determinant of how "depressing" an area is?

2.) That website focuses explicity focuses on the population loss of the Pittsburgh and Scranton metro areas. Looking at Pennsylvania statewide, there has never been a period of population loss:

Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The one website you presented completely bashed ALL of Pennsylvania on illegitimate grounds. Scranton is one area in our large and diverse state -- and while it may not be the most vibrant area, it's pretty ridiculous to assert that it's more "depressing" than any other part of the economically-stagnant Rust Belt. Upstate New York, Ohio, West Virginia, and Michigan are all home to areas exuding the exact same socioeconomic characteristics.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 PM

351 posts, read 1,069,067 times
Duderino: This will cover all of PA for you. It wasn't the population lost, it was how dirty, trashy, and gloomy the Scranton area is.

Penn Future - PennFuture Reports - Citizens for Pennsylvania's Future: Working to Protect Pennsylvania's Environment and Economy

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 06-30-2007 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-30-2007, 09:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
California is still a wonderful place to call home,but it all depends on your Location and Income whether you'll love it or hate it here ,but unfortunately some people tend to Generalize the entire state based on their bad experiences here.

If CA truly was heading down the drain,I wouldn't be living here

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
The California forum here definitely make that state seem less appealing, in a whole lot of ways. I haven't been out there in years... sounds like it's taken a turn for the worse since my last visit.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Duderino: This will cover all of PA for you. It wasn't the population lost, it was how dirty, trashy, and gloomy the Scranton area is.

Penn Future - PennFuture Reports - Citizens for Pennsylvania's Future: Working to Protect Pennsylvania's Environment and Economy
Yep, you could take the unneccessarily gloomy assessment of Pennsylvania's economy based on its environmental record (which is rather silly, considering ALL of the United States has a horrible environmental records, and cities in the Sun Belt take the cake for sprawl and pollution), but there are plenty of more positive developments:

http://www.pennfuture.org/UserFiles/...sefinal614.pdf
Penn State News
Report: Commonwealth's Investment in Medical Research Returning Major Dividends for Pennsylvania's Economy. Industry & Business Article - Research, News, Information, Contacts, Divisions, Subsidiaries, Business Associations
Academic medical centers impact state's economy - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Old 07-01-2007, 08:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliguy2007 View Post
California is still a wonderful place to call home,but it all depends on your Location and Income whether you'll love it or hate it here ,but unfortunately some people tend to Generalize the entire state based on their bad experiences here.

If CA truly was heading down the drain,I wouldn't be living here
i like this because you can take out California, insert one of the other 49 states, and it would still be a true statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.