Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,009 times

Advertisements

This thread is to talk about something that bothers me a whole lot on CD. It seems like small towns (especially small towns in the south) get a whole lot of hate on here and have a whole lot of stereotypes. Som of them being:

Racist
Dumb
Boring
No history
Religious (I don't know what's wrong with having religious beliefs, but here on CD it's used as a synonym for axe-murderer so I decided to include it)

The list goes on and on. I've been to countless small towns, and I have to say a lot of these stereotypes are NOT true. Especially the ones about small towns and racism. I've found that I get friendlier treatment in towns like Luling, Gonzales, Cuero, and Lockhart (all small Texas towns for those not from here) than I do here in Austin. I've also met many intelligent and interesting people in these towns and find that most of the people here are honest, hardworking, good-natured, humble people. Which is a lot more than you can say for a lot of people in big cities.

So what's with the hate? Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times
Well Smaller towns are very boring. That is a fact is not a stereotypes. I have been to plenty of small towns, and I felt like I was going to end up in a nut house. Also smaller towns tend to be conservative, because there is not a lot of diversity. So this is why, people that lives in smaller towns can be racist when compare to bigger towns.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:32 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
This bothers me, too. I'm from a small town. I've lived in big cities (Minneapolis, Atlanta) and I will never go back. I will take my "boring," friendly small town over anything the big city can offer me.

Also, my town is anything but "conservative" or "racist." It's mostly moderate, with more liberals than conservatives. Also, it's very diverse: Africans, Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, blacks and whites all live here.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
Also, I find big cities more boring than small towns. I've been to Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa, San Francisco, San Jose, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and St. Louis, among a few others I may be forgetting. If you've seem one big city, you've seen them all. They're all the same. Transplants, big business, suburbia, malls, busy streets, traffic, congestion, crime. They all offer the same things.

Small towns are unique.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Well Smaller towns are very boring. That is a fact is not a stereotypes. I have been to plenty of small towns, and I felt like I was going to end up in a nut house. Also smaller towns tend to be conservative, because there is not a lot of diversity. So this is why, people that lives in smaller towns can be racist when compare to bigger towns.
Do people know what a fact is anymore? This is extremely subjective. Also, conservative doesn't automatically equal racist. I doubt the klan thinks very highly of Bobby Jindal. And I say this as somebody who detests hardcore conservatives (then again I detest hardcore liberals too, but still).

Old 09-14-2010, 03:14 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,704,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Do people know what a fact is anymore? This is extremely subjective. Also, conservative doesn't automatically equal racist. I doubt the klan thinks very highly of Bobby Jindal. And I say this as somebody who detests hardcore conservatives (then again I detest hardcore liberals too, but still).
Hm Ok, ok lol. I wouldnt say all small towns are racists...

Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,203,997 times
Because they are boring.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:30 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Whats funny is some of these "smaller towns" have more bustling city centers & cultural offerings per capita than their bigger city peers.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,738,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Because they are boring.
pretty much.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:12 PM

867 posts, read 2,140,738 times
think its just because of the stereotype that small towns get ive spent time in both big cities and small towns and like both tbh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.