Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 01:19 PM

6 posts, read 20,785 times

Advertisements

(the title should be "Which state has the lowest cost of living/unemployment")

Hi,

I live in the north VA area, and I really want to move away from here.

What I'm looking for is the state with the lowest cost of living and unemployment. These are the 2 most important things. A nice landscape would be a plus.so, If you live in such a state please inform me. I would appreciate it very much. I was thinking of Minnesota, but I'm not sure yet. What do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mxwert; 06-30-2007 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: misspell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 11:40 PM

673 posts, read 4,068,684 times
Which states have a low housing values and low unemployment rates.

-North Dakota: Especially Fargo and Grand Forks
-South Dakota: Sioux Falls (although wages are low)
-Minnesota: Rochester (high wages, low housing values but this mainly because of the medical facilities they have there) the rest of Minnesota is really not a low housing value state
-Nebraska: Omaha (low unemployment rate, low housing values)
-Iowa: Des Moines, Western Iowa (low unemployment rates, low housing values, good employment growth) Eastern Iowa is more rust-beltish.

Overall, I would say the Great plains states would probubly fit in the criteria best when it comes to very low unemployment rates and low housing values. Energy is fairly cheap also on the great plains as coal is fairly close also.
The only thing about the Great Plains states is the wages (Bureau of Economic Analysis) are some of the lowest in the country regionally especially in the rural areas and smaller metro areas although areas such as Des Moines, Omaha and Rochester are fairly close to the national average.

On the Bureau of Labor statistics website it also seems like Oklahoma's metropolitan areas have fairly low unemployment rates at times and it is a fairly cheap state tend to live in. Although it seems Oklahoma's unemployment rate tends to be slightly higher usually then alot of the plains states however.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,529,716 times
Default One Of The Highest Unemployment Rate...

Prescott and Prescott Valley, Arizona.

There are no jobs here. Most people that work here are the ones who grew up here and grew up with the bosses and managers. It's a really small boring town here. I'm still having problems getting a job here. I might just have to move back to Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.