Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:43 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

I wonder how this will effect Chicago. Midway has Southwest's largest number of gates as well as daily flights. I've also noticed that Southwest flies to over 50 cities from Midway - but NOT Atlanta. I assume that will change and probably be an issue for Delta.

AirTran isn't in the city right now, but they are up in Milwaukee as a hub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

AirTran isn't in the city right now, but they are up in Milwaukee as a hub.
Air Tran flies ATL-MDW several times daily.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
LANative - I heard some rumors that Southwest is looking to put flights in and out of Trenton/Mercer airport in NJ - Anyword on that? US Air used to run some RJs out of the there to Boston and DC. Would love to see that airport get going, Another Option there with an expanded SW would be Interesting, Though the expanded SW will have a decent size operation out of Philly combined with AT (more trouble for US Air) but i do not believe Southwest flys out of EWR, AirTran may

My other Question is I thought the cheaper airlines shyed away from the hub and spoke, I would never use a low cost airline with connections so why would Atlanta be so attractive in that sense?

Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
but i do not believe Southwest flys out of EWR, AirTran may
Southwest hits EWR and LGA or they've recently gotten approval to serve EWR.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
My other Question is I thought the cheaper airlines shyed away from the hub and spoke, I would never use a low cost airline with connections so why would Atlanta be so attractive in that sense?
This is more about the O&D that Atlanta has. Southwest officially doesn't have "hubs," they call them focus cities. Anyway, AirTran has done VERY well here with their hub (as they have in BWI). Southwest has wanted to be here for years, but Delta & AirTran have had a lock on the gates. There are no available gates here for a new entrant, so this was a pretty creative way to enter the market.

Overnight, Southwest will be a huge force here with 31 gates, and analysts have been on the news all day saying this could mean an additional 2 million passengers a year for ATL.

I really hate to see AirTran go, to tell you the truth. They have a very young fleet, an affordable Business Class, wifi, XM radio and pre-assigned seating. It appears only the wifi will be kept, since Southwest was already introducing it system wide.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
southwest needs to fix them raggedy planes

Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,686 times
No first class? Looks like I'll be looking for a new airline to fly.

I also think this is horrible for Floridas economy the unemployment rate for 11.6 and just for the orlando area its at 12%. As someone who lives in Florida its hard enough to get a job as it is and now this happens and many people will lose their jobs.

Last edited by cheerbaby112; 09-27-2010 at 11:55 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 11:33 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
southwest needs to fix them raggedy planes
Hey, those little purple planes are just as faded and patched up as can be but they get the job done. I'll never forget the time Shamu rolled up to the gate with rivets and all types of metal work patched and welded to it. I was like WTF?

Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
No first class? Looks like I'll be looking for a new airline to fly.

I also think this is horrible for Floridas economy the unemployment rate for 11.6 and just for the orlando area its at 12%. As someone who lives in Florida its hard enough to get a job as it is and now this happens and many people will lose their jobs.
I won't be that bad for Florida in the long run. A couple of people at the AirTran HQ's in Orlando will lose their jobs, some will be offered transfers to Dallas. The front line employees at the airports should be fine. Southwest has far superior pay and benefits, so the workers will actually be better off.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Hey, those little purple planes are just as faded and patched up as can be but they get the job done. I'll never forget the time Shamu rolled up to the gate with rivets and all types of metal work patched and welded to it. I was like WTF?
LOL! The only Southwest flight I have ever taken was Shamu, from Phoenix to San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.