Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the real Soul and Sound of the South?
Blues 7 28.00%
Classic Country 7 28.00%
Mo-Town 0 0%
Southern Rock 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:07 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,008,559 times

Advertisements

I would say Classic Country comes first, because things like the Grand Ole Opry and the Louisiana Hayride came first, blues second and southern rock at third. Mo-Town I wouldn't count.

But no bluegrass? No gospel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 01:10 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post

I really don't like voting for just one, but I'll say classic country music. When I think of the South, I think country and bluegrass. Jazz is popular in NYC and Chicago. The blues really came out of Chicago.
We are talking about where it was birthed and the blues did not start out of Chicago at all.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:13 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
Quote:
Motown is from Michigan. Motown = Detroit. Midwestern. I know you say it has "Southern roots," but it came out of the Midwest, not the South.

I really don't like voting for just one, but I'll say classic country music. When I think of the South, I think country and bluegrass. Jazz is popular in NYC and Chicago. The blues really came out of Chicago.
the blues did NOT, i repeat NOT, come out of chicago. at all. the blues were in the mississippi delta for years, and was transplanted to chicago (although many of the arists continued to return to MS and the music remained popular down there as always and lived on in juke joints). please read up on music history. all "chicago blues" was was black mississippi music being popularized into the north.

howlin' wolf, muddy waters, willie dixon, bo diddle, jimmy reed, ALL were born in mississippi, raised there, and learned their music there. chicago blues was simply music that mississippians brought with them from mississippi to chicago. and that is just electric blues, which came later. the earlier guys like skip james, booker white, and of course the famous robert johnson never took their blues north. blues originated in the delta of mississippi.

but i do agree that "bluegrass" or "mountain folk music" should have been included, as that was the origin of classic country music. in fact, the further you go back the more white and black music sound alike in the south.

take dock boggs for example, he sounds more "blues" than mississippi john hurt did. "piedmont blues" often sounds a lot like country or folk music.

to me, the "soul" of southern music breaks down to both mountain folk/old-time music and black gospel, so a combination of those two would be my vote if possible. here are examples:
mountain folk---------------------------------------------------------------black gospel

but pretty much all american music, and near all popular music in the world today is tied to the american south. blues, jazz, country, rock, bluegrass, r and b, soul, funk all originated in the south. so really the south's music is the "soul and sound" of america's music in general.
mississippi got it right:

Last edited by JimmyJohnWilson; 10-03-2010 at 01:41 PM..

Old 10-03-2010, 01:23 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Motown is from Michigan. Motown = Detroit. Midwestern. I know you say it has "Southern roots," but it came out of the Midwest, not the South.

Pleeeze tell me you are mis-typing or joking, Kazoo! LOL I mean, c'mon, it is about the most established fact in the world that the "Blues" originated in the Mississippi delta area.

Now, I will agree with you (and others) that Mo-Town should not have been a choice. My mistake on that one for sure. While it has definite Southern roots, it is at least equally Midwestern. If a Mod will help me, I would like to replace the MO-Town option with "Southern Gospel" and/or "Dixieland Jazz."

But back to the point, sorry to be so blunt, but the idea that Blues came out of Chicago is just...uhhhhh?

Old 10-03-2010, 03:55 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Just like a cop...where is a Mod when you need one?

GOTTA re-vamp the options to eliminate MO-Town (or maybe just replace it with "Soul"), and insert Southern Gospel, Blue-Grass, and Dixieland Jazz! And "Other" for any other that I apparently missed.

Aww, hell, I will do it myself!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
I know the blues originated in the South! However, the music form was popularized in Chicago. It's at least as Midwestern as it is Southern.

The blues is a major artifact of Chicago's black culture (no racism intended). Most blacks in Chicago came from Mississippi, so there is a connection.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:41 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
I know the blues originated in the South! However, the music form was popularized in Chicago. It's at least as Midwestern as it is Southern.

The blues is a major artifact of Chicago's black culture (no racism intended). Most blacks in Chicago came from Mississippi, so there is a connection.
We wouldn't deny that. But the blues is a Southern born genre that just simply moved to the Midwest mostly during the great migration when Black Mississippians moved there. But to say that blues really came out of Chicago is false anyway you say it.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
We wouldn't deny that. But the blues is a Southern born genre that just simply moved to the Midwest mostly during the great migration when Black Mississippians moved there. But to say that blues really came out of Chicago is false anyway you say it.
Good Lord, I just cant believe kazoo is minimalizing the blues coming out of the South.
Highway 61?
The crossroads?????
A Short History of the Blues
and this.....
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=18724

Last edited by kshe95girl; 10-03-2010 at 09:38 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

75 posts, read 91,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post

skip james

This one is what I call "being true to the original".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpaaR4HC028

Old 10-08-2010, 07:01 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:

The blues is by far more southern than midwestern. It would be silly to deny that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.