Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should I go with?
Houston TX - Zero family or friends 14 53.85%
Raleigh NC - Family support system 12 46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 PM

27 posts, read 91,427 times

Advertisements

If you had a choice in two cities in which to relocate would you choose the city where you don't know anyone at all? or a city where you have family?

I'm contemplating whether to move to Houston or Raleigh. I'm from Philadelphia and most of my family resides in this area. I have family in Raleigh who I'm fairly close to. But I visited Houston recently and I really liked it a lot. I don't have any family or friends in Houston at all, plus Texas is really far away from the east cost.

I'm 27
Single
Male
RN

So should I move to Houston which is a much bigger city, a great medical center, good economy, but no support system? Or Raleigh where I have family established.

P.S. I don't have a job lined up in either city. Just my savings account
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyLA View Post
If you had a choice in two cities in which to relocate would you choose the city where you don't know anyone at all? or a city where you have family?

I'm contemplating whether to move to Houston or Raleigh. I'm from Philadelphia and most of my family resides in this area. I have family in Raleigh who I'm fairly close to. But I visited Houston recently and I really liked it a lot. I don't have any family or friends in Houston at all, plus Texas is really far away from the east cost.

I'm 27
Single
Male
RN

So should I move to Houston which is a much bigger city, a great medical center, good economy, but no support system? Or Raleigh where I have family established.

It really depends. If being near family members is very important to you than I would choose Raleigh but if your the type that doesn't need to live in a close proximity to family members then I would choose Houston. The city has a better economy, more cosmopolitan, and is a bigger city than Raleigh. Since your used to living in a big city, Houston should fit you fine since it is one of the top 5 largest cities like Philadelphia. Though you will definitely need a car if you are going to move there. Overall if I had to pick, I would go with Houston. You can always visit family during the holidays and vacation.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,970,870 times
Move to Houston, you will make new family.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,222,689 times
Based on your post I'd say honestly, nobody can really answer that question but you because none of us know you personally. People can give their opinions on which city they think is better but that doesn't necessarily make it better for you.

How close are you to your family in Raleigh? Is being close to family an important factor for you? If so, Raleigh is a no-brainer. If being close really isn't that important or you just want to get out and explore a new place, Houston is the 4th largest city and I'm sure it'd offer a unique experience. Then again, so would Raleigh I imagine. Either way, if you're outgoing enough I'm sure you'd meet new people in either city. Neither of them have a reputation for being insular or cold at all.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,841 times
Hey there I'm 26, single, male, RN. I'm from Denver. I've been in Dallas 10 years now. I graduate Psych NP school next year, and I'm actually thinking about moving to DC or VA. The cost of living out here in amazing, but i feel like it's lacking in culture and social events. I've been to DC for Memorial Day weekend and I loved it! Plus I miss the cooler winters.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
I moved to a city where I knew no one. It turned out just fine. You have to decide which city has the most to offer you. I personally would not choose a city based on the fact that alone that I had family there. If that was the only feature and the other had better opportunities and options, that one would be my choice.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
If you needed to be near your family, you wouldn't have even asked the question. So, I'm guessing you want permission to move away from family to Houston. I hereby give you permission. Go with blessings!

Plus, even though I'm a democrat from CA, I've always loved TX and found Texans to be the friendliest, most welcoming people on earth, and I've lived in CA, WA, TN, Mexico and Canada, all of which have friendly, welcoming people. But, nothing like Texans. Every time I go to TX it's hard to leave. They keep inviting me to another barbecue!

Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyLA View Post

I'm 27
Single
Male
RN

Being an RN you'll make a heck of a lot more money in Houston than you would in NC.

The COL is relatively low in Houston, especially when compared to the East Coast.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:11 PM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you needed to be near your family, you wouldn't have even asked the question. So, I'm guessing you want permission to move away from family to Houston. I hereby give you permission. Go with blessings!

Plus, even though I'm a democrat from CA, I've always loved TX and found Texans to be the friendliest, most welcoming people on earth, and I've lived in CA, WA, TN, Mexico and Canada, all of which have friendly, welcoming people. But, nothing like Texans. Every time I go to TX it's hard to leave. They keep inviting me to another barbecue!

^^This.

Go to Houston. They have planes there that go to North Carolina.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:36 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
funny question cause it depends so much on the person.

I say, unequivocally, that how much I like a place would be a much bigger factor to me than having friends or family there already. And in the case of your two options, I would much rather live in Houston than Raleigh.

My only significant concern would be moving without a job lined up. Would it help to have a network already in place if you don't yet have a job? Would having close family and friends help to financially offset the cost of moving without a job? If the answers are yes, then that I'd have to add a few points back to the Raleigh column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.